Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2008, 04:17 AM   #1
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Another Story

Well, yesterday started out pretty good. DW and I went and picked up our friend and took him to the Army Corps of Engineers in Galveston to do some Flounder fishing. It's a great place to fish for Flounder this time of year - with an exception.

We needed to stop for some bait, and found out that the little darlings that are so good to eat were hitting the gummy strawberry lures with the white tail. Of course, they were out. Went on down 61st St. looking for another bait camp, but alas, Ike made sure that any future bait camps will be newly built.

Continuing down and on to Seawall Blvd it dawned on me that there was an Academy (sports store) on the Seawall. Yep! They were "Now Open," but not until 9 O'clock. Hey, only 12 minutes - so took a little ride. To make this part short - we got our lures and headed to the fishing spot, and re-register our friend for entrance. Controlled entrance for COE and retired military and guests.

Okay! Got set up, put bait on, dropped line, and I started walking the periphery of the cement pier walls, now abandonded.

Let me jump ahead first. We caught fish. A couple of Flounder over the minimum 14" size limit, a lot of Sand Trout, and I caught a few Hard Heads. I did catch the most fish, but as I told DW, who was constantly fixing her glasses in a manner indicating a gesture, that "I" was holding my mouth right! We did have fun.

Did I mention "exception?"

As I was walking the periphery, I got my lure hung up. So I'm standing there, pulling and tugging and everything else that can be done, to no avail. Okay! Time to break it loose. Pull, pull, pull, step back, slip, fall into eroded land mass hole, fall down on coral, gravel, asphalt, cut hands (that's plural), elbow, and land on right thigh and right arm.

Well, as you can see from the beginning of the other parts of the story I caught the most fish and had a good day.

But I'm getting to old for this type of crud!

Did I mention somewhere else that if it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all?

..it happens!

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 04:22 AM   #2
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
Is delanara RV park still in existance?
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 04:42 AM   #3
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Rick,
Sorry to say Dellanera RV Park is closed because of Hurricane Ike.
Old 10-18-2008, 04:55 AM   #4
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Is it still there though?
Old 10-18-2008, 05:22 AM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I don't know Rick. I have not traveled down the Western end of the Island. They got hit pretty bad down there, but I just don't know how far down. Dellanera is about 9 miles South of Galveston proper. The web site has a number that you may want to call and get first hand information from them. If I have time this coming week I may ride down that way. I hear the road is open all the way through the pass now.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:20 AM   #6
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
That was our favorite place to camp, litterally only a couple of minutes out and right on the beach. I hope they rebuild it and mabe even some improvements. Our favorite place to eat was Cacey's. It was on Seawall Blvd. probably damaged pretty bad.
Old 10-18-2008, 12:01 PM   #7
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Wayne, are you trying to say that Flounder still like the taste of human blood? Thats the reason you caught the most fish
Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 04:40 PM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Ha ha ha! Must be Bob, must be!

Rick,
Casey's is open and serving food. That was one of our best places to eat. I love their grilled oysters and other seafood.
Old 10-19-2008, 03:44 AM   #9
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
That is great news about Casey's. We always go there to find a new Resturante and always end up at Caseys.