Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2010, 02:31 AM   #1
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Bike Racks

I have been looking into bike racks and can't figure out how I want to go. I was going to put a hitch on the back of the fiver but have heard to many stories of bikes jumping all over the place back there and of course only others see this happening. I also checked into a bike rack for the pin box but also heard they are a pain to put on there.

I'm just about ready to just say to heck with it and go to Camping World and buy the break down bikes, and put them in fiver and forget it. Really don't like this option either seeings though back at my daughters house i have two brand new bikes sitting there. Won't see them till next May at best.

So what does everyone think about this?

Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 03:12 AM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Dave, I had MorRyde install a heavy duty hitch on my fiver. I only use it with bikes, but, it has a 3000lb hitch weight and a 300lb tongue weight rating. I bought the twin railed bike carrier and cinch my bikes down to the rails then I pull a cover over the both of them. Don't know the year or model of your Montana (might put that in your signature like your truck), but I would not give up. We had two Dahon folding bikes and they are very unstable to ride and a pain in the keester to store underneath. Good Luck, hope this helps.........
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 04:58 AM   #3
drsmart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10690
We wanted to make sure the bike wheels weren't hanging loose, allowing them to swing in and out with the trailer bounce. Went with a Thule rack that holds the wheels and frame securely.
http://www.thule.com/en/CA/Products/...ubletrack.aspx
There are other makes that provide similar features.
We used it on one round trip from Canada to Texas. Although we couldn't see how well it performed during travel, the bikes hadn't changed position and didn't need adjustment at stopovers.
drsmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 06:09 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Just depends on how much trouble you want to go to, what kind/type/model of trailer do you have?
The receiver hitch can be bought at Pep-Boys, I think, or any good Hitch company, they will install it for you, or, you can do it, Then just get a bike hauler and you are good-to-go. I made my bike rack, but they are available all over the place.

http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n...Monte%20frame/

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 08:01 AM   #5
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
I put mine in the bed of the truck up against the rear window. They are held in with bungee cords and held togther with bungee cords. I put a big piece of old carpet between them so they do not rub together.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 09:50 AM   #6
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
I been thinking along the lines of a way to put them on the front of the truck.
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 02:36 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
we have the same hitch as Exav8tr installed by Mor Ryde. It is a stout hitch. We have a swagman dual bike rack and a device that snugs up the rack to the hitch that prevents movement. We ride very solid. Mor Ryde designed the hitch so that it is out far enough that the bikes clear the rear cap.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 05:29 AM   #8
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
We had a hitch installed on the front of our Dodge Ram. The bikes ride low enough on the bike rack that we can still see the road ahead. It works for us.
CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 02:03 PM   #9
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
OK in reply to what fiver I have. Up until April of this yr. we had the 2007 3400RL. When I retired we wanted to look into getting new to start on the full timing. I have been with this forum since we bought it brand new in Oct. 2006. Had several problems with it and kept fixing them and more just kept coming up. I'm not upset with Keytstone or anyone else we just wanted new in hopes of less problems. We went out and tried to deal with several dealers on a brand new 3400RL and the lot price is what they told us was the going price and this was in not ideal times. Needless to say I was not going to pay lot price with no dickering what so ever. So I am now a SOB that is almost exactly like the 3400. and for 10 grand less. Anyway, got off the subject here. I headed out with the new 5er without a hitch installed, so I didn't bring my bikes with us. My mistake but I want to have a bike but really have no place to haul them, without some kind of fabrication done. Back home had welder and everything to do it, but didn't really think I needed them. So I am trying to go with an economical way of doing this.

Thats the reason I no longer have the 5er in my signature. Have become pretty reliant on the vast experience in here and like the forum a bunch.

I seen a bike rack that was hooked to a 5er down here in Gulf State Park and it come off the pin box in the front. Been trying to find it on the internet but for some unknown reason I have not been able to find it. Its just a bolt on to the pin box and come out away from trailer but clear of the truck. This would be a very easy install for me also. Anyone know where I can check into this?

Dave
Old 11-27-2010, 02:15 PM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Dave, I think I have a picture of that front rack somewhere, I will try and look it up.
http://tinyurl.com/2ad3ma7

Oh, that blue thing is the Generator
Old 11-27-2010, 03:22 PM   #11
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
This is the one we have. http://www.amazon.com/Swagman-Cross-.../dp/B0001VO1YY I installed a 1 1/4 to 2 inch adapter and it works great. EZ to put the bikes on and take them off. The wheels fit in the loops and don't move around. We always take our bikes with us. Good luck in your search! Glad you stayed with us ... everyone has something to contribute to the forum.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 02:07 AM   #12
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Dave, I think I have a picture of that front rack somewhere, I will try and look it up.
http://tinyurl.com/2ad3ma7

Oh, that blue thing is the Generator

Ozz, thats similar to the one I seen here. But want to know where I can get one, and at least check on a price. If I ever see that guy around when I go by I will ask him.

Thanks
Dave
Old 11-28-2010, 02:44 AM   #13
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Here are some, you can weld the receiver channel on the hitch, then just use a common bike carrier

Old 11-28-2010, 03:22 PM   #14
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
The big problem on the rack on the front is the bugs are on the bikes unless you cover them,,We carry ours on the rear on a hitch that has been reenforced , but we also cover the bikes so they are out of the dirt and dust, also better security;;;sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote