Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2016, 09:24 AM   #1
HelloFreedom.us
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14122
Apollo 1/2 Time Convection+Microwave: Door Broken

In our 2005 Montana 3400RL, our Apollo 1/2 Time Oven (Microwave+Invection oven) didn’t really bite the dust as much as the push button to open the door decided to stop working.

Unfortunately, it has trapped inside it one of the largest spaghetti squashes known to man fully cooked.

I’ve never heard of Apollo before but I’m sure not finding local dealers for them here in Palm Springs.

We have an awesome toaster oven so the Invection feature doesn’t mean much for us. We don’t us it. So we're just wondering why we can't get any microwave oven that's a good deal.

Has anyone else had this experience, and if so, what was your DIY solution?

We still have the front frame and the stand underneath. Not sure if they will work with other microwave brands than Apollo.

HelloFreedom.us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:55 AM   #2
Kampn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18069
I'm happy to say I haven't experienced this issue.. but it did get me to thinking so I did some web surfing and I only found three methods.. others on the forum here may have more answers.

1. Repeatedly push the button very hard from every possible angle and spot on the button.. you may just get lucky.

OR

2. Unplug the oven and pull it out. Remove the screws and take off the outer shell, then reach into the area behind the control panel and lift the latch hooks that hold the door shut.

OR

3. Well.. first I would hope method 2, or a variation of worked.. but if everything else fails and you plan on replacing it anyway.. unplug and remove the unit and pry the door open with a flat bar. (like a crowbar but its thin and flat) Be sure to wear safety glasses.

Perhaps someone else will have more suggestions.
Kampn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:26 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
A number of years ago Apollo bit the dust and their US distributor bought up all the spare parts. My guess would be the spare parts and ovens have been gone for years, but someone with more knowledge may come along soon. The solution most talked about has been to just buy a new microwave and mount it in the old hole. The problem has been that the convection oven is very important to many of us so they had to find one that fit. If you don't care about the convection oven it shouldn't be a problem to find a microwave that fits.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:53 AM   #4
MikeM
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6892
We got spoiled with a convection microwave at home so I would up retrofitting one. The only one I could find that would fit is made by Contoure - not top of the line, but seems to work OK.
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 02:09 PM   #5
DuneBuggyBuilder
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #15774
Do a "Search" on "Apollo latch" (ensure you check the Archived Posts box) and you will find lots of information on the broken latch. In the following posting, Ozz explains how to get it apart and then how to fix the latch.
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...s=apollo,latch

Parts for these beasties are long gone unless you can find someone who has rat holed a spare of two.
DuneBuggyBuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 02:18 AM   #6
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
Google Apollo convection ovens, we purchased a new one, they still exist. The new models have a handle latch vs the button. We took the chance on another due to the size of the cabinet opening. The first oven lasted 7 years. The new one is working very well. I will look for my invoice for the new microwave/convection oven for the ordering info, post in a second reply.
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 02:29 AM   #7
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
Google Apollo convection ovens, we purchased a new one, they still exist. The new models have a handle latch vs the button. We took the chance on another due to the size of the cabinet opening. The first oven lasted 7 years. The new one is working very well. I will look for my invoice for the new microwave/convection oven for the ordering info, post is a second reply.
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 04:06 AM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Yea, I had mine apart 5 or 6 times, I have a slideshow on it I will try and find for you
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 04:08 AM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Yea, I had mine apart 5 or 6 times, I have a slideshow on it I will try and find for you
Old 02-03-2016, 05:34 AM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

My Photobucket account has as much missing files as a 100 year old Alpaca has missing teeth

Here are some pictures of a repair I made.

http://s112.photobucket.com/user/Jim...poxy%20repairs

http://s112.photobucket.com/user/Jim...broken%20latch

Basically, just take it out, sit it on the counter and take all the screws out, one screw is a special one, I used a Dremil cut blade and converted it to a standard screw-head. Take pictures of each step and all the sides, things just unplug and un-screw, doesn't work now, nothing to lose. My theory in fixing things, occasionally I get it done.
Any Questions, call me 816-365-9607 but be aware I might try and sell you a holster
Old 02-03-2016, 01:24 PM   #11
rgn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5555
CALL APOLLO 800 NUMBER AND THEY WILL TELL YOU TO OPEN DOOR
rgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 01:35 PM   #12
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Hard to open the door when the latch is broke..
Old 02-04-2016, 01:54 AM   #13
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I got a voice mail indication (Train whistle) on my phone, and no message, so if you tried to call I just didn't get it.
In the Desert hiding from authorities, poor reception out here.
I imagine the egg Plant is getting a little ripe by now. :-)
Old 02-04-2016, 02:08 AM   #14
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HelloFreedom.us

We have an awesome toaster oven so the Invection feature doesn’t mean much for us. We don’t us it. So we're just wondering why we can't get any microwave oven that's a good deal.

If I was like you and didn't use the convection part that is EXACTLY what I would do. Get good measurements of the space and go shopping for a replacement.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote