Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2017, 10:43 PM   #21
Jimmer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14208
Black Tank Dumping

I do the same as others. I drain the black tank with the sprayer on. Leave the sprayer going 20 mins, usually the pipe is clean water. I close the black tank valve with the sprayer on and do that 4-5 mins and then dump it. Do this 4 to 5 times. I also have a Flush king and I will dump the gray tanks and then back flush each gray tank with the flush king. Amazing what comes out of the bathroom gray tank. Do this twice. When all done I put about 2 gals in the black tank and put some liquid automatic dish washer soap down the toilet. Drive it to the next stop and usually dump the black tank right away and then put 3-4 gals in the tank and put the chemicals in the black tank. Seems to work good for me. I also added another slide valve at the end of my pipe. Before when I took the cap off to hook up the hoses I would get a bunch of junk coming out. This has solved this problem.

Jim Bonhote
2014 3582RL, 2015 F350 Platinum

Jimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 06:58 AM   #22
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Bumping down the road will loosen up some extra stuff and drain it on the road. Hope we are not in back of you when that happens.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 06:19 PM   #23
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Richfaa, I knew I would get a response similar to yours. I have had the coroplast covering off the under side of my unit so I know how the drain lines are plumbed. Depending upon how the camper is sitting when the tanks are dumped will determine if all the waste comes out of the front 2 tanks. You would be surprised how much more comes out within a short distance of driving ( half mile ) with the unit in being twisted in all different directions. If you dump with the nose way low, you could possibly leave the front tanks half full. When I get home from a trip I flush the tanks again multiple times and the water for the most part runs clear.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 08:42 PM   #24
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
I am sure I will here flack for this but after I have dumped and back washed the black tank multiple times letting the tank fill with water with the valve closed ( until the water runs clear), I let it drain completely at the dump station and drive away with all tank valves open for a few miles so the remaining (mostly clean )water can work its way out of the pipes. Folks, I'm sorry but this is no different that you or some other animal pooing of peeing on your own lawn. That being said I do take into consideration where the dump station is, meaning if its remote I will do this. If its in front of the camp store etc. I will not.
I ride a motorcycle and I don't like you or people like you. That is sick and irresponsible.

Mark
Old 07-25-2017, 03:01 PM   #25
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
See I told you I would here some flack. My whole point is that when you think your tanks and lines are completely empty, they are not. There may be a gallon or so of water still left in the lines after you dump, hence the liquid (From the previous dump) that may come out when you take the cap off the next time you dump. My method assures that will not happen. Sorry Mark but the small amount of water that I get out of my tanks after I am done dumping and cleaning them is as clean or cleaner than the water that runs off your driveway into the street when you wash your motorcycle or your cars. Hate is a very strong word !!!!. Irresponsible ? That can be measured in many different ways. Want to compare credit scores ? Mine is 849. How's that for responsibility.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:27 PM   #26
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
The water from my driveway doesn't carry fecal matter, ecoli or worse.. Yes your RV dump habits are irresponsible and in most states illegal if the officer cared to enforce it. I will stand by my statement of hating anyone that knowingly travels with their septic system uncorked. Stop doing it and you're no longer hated by me and every other motorcycle rider. How would you feel if the next rider you 'sprinkled' simply opened his pocket of ball bearings after passing you? As for credit score? I haven't looked for awhile I paid cash for my rig 😉

Mark
Old 07-26-2017, 10:30 AM   #27
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
Beeje. What you are doing is in most states illegal and disgusting. Put a valve at the end of that pipe line and the problem is solved.

Your credit reading has nothing to do with with your moral compass.
Stop it now and become a positive representative of the RV world.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 03:25 PM   #28
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I think you guys have got the wrong picture in your head. You act as if I am just opening the tank valves and letting 150 Gallons of raw sewage spew out while traveling down the interstate. That is not the case. We are talking a very very small amount of thoroughly diluted water. Just imagine dumping some of your tanks contents into a bucket. Now dump that bucket full in its proper place. Now fill that bucket up 3 more times with fresh water and dump in the proper place. Now put an inch or two of water in it. Do you really think that what's in the bucket now is going to hurt any one of anything if dumped anywhere ? I am very aware of its legality and would never think of doing anything that would harm anyone or anything in any way. You guys most likely have newer units that no not have the sewer boom on them. Mine is a 2011 unit. I have a valtera valve that I carry with me, so I am well aware of how they work. However because of the way the sewer boom is designed you can not use an extra valve on the end. Because of the way the tanks are plumbed and having the boom there is always some water that exits when the cap is removed.
Old 07-26-2017, 04:50 PM   #29
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
Sorry but it still has fecal matter in it. That boom is not smooth pipe on the inside it is corrugated and as such heavy material will settle in the low points. I don't care how many times you rinse it it still is not something you want to let run on the road hence the laws. Dump it in the proper place seal it up and move on. If you want it to run out then do it in your own driveway. None of us want to drive in it, walk in it or have our kids exposed to it. Remember when that water hits the road at almost any speed some of it will atomize and then people will be breathing it in. What you are doing is discussting so stop it and be a good stuart of the environment.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:47 PM   #30
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Not a good thing to do a responsible Rv'er would not think of doing that. Flush your tank leave a couple gallons of water in it and drive it to the next campground or home then flush it again .What you are doing is not acceptable.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 10:18 AM   #31
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
Agree with the above posts. Disgusting habit. Think if everyone had that attitude. As for the boom, I have one on my 2010 3000RK and have never used it. Don't want all that residue lying in that corrugated boom and haven't found the boom useful.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 06:52 PM   #32
boat391
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5756
Wow I read this three times just in case I wasn't reading it the way it was written. Got the same read on this all three times. I think this is beyond belief in many ways but I'll not go into trash talking.
I feel you should think of the people around you such as cancer patients that need to breath good clean air or someone with a severe skin disorder. My wife spent a full year on a respirator while fighting for her life if while driving down the road with me we pulled up behind you she would be at a severe risk as the one place she could go without the respirator was the p/u on recycled air but we know that recycled air doesn't really close off out side air fully.
As far as credit score who cares it make you no smarter or better than anyone else. So I'm puzzled by that statement. I hope only to educate you to the plight of others around you. I hope you see this in that light.
boat391 is offline   Reply With Quote