Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2004, 03:20 AM   #1
applejack
Established Member

M.O.C. #702
Jacking Wheels

The Keystone manual for jacking up wheels points to the AL-KO pamphlet for instructions. The AL-KO pamphlet recommends that you do NOT jack up a wheel by the axel or suspension and points back to the Keystone manual for the process. How should the wheel be jacked up ?

applejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 04:00 AM   #2
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
If You need to jack one wheel to change or remove a tire, there's not really an issue with this. If You try and jack the whole side up with one jack, then the spring will be overloaded.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 05:46 PM   #3
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I believe that Keystone wants us to use the spring pad under the axel, I have the fear of a jack slipping off that area ( metal to metal ) I did mine a little different I took a piece of 2.1/2 or 3 inch by 3 inches long chanel, and welded that to a new 12 ton bottel jack the part that screws up and down, I also have a piece of plywood 12" by 12" by 3/4 inch for placing the jack on the ground, the channel cradels the axel tube as close to the springs as possable and it will never slide off the axel. there will be one more problem that you might incounter and that is when the wheel is far enugh to take off you might incounter the wheel skirting get in the way, good luck doing your change.

TT2
Old 09-11-2004, 07:33 PM   #4
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Thanks for the neat postings. Nice info to know. Keep us posted. Happpyrving......
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 02:42 PM   #5
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by NJ Hillbilly

If You need to jack one wheel to change or remove a tire, there's not really an issue with this. If You try and jack the whole side up with one jack, then the spring will be overloaded.

John
You might consider carrying some blocks and a 2x8 that is aproximately 36" in length. Use the blocks under the good tire, just pull forward or back as the case may be. This will elevate the bad tire.
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 03:02 AM   #6
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
Right, but now the load from both tires will be transferred to one tire and axle overloading it since the elevated tire is in the air. This is precisely what they don't want. It's definitely and issue with campers since they are heavily loaded near capacity.

I'd jack an axle at a time so the weight is evenly distributed among all four wheels.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 10:02 AM   #7
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
I agree with John. If disconnected you have 6 points to distribute the load, two front jacks and 4 tires. I feel you should have at least six points when jacking.

I jack mine as close as possible to the tire with a bottle jack. I never jack in the center of the axle. I have never had a tire wear or axle problem so I will stick to my hardheaded method.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote