Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-09-2019, 08:47 PM   #1
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Trying to make sense of towing numbers...

-- WARNING: LONG POST AHEAD!!! --

I've come to the realization that we're going to need to get a new truck to pull our new 5er with, a 3741FK.

I've always been a Chevy guy, but I have really liked the Fords, since they upped their game to a 6.7L. It is an overall bigger truck, which appeals to me. Had a Dodge Gen 2, and loved the motor hated the trans. I realize a lot of that has changed, but I still don't know if I trust their trannies. My son-in-laws father just had to get a new Ram because his tranny let go one time too many.

So, for me, it's down to Chevy and Ford. But that's where the water got muddy. I decided that if I was going to look at trucks, I should do the due diligence and look at ALL of them, so I did that. What is reflected below is the best that I could do or figure out from the information that I could find on the various manufacturers websites.

These are the givens for the chart below:
  • All configs are 4WD Crew Cab (will not consider any cab smaller)
  • All SRW's are short box (this is my preferred setup)
  • All DRW's are long box (I don't think that this will fit in our garage, so that's the big issue with a DRW, and I just don't need an ass that wide)
  • Our 5er weighs 13800 unladen (ran across a scale)
    weighs 15000 loaded (ran across a scale)
    pin weight is unknown, but listed as 2560 (probably light)
  • Max trailer weight is 16500
  • Stuff in the truck = 300
  • Full of fuel = 245
  • People = 200/ea

Green squares indicate who had the "best" value in that column. Yellow lines are 2019 numbers for the Chevy and Ford for comparison.

Here is a pic of the spreadsheet:

So, here's what stands out:
  1. This data is all over the board, and there isn't "clearly" any ONE winner. They all win in some category or another.
  2. I don't know why the big 3 even sell 2500 trucks anymore. Yes, there are campers that would still be under those numbers, and it's probably a lot of campers that fit under those numbers, but the whole 2500 vs. 3500 SRW thing just muddies things up further
  3. The Ford numbers for 2020 make no sense. Both the 250 and 350 have the same 30000 GCVW, but the 250 has about 600 lbs less capacity. But the max trailer on the 250 is about 3000 lbs less than the 350. Something just doesn't add up in their numbers
  4. The 2020 Ford, while being an absolute powerhouse on paper, doesn't really live up to the hype when compared with the competition. The GM 3500 has a HIGHER GVWR, and the GCVW's are almost identical, and the total max towing isn't that much greater on the Ford
  5. But in 2019, the Ford and GM are just about switched around. Same GVWR, but Ford tows about 3000 lbs more.
  6. In DRW models, the 2020 Ford wins in most of my boxes, and that's because the payload is only slightly higher.

Most of the time it's just me and my wife, so we would be in the 2 people range. When we have my mom we would be in the 3 people range, and that's only a couple of times a year.

I realize that we'd close by the numbers when it comes to an SRW, but this will most likely be our daily driver (as in replacing our SUV), so I don't need to be lugging that monster around. The numbers indicate that I should be able to buy either a 19 or 20 Chevy or Ford and be OK.

If I buy a 19, I would have the luxury of being able to look at the sticker and make sure that it all makes sense. When it comes to a 20, if you order one, I'm a little bit leary that I get all of the correct options so that I max out an SRW.

I don't want this thread to turn into a:
  • DRW is better than SRW, or the only way to go.
  • SB vs. LB
  • Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge

I'm looking for any guidance and maybe opinions here. (If I don't like your opinion, I don't have to use it!) If we do decide to order one, what options should we get to maximize everything, for Ford and Chevy. Or, what have others found out towing a 15,000lb 5er with a SRW...

Thanks!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	996
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	5186  
CADman_KS is offline   Reply With Quote