Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2009, 10:12 AM   #1
Texas Firefighter
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8153
Carrier Air Conditioners

Need some opinions on Carrier Air Conditioners. We have a Dometic Penguin 13,500 BTU A/C in the front of our Montana. Having major problems and dealer cannot get it repaired. Well, it is to the point that I do not trust it anymore. Went to dealer today and my A/C is still not working right. Deidra and I have talked it over and I think we will replace it with a Carrier V, 15,000 BTU, Low Profile, High Capacity. I just wanted to get any opinions good/bad, before I go and have one installed on Monday. Thanks. John Daniels

Texas Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 11:07 AM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
The OEM primary ducted unit on our rig is the Dometic. Our dealer installed unit (at purchase) is a Carrier low profile. Although we seldom use the second unit, when we need it, it seems to perform well, even better than the main unit.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 11:10 AM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Carrier makes some quality AC units for stick houses and I assume they would make a reliable unit for RVs. Of course that is just an assumption and we all know what happens when we assume.

I just saw a Carrier on E-Bay for 526.00
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 12:19 PM   #4
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
John, About a year ago we installed the exact model Carrier AC that you are considering. On this trip up to Colorado our first stop was near Bowie, Texas with temperature of 106. Boy! were we glad we had that second AC in the bedroom. We bought the AC from PPL in Houston and had it installed at our dealer in Texarkana. I have to say we have not had to use it in Colorado, but we are entirely happy with the unit and the installation. For us, a deciding factor was that this unit adds the least height of any of the low profile units. As Glenn said, we trusted the Carrier name because of household units. So far that trust seems well placed. Good Luck!
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 03:41 PM   #5
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
A 13500 BTU should be more than enough in the front. I've got a 13500 Carrier in the BR of my SOB, and it gets cold real quick. Kerry
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 04:55 PM   #6
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
I have a Carrier low profile on the front of my unit. Performs extremely well. Carrier's design even includes a "slinger" that picks up water from the drip pan and slings it into the condenser which of course vaporizes it. Really cuts down on water dripping from the roof, but in really high humidity areas you'll still have some water drips. As far as putting a 15,000 BTU on the front I would advise against it unless it will be ducted. Even on low the unit will short cycle and not remove enough humidity leaving a sticky feeling in your bedroom. The compressor cycling on and off excessively is not good for the compressor either and will shorten it's life. Trust me 13,500 BTUs is overkill for a bedroom. Again unless you will be having it tied into the ducts. Good luck.
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 05:15 PM   #7
5rvers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4327
This is the one I bought from e-bay Carrier Low Profile two years ago. I also got it with the heat strip. Works great!

Lou
5rvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 06:36 AM   #8
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
Our front 13,500 A/C is more than enough to cool the front of our 35Ft RV. Even in Florida we can cool our unit down with both a/c in about 30 min.
15,000 is overkill.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:29 AM   #9
Texas Firefighter
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8153
Thanks for the advise from everyone. Went to the dealer today where my trailer is at right now. They were going to try some diffrent things to my Penguin A/C. I told them that I did not trust it anymore and to replace it with the Carrier V 13,500 BTU Low Profile. They thought I did not need to replace it but they understood...$$$$ for them. Im a little hard headed sometimes. While I was there I had them order my Wet Shackle kit from Dexter and they will install them when they come in. Once again thanks everyone for the advise! Be safe! John Daniels
Texas Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote