Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2005, 04:17 AM   #1
Montana_2934

M.O.C. #2934
Average daily cost for camp site

Hello Folks,

I haven't been at an RV campground for at least 10 years. I am in the process of buying a new rig and was wondering what I should expect to pay for a campsite with electric for one day. What's the average savings if I stay a week or more?

Can you help?

Thank you in advance,

DonC

Montana_2934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 04:23 AM   #2
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
$10 to $75 a day.....Sort of Passport America to Naples Fl..... a very broad range, but that's what we have found. Lots of spots under $20 a day.
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 04:32 AM   #3
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
Well, it really all depends on where and when you go. I have paid as little as $12 and night in SC and as much as $85 (and up) a night in the Florida Keys ($50 plus at Disney's Ft. Wilderness). What we have found most often is between $25 and $45 a night. We just paid $41 a night at a KOA in SC for full hookup. We paid $32 a night for full hookup at an Encore park just outside of Tampa Fl. Many of the State Parks we have gone to are in the $15 to $25 a night range for full up (water and electric; some have sewer too). Your best bet is to spend about $14 and get yourself a Trailer Life Campground Guide or one from Woodalls( there are a few others). These guides tell you everything you want to know about campgrounds around the US, Canada and Mexico. It also depends on whether you are a Good Sams, KOA or AAA etc type member which all provide for discounts at various campgrounds.

So now you have my two cnets. I hope it helped.

Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 04:42 AM   #4
Montana_2779
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2779
State parks in Texas run about $15 to $25 a day. Average RV parks around southeast Texas tend toward the $25 to $40 range (usually on the low side). Most of the local parks' weekly rates knock off the cost of one night (a 7 for 6 kinda thing).
Montana_2779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 05:39 AM   #5
Mike and Wendy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1148
Most State Parks are $10-$30 a night, But in Indiana and Michigan there is an enterance pass you have to purchase. Last year I believe Michigan was $27 for an annual, nonresident Pass. Indiana was $28 for an annual, resident pass. You can check prices for State Parks also by going to their web site example CAMP.IN.GOV .
Mike and Wendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 07:02 AM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
First of all, Welcome DonC to the MOC Family.

The above replys just about answers your questions so I thought I would add a few comments on how to save on some of those rates.

I would strongly suggest joining PassPort America. PassPort America parks will give a 50% discount on their nightly rates. Each park has it's own conditions as to when and for how long the discount applies. The cost to join is $44 per year but you can make that up the first week you are out camping. The second campground we stayed at after joining charged $40 per night, we stayed 4 nights at $20 per night. You do the math.

The Good Sam Club is another good club. Good Sam members get a 10% discount at praticipating camps and Good Sam has other worth while programs you can join.

Another 50% off club is Happy Camper. I haven't joined yet but I have heard some good reports. It operates much the same as PassPort America.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 12:15 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We also use Passport America, Escapees, and Good Sam, as well as the KOA discount card. We use PA the most and usually recoup our annual fees cost by the end of January. We need one more night on PA to recoup our 2005 cost.

We most often have full hookup sites. I budget for everything and we try to stay within that budget on a monthly basis although we don't always succeed. I budget for $22 per night average for the month.

Most parks give you the seventh night free, which amounts to a weekly rate roughly 15% less than the daily rate. If you can stay a month, it's generally a much larger discount. Most often the monthly rate is roughly 2 1/2 weeks worth of daily rates. Sometimes you will pay electricity usage on top of the monthly rate. For example, I know of one park with daily rate of $20, weekly $120, monthly $220 + electric. That's one of the steeper monthly discounts.

