Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2018, 03:38 PM   #1
geobet
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19170
Decision time for roadside assistance.

I've been with Good Sam roadside assistance for like forever. Only used them one time several years ago with DW locked the keys inside the rig. Good Sam took forever to get to us and I had to pay $80. Still fuming over that one.

Just last year I changed all my vehicle insure to Progressive. They also offer roadside assistance for my vehicles at really, really inexpensive prices. Much better than Good Sam. So.....drop Good Sam and use Progressive that I've already paid for or renew Good Sam and keep it for backup? Decisions, decisions.

geobet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 03:59 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
A couple of things I found out you should also consider. I had roadside assistance as a part of my motorcycle insurance years ago. Had an issue in rural OK and they told me no one was available in that area. I called a local person and they told me they were a part of that system and fixed my issue and charged them. Didn't give me much confidence, but they were cheap being a part of my insurance. When we bought our first Monty we had AAA and had had it for years, called their office and they told me if I had their best RV plan I'd be fine. Just to check, I called their help number and ask them what would happen if my truck broke down. They said because of our length they would tow the truck and leave the rig by the side of the road (turns out AAA is different in every state but that's how mine would handle it) We ended up with Coach Net. 8 years of fulltiming and they've been well worth the money. Had a flat on our car at a Wildlife Refuge along the Colorado river that GPS didn't show. The help was late, but they called us to let us know they were held up by road construction and not lost. Several years later we had a tire blow and take out the one behind it on I-10 between Tucson and Phoenix. The first question they ask is are you safe and I said no. 15 minutes later we had two cops and after another 15 we had the tire guy with two new tires. They have also made a reservation for me with a mobile repair service and got me in the next day when their office said it would be 4 days. So for us, it's Coach-net.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 04:55 PM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Over the ears we have had just about all of them they mostly offer the same services We check around about every two years or so and change plans making sure the coverage's are the same.We get the new members rate for the first year at a good discount. We have Allstate through AARP right now. We have not had a problem with any of them.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 05:41 PM   #4
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Have used Good Sam three times. They responded quickly each time took care of us and sent follow up texts to ensure all was well. Have heard bad tales, ours are good.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:00 PM   #5
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Have always insured via my truck insurance but have never needed it on my truck or rig. No sure it is worth a premium above the $1 a month my insurance company charges.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:31 PM   #6
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
We so have Good Sam Roadside Assistance but have only used them once and that was on our old rig. We purchased the extended service plan when we bought our new unit and there is roadside coverage on it also even though we have not used it, thankfully. We have GEICO insurance on all our vehicles besides the Monte and I have talked to them and if I have a roadside breakdown and they have to tow the truck they will also send a second tow vehicle out to tow the Monte to the closest campground for us also. Have not had to use it yet but it is a good thing to have IF we do break down.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 04:53 AM   #7
suny07
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21337
we are having coach-net / https://coach-net.com.
never had to use them though

*nock three times on wood*
suny07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 05:42 AM   #8
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
When we first started, I had free truck insurance from Chevy for the first year. Also, I had STate farm on both. Plus we had AAA. We got a flat (actually a big buldge on the tire). It was Saturday around 3 or 4 pm with a hard rain storm moving in just outside Rawlings Wy on I80. I called all three services. Two would not send anyone until Monday morning (one local place that was contacted thru insurance said they had a party at 7 pm and couldn't come!!!). The third one said they could tow us (not sure about the Monty) back into town (about 20 miles) but the store wasn't open so it would be Monday before we could get a tire.
So I put on the spare tire (on the truck), held my breath and drove the 700 miles home with no spare. So no service is any better than the local affiliates they use!!!

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 08:46 AM   #9
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
I have AAA with the 100 mile limit. Last summer, while returning home from Colorado on a Saturday we broke down on I 40 in Texas. AAA sent a semi wrecker and he towed the whole rig 101 miles to Clinton Ok where there was a ford dealer and a RV park with enough room to allow the wrecker to maneuver our rig into a spot. Monday morning AAA sent another wrecker to the RV park to tow the truck to the Ford dealer. So in my case I received excellent service from AAA.
By the way, kudos to...
Tosh wrecker...for prompt (considering that he had to drive 80 miles to get to us) and professional service.
Harris RVpark...for rearranging incoming guest sites so that the wrecker would have room to place us in a site.
McKinsey Motors (Ford dealer)...for getting me in on Monday morning and out by mid afternoon, and giving me a ride back to the RV park and then back to the shop when the truck was repaired.
Theunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 09:27 AM   #10
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
We got coach.net after reading a lot of good reports on them. Have not used them yet though. However I did have to have my truck towed when a high exhaust gas temp sensor failed and found out that Ford uses (or at least did 3 yrs ago) coach.net as their towing provider.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 02:06 PM   #11
Jcroome
Established Member

M.O.C. #20350
I blew a tire right out of Savannah of I-16 on a Sunday AM. Called Good Sams after hours of waiting, I got out, in the lt rain and changed it myself! Taped up all the pieces that were dangling. Decided then the roadside assist. was only good for a catastrophic event. No one will be willing to come for a small event.
Jcroome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 02:31 PM   #12
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Had Good Sam for several years now. Last spring while working our way back North we had two blow outs about a week apart, one on I-20 near Augusta and one in VA on I-95 at intersect with I-85. Both times our turn around time from blowout to back on the road was less than an hour. Good thing I got the spare replaced in Charleston after the first one. Came on home without a spare and my fingers crossed after the second. Then I promptly renewed the policy. Didn't think much of it till we needed it. This spring we got hung up on the spare tire while exiting our winter RV site and GS came through again.

I may look into Coach net though when this policy runs out as their reputation seems strong.
DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 03:01 PM   #13
saber707
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17531
Good Sam fans. Our truck broke down in the middle of nowhere on a Sunday. Good Sam did a marvelous job of getting our truck and 5th wheel out of that mess.
saber707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 04:42 PM   #14
md-procouple
Established Member

M.O.C. #18978
Did NOT renue G/S roadside assist

Had a blowout last year on I-95 about 9:00 PM. Called the roadside assist, was put on hold for 15 min. told the operator the problem she said would be someone on the way, 90 minutes still no one called back was informed that they couldn't find anyone ( I was 10 min. from the nearest exit) A state trooper stopped to assist. 15 min later low and behold a tow truck !! Paid the driver, called G/S was informed to send the receipt to be reimbursed... 3 months later still no check...ws told they never had a claim on file. I canceled them on the spot, Went with Coachnet.
md-procouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 05:13 PM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are at the same decision point.We shop around every two or three years. We now have Allstate through AARP. We have used Good Sam and Coach net. We used them all and had no problems with any of them

Escapees now has a new plan of their own." Escapees Road service" I may give them a try this time around.
Old 06-27-2018, 06:30 PM   #16
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
RV.net (the other RV forum ) is owned by Good Sam/Camping World and they have a subforum where they actually allow users to publically post problems they have had with Good Sam ERS. When someone post about a problem their CS team responds and request private contact info so that they may address the issue in private to see what resolution may be accomplished. And the results of that contact are not published. Posting of problems seems all to frequent, but I suppose that is to be expected since they do not discourage it and it provides an avenue for users to seek help.

Same is true for problems at Camping World at a different subforum.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 08:49 PM   #17
Rainsmik
Established Member

M.O.C. #20862
Quote:
Originally Posted by geobet View Post
I've been with Good Sam roadside assistance for like forever. Only used them one time several years ago with DW locked the keys inside the rig. Good Sam took forever to get to us and I had to pay $80. Still fuming over that one.

Just last year I changed all my vehicle insure to Progressive. They also offer roadside assistance for my vehicles at really, really inexpensive prices. Much better than Good Sam. So.....drop Good Sam and use Progressive that I've already paid for or renew Good Sam and keep it for backup? Decisions, decisions.
I have never used Progressive’s Roadside Assistance but I totaled a 5er a couple of years ago and could not hope for a more professional and fair treatment from an insurance company.
Rainsmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:56 AM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Progressive Roadside assistance.I overlooked that.We have progressive on all our rolling stock . Will check that out. Thanks for the info.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:27 AM   #19
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
We have Good Sam, and have for years. I have used them four times, and each occurrence was a positive experience. Most of my probelms have been in or near populated areas of Colorado, but based on my experience I would recommend them to anyone.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 11:27 AM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainsmik View Post
I have never used Progressive’s Roadside Assistance but I totaled a 5er a couple of years ago and could not hope for a more professional and fair treatment from an insurance company.
We have progressive on all our vehicles and the Montana.We are completely satisfied with the service. We did check out the Progressive road service plan and it does not stack up.It is inexpensive but there are to many things they do not cover.