Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2017, 10:02 PM   #1
Rainsmik
Established Member

M.O.C. #20862
Mice?

I don’t have ‘em, but don’t want ‘em. Any sure fire way of repelling them?

Rainsmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 10:14 PM   #2
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
I don't know if it is a sure fire way, but we use dryer sheets. Spread them all over the unit including the storage area. We have been told the smell keeps the mice away. In any case, it makes the camper smell good.

I keep my Montana inside a shop that has a minor mice problem; we keep traps deployed. We have never had mice in the camper. Just make sure you don't leave any food inside.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 07:13 AM   #3
Rainsmik
Established Member

M.O.C. #20862
Thanks

Thanks for the advice. Will definitely give them a try.
Rainsmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 08:49 AM   #4
LDMoore06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13418
We use Fresh Cab. I buy it a Tractor Supply. I think it works for we have not had any mice in the 2years that I have been using. Understand it was made for framers to keep mice out of equipment.
LDMoore06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 11:02 AM   #5
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
LDMoore, Many thanks for that one. Our 381th is brand new so no mice yet but we did have an issue on our old camper in the underbelly. There was a gap and mice or maybe slightly larger rodents got in the underbelly area (not inside the camper). They ended up chewing thru a bundle of wires that had about 20 conductors. It took me a loonnnngggg time laying flat on my back to hook everything back up again. Would have cost someone without electronics background a pretty penny......
Needless to say we appreciate any advice on this subject. Its great to live out in the country but we do have critters roaming around.....

Related to this subject, what do yall do to keep birds from nesting in your pin box area? We are building a new shop so hopefully this won't be an issue in the future but it has been a problem in the past.
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 11:41 AM   #6
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Sounds like you had pack rats if they chewed a lot of wiring. There are some inexpensive LED strobes you can put under the trailer to keep them away.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 12:06 PM   #7
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
AZ, Lots of different critters here in Arkansas Ozarks. Even the ground squirrels have been known to chew wiring in cars if they are parked very long in one spot. Always a good idea to check under the hood on a regular basis. But I wouldn't trade living in the country for the concrete jungle!!! Upside is we have turkeys and deer in our back yard and the only drive by shootings we have are the poachers LOL....

We are in the process of building a very large shop to accommodate the new 5th wheel and our large cabin cruiser. Hopefully that will reduce the issue a bit.
Old 11-26-2017, 01:18 PM   #8
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
We had our first mice intrusion earlier this year. We were in the mountains near Mount Lassen in California and I had forgotten to plug the hole around the water hose where it enters to convenience center. Took us a couple weeks to finally trap the suckers, used those sticky traps. The best thing is making sure there are no easy entry points.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 02:59 PM   #9
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
My camper is in a shed between the cattle barn and my garden and the hay field. I’ve tried the dryer sheets, mothballs and the noise makers, none have worked for me. I put a noise maker in the silverware drawer on top of the silverware guess what they did on my silverware, you guessed it. What has helped is Tractor Supply sells a box you put rat poison in, called Tomcat. It may have helped. The only sure way to keep mice out of a camper is to not have a camper.
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 05:02 PM   #10
Neverhome
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18136
I use a peppermint spray called Rodent Sheriff, available on Amazon. I spray all of the holes used for the water lines, top of the tires, basement walls and floor and all around the perimeter of the underbelly cover. No mice in two years.

To keep rodents or birds from nesting in the pin box I use pool noodles, cut them to size and just snap them in. The extra large ones are perfect. Cut two pieces to length and the form up perfectly tight. No worries about birds nests with little ones in them when it is time to hook up and go.
Neverhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 06:36 PM   #11
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Sounds like that would work for me....
Old 11-27-2017, 08:16 PM   #12
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Don't remove the snakes from your storage area - particularly good snakes like bull snakes. Cats are also a good preventative measure if you live in an area where cats can safely live outdoors - not the case here in AZ.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 11:02 PM   #13
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
AZ, I think this is one subject where I will have to not follow your advice LOL.....Besides with all the water around our place we mostly get cottonmouths.
Old 11-28-2017, 12:37 PM   #14
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
I have tried them All Dryer Sheets, Peppermint Oil, Electronic Devises nothing works except finding the point of entry.

I stuff bubble wrap into the Pin Box that seems to work!
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 01:59 PM   #15
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz View Post
I don't know if it is a sure fire way, but we use dryer sheets. Spread them all over the unit including the storage area. We have been told the smell keeps the mice away. In any case, it makes the camper smell good.

I keep my Montana inside a shop that has a minor mice problem; we keep traps deployed. We have never had mice in the camper. Just make sure you don't leave any food inside.
Use the Walmart brand lavender sheets they seem to work the best, at least for our cabin in upper Michigan. also block all opening in to the under belly and we put screen under the lp tanks to keep the varmints from getting to the generator compartment.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 11:48 AM   #16
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
Ever heard of mixing Portland cement and corn meal - then set a bowl of water next to it - can't pass a brick. just keep it away from pets
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 01:27 PM   #17
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Montana High Country View Post
Ever heard of mixing Portland cement and corn meal - then set a bowl of water next to it - can't pass a brick. just keep it away from pets
If nothing else that is a funny one LOL
Old 11-29-2017, 02:10 PM   #18
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I have heard ranchers out west will Huba bubba prairie dogs. I said do what. They get a big bag at bubble gum and throw some in the dens the prairie dogs eat it. It stops them up, dead dog.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 03:34 PM   #19
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
If you see a floating dog you know he blew a bubble
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 06:13 AM   #20
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
use warfarin and lots of traps and the little buggers still get in, no way to plug all the entry points as all it takes a small hole the size of a finger for them to get in. Peanut butter works best in the traps and in the Tomcat hotels... isn't generally a problem while we are living in the trailer but when in storage and it gets cold out they migrate almost immediately to warmth, we do the same for the house as a result.
speedster100 is offline   Reply With Quote