For the park we're in right now, their website shows a daily full hookup rate of $39. Weekly is $240. Monthly is $480 plus electric. However, when I emailed them for a Jan/Feb monthly rate they told me $385 and that's what we're paying. Some sites have electric meters but ours does not so I guess we're not paying extra for electricity. So we'll be underbudget in the CG category for Jan and Feb. I'm sure we'll use that in our sightseeing budget or our dinner out budget if not somewhere else.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 03:23 AM   #8
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
Quote:
quote: as much as $85 (and up) a night
At those rates I'd give serious pause to applying that $31,025
toward a mortgage on a nice home and put the trailer away altogether.
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 08:32 AM   #9
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
But $85 per night is not where you are going to be every night. Those are very exclusive places. We are in the Bay area which is really high housing. We pay $600 per month plus electric. And this is the most we have ever paid. Resort areas will always be higher. But we've also had places for as low as $12.00 per night with full hookups. Just depends on where you are. If you stay in that house, you aren't going to experience this great land of ours.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 10:44 AM   #10
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
And if you're old enough you can stay in the National Parks and Corp of Engineer campgrounds for half price which is often $8 - $12 per night. The discount comes with your Golden Age Pass that you can get at 62. The Corp campgrounds are usually in beautiful natural settings and very well-maintained. Sometimes it just pays to be old!
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 10:53 AM   #11
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
We only picked up our Golden Age Passport this past September and haven't had the oppurtunity to use it. As we begin our trek north this spring we will be looking to use it quite regularly.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 02:00 PM   #12
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
Come to Quartzsite, AZ (as well as other places in the West) and boondock on BLM land free for 14 days at a time. Move 25 miles and stay another 14 days. You must be self-sufficient, with full fresh water tank, empty holding tanks, plus solar and/or generator power. Enjoy good company and great weather!

Also, consider campground memberships such as Thousand Trails, Western Horizons, Resort Parks International, etc. And become a member of the Elks and/or Moose as many of their lodges offer hookups or at least parking lots at low cost.
Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 02:12 PM   #13
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
Better also consider the fact the BLM now requires you to buy an annual permit. Also the fact that certain Indian tribes levy a fee as in $$$$ on trespassers on their land..

Thgings change... it ain't as free and easy as it once was....
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 03:07 PM   #14
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
BLM does NOT require a fee for the 14 day camping. If you are staying in one of their LTVA sections then there is a fee. If you have any questions just visit the BLM website.

RVWheels
RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 03:58 AM   #15
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
As previously stated, your Golden Age Passport will get you a 50% per night discount at Federal campgrounds, and some state run places also give some type of discount. At $10 per car entrance fee for National Parks, your Passport pays for itself on your first visit. Last summer we spent 5 days in the Yellowstone area - we entered the park free every day we were there. Yes, sometimes it does pay to be "old"
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 06:50 AM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sunshine

As previously stated, your Golden Age Passport will get you a 50% per night discount at Federal campgrounds, and some state run places also give some type of discount. At $10 per car entrance fee for National Parks, your Passport pays for itself on your first visit. Last summer we spent 5 days in the Yellowstone area - we entered the park free every day we were there. Yes, sometimes it does pay to be "old"
Anyone know if the standard National Parks Passport gets the same discount or is only the Golden Age Passport?
Thanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 08:24 AM   #17
PennyC
Established Member

M.O.C. #2041
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Glenn and Lorraine

We only picked up our Golden Age Passport this past September and haven't had the oppurtunity to use it. As we begin our trek north this spring we will be looking to use it quite regularly.
Were do you sign up for a Golden Age Passport? And what is the cost?

Thanks,

PennyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 09:47 AM   #18
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
My understanding is that you have to be 62 to qualify for the Golden Age Passport which is $10.00 and can be purchased from the camp hosts at most Corp of Engineers or National Park campground gates or offices. Easy to get and pays for itself quickly. And most of the campgrounds are beautiful. We love the COE parks. I think the National Parks Pass doesn't give you the discount. It may be more of an entrance pass.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 11:23 AM   #19
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Penny ... I believe you can get a Golden Age Pass online. Try going to www.nationalparks.org. The cost is $10 LIFETIME ... I think. I was looking at that site earlier today and I'm pretty sure I saw something on there about purchasing a pass online. (This site does give a lot of information about the Golden Age Pass, including the cost.) Or, if you prefer, you can call 1-888-GOParks and take care of it by phone. Or, as someone said here already, you can just purchase it the next time you go to a National Park ... the Ranger at the gate can take care of it for you. This is one government agency that actually makes it easy for you!
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 11:43 AM   #20
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Just checked this out. The Golden Age Passport has to be purchased in person - they probably need to verify your age.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote