Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2008, 09:03 AM   #1
Cyrus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6535
ADTH landing gear

I was helping a friend setup his SOB last weekend. His landing gear sure worked fast and easier then mine. He pressed the down button and the drivers side leg started down first then the other leg which I would think means he has self leveling legs. This all happened real fast, less then 15 seconds, not like mine which takes minutes.

I just checked what I have on the Mountaineer and the motor/gear drive is made by ADTH. I see MOC list only has Lippert but I don’t see ADTH. Is there a difference in the Lippert motor and the ADTH drive units? Also read on MOC about popping the tops off the legs and putting oil down in there, is this something I should be doing?

Search on ADTH found the following site and that is what I have.

http://www.adth.com/Jack.htm

Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 06:21 AM   #2
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Cyrus: Sounds like you friend had hydraulic gear; I had my SOB upgraded last year while in Goshen to hydraulics and they work just the way you describe; HOWEVER, they are not leveling jacks -- it is just that one side goes down until there is ground resistance then the other comes down. Once both are on the ground, they lift the trailer up uniformly. (This differs from levelers that would allow one side to raise the trailer some while the other stays where it is at). Much faster than the electric screw type original equipment.

One other thing, the particular jacks I had installed have a lock feature so that if hydraulic pressure should be lost (leaking or burst hose), the jack will only go down a little bit before it locks. The company showed me a set initially that were a bit longer but didn't have that feature, would allow the trailer to lower to the ground in the event of a hydraulic leak.

Last thing -- these work off the same hydraulic pump as the slides.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 07:52 AM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Skypilot, It sounds like you are saying that if your rig is level at the axle, the legs will meet the ground at whatever the level under that leg is, and then raise both uniformly, which would keep it level, but you have no adjustment after the initial leg drop. Am I understanding correctly? If I am, that is much better than the OEM electric legs.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 11:38 AM   #4
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Stiles - that is correct -- In my case the drivers side (left) leg goes down first until it makes contact with the ground, then the right (passenger) side drops until ground contact. At that point it will start to raise the front of the 5er. When lowering, both sides lower until weight is off and then the left side finishes retracting followed by the right side. No springs visible so I'm assuming all done by hydraulic pressures.

That said, I do try to keep the actual runs about even by varying how much of the interior bar I drop down, but according to Lippert who installed them I don't have to.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote