Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2010, 06:40 PM   #1
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
Installing new range in the kitchen

I'm just wondering if anyone has pulled the tiny stove/oven and replaced it with a full size or apartment size range/oven. I've been doing some measuring and believe it would be possible. I'm the DH and I do all the cooking and literally hate this tiny stove/oven. I'm also a big guy and lighting this oven is just down right stupid and dangerous as it has no safety to turn the gas off if there is no flame. After investigating, I find most RV ovens are this way.

Alwims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:47 PM   #2
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Don't forget it has to run on bottled gas (propane). I don't know if it would have to be coverted or not???
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:43 AM   #3
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
Tom, I'm a little confused at what you are saying. I have propane in my stick house back home and it's the same propane as I run in my Monty. I would just have to buy a propane range, I believe. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:04 AM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
That's correct Alwims. Like Tom, we were hoping you already considered that the replacement oven must be propane. You are ahead of us knowing this and for that reason I don't think you would have an issue as long as you find an oven that will fit the opening and provide the clearances it needs.

I can only think of a few reasons that RV manufacturers use RV ranges is because of their light weight, simplicity and can run on 12v for electricity for boondocking purposes. If your replacement isn't so heavy even with improved features and can be used when boondocking, I think you've got something.

Our range doesn't bother us enough to change it out, but please let us know what you do even if it means you've had to cut out a bigger opening.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:21 AM   #5
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Alwims

Tom, I'm a little confused at what you are saying. I have propane in my stick house back home and it's the same propane as I run in my Monty. I would just have to buy a propane range, I believe. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I was unsure whether an appliance store stove designed to run on natural gas would function properly on propane. I know the charcoal grill we have has a different valve if we wanted to use natural gas instead of propane.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:48 AM   #6
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
I'll definitely have to do some cutting to make the new one fit. We are kind of in between long timers and full timers in that we are only home every 3 months for 3 to 7 days and sometimes not that often. Carol is a travel nurse RN and we go on 13 week assignments. When I buy a new range, I'll make sure it is either designed for propane or has the propane orifice in it so that is not a concern. The only thing that hooks up to our stove now is propane, no electricity of any kind. As for the new stove, if it needs electricity, I'll just wire a plug for it. As for boondocking, it just won't be able to use the electric part of it, but the gas part will still work. Electricity on a gas range is "usually" for an oven light and a clock anyway. This is why I am asking questions here as I never gave a thought to weight of a full size range, doh. I'll have to check on that, but I don't think they weight very much.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:02 AM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Oh, I think a regular range will certainly weigh more than a tiny RV range. My gas range at home uses electricity for the oven igniters in keeping the temperature constant and stuff like that. I suppose a propane equivalent might try the same thing. If electricity is available the range might operate differently and not use the non-electric methods like in an RV.

When you shop for your propane replacement, keep the RV restrictions in mind - clearance, outlet, propane requirements. I have a feeling there will be a solution for you. Since you are prepared to carve out new openings, you have the mindset, you just need to complete the research. It will be fun to hear what you do.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:12 AM   #8
Jim Dickey
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7372
Art, for an RV manufacturer to install the range it has to be DOT approved. I don't think the house type has been certified and with the cost of getting it certified its not going to happen. The question was asked at the Spring Ralley 2 years ago why there was not an igniter for the oven, the Montan Rep stated that none were certified with an igniter by the DOT and the manufactures (of the ranges) stated that the RV industry was to small to justify the expense as they already had an approved Range.

Jim
Jim Dickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:40 AM   #9
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
Hmm, since I'm not an RV manufacturer, I assume I would be OK doing this. I know we replaced the "$4000 to replace Dometic frig." in our motorhome with a household frig and couldn't have been happier. We just ran the generator or inverter when traveling. This will be a project I may undertake after Christmas.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:59 AM   #10
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Make sure the new stove will light without electricity. The new non-commercial (read household) stoves require electricity to ignite the burners. They won't light without it, not even with a match. More safety crap to protect us from ourselves.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:48 PM   #11
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
"More safety crap to protect us from ourselves"
That is why we will try to find one a little older, but nice. We are heading to Weslaco, Texas right after Christmas and there is a used appliance store down there that has good used stuff.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:27 PM   #12
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I would take a look at the "extended stay" or "destination" rv models. I've noticed they have the apartment ranges in them. That might give you a clue at what particular brand to look for. They even have the residential fridges, and some have the apartment dishwashers (18").
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 06:30 PM   #13
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
I saw the right size on Craigslist/Brownsville, so I know they exist. I'm a patient man so I'll find what I need. May just take a while.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:52 AM   #14
WaltandLynne
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10151
Remember the new range needs to fit through the door! The Montana door is about 27". A household range may not fit. Just a thought.
WaltandLynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 06:47 AM   #15
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by WaltandLynne

Remember the new range needs to fit through the door! The Montana door is about 27". A household range may not fit. Just a thought.
Dangit, always someone gotta throw a monkey wrench into my plans every time. I hadn't thought about that yet. Had the same problem with the frig we installed in the motorhome. Had to take the doors off the frig then the door AND frame off the motorhome. After all that, we had about 1/4" to jockey that thing into the coach, but by golly we did it. Thanks for another problem I've got to think about. Ain't no wonder I ain't got no more hair on my head.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:39 AM   #16
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
there is a great topic in Trailer Life this month doing a stove and frig it might give you some ideas.