Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2019, 02:37 PM   #21
TK1
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21975
Thumbs up Sun Pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasnracin View Post
I just called the PA EZ Pass customer no-Service line. I was asking if I could register my truck under our existing account and use the transponder from our car in the truck when pulling the 5th wheel. She initially told me I would need a Commercial RV transponder when pulling the trailer because the total weight would be over 15,000 lbs and a regular transponder when not pulling it. I pressed her on how stupid that sounded. Then she changed the story and said that i could use the regular transponder all the time, no matter the weight and axle/tire count, as long as the truck is registered in the system. Bottom line...I don’t trust her answers as far as I could throw an elephant.

So if anyone uses an EZ Pass, could you let me know the regulations for it concerning our rigs and which transponder can be used? Thanks!!!

We use the Florida Sun Pass it is currently good in 18 states and soon will be good nationwide as mandated by Federal Law. We registered our truck,the d/w's car and the Monty,bought one transponder and move it between vehicles. There was no mention on the Sun Pass site about requiring any special "commercial" transponder.

TK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 03:29 PM   #22
greische
Established Member

M.O.C. #20532
I use one

Quote:
I just called the PA EZ Pass customer no-Service line. I was asking if I could register my truck under our existing account and use the transponder from our car in the truck when pulling the 5th wheel. She initially told me I would need a Commercial RV transponder when pulling the trailer because the total weight would be over 15,000 lbs and a regular transponder when not pulling it. I pressed her on how stupid that sounded. Then she changed the story and said that i could use the regular transponder all the time, no matter the weight and axle/tire count, as long as the truck is registered in the system. Bottom line...I don’t trust her answers as far as I could throw an elephant.

So if anyone uses an EZ Pass, could you let me know the regulations for it concerning our rigs and which transponder can be used? Thanks!!!
I got the same answers you received when I got mine 5 years ago. I have been using a regular EZ Pass since
greische is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 03:57 PM   #23
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
In an earlier post, #11 Twindman mentioned that they only have a rear license plate and asked so how do the systems work with that. Here in Kansas they take a photo of front and rear of your vehicle (we also have the k-Tag as they call it, an RFID device). If your plate is obscured by your trailer, you also have to register the license plate of the trailer. They then bill you on that. Should you have a license plate that is not registered, they will work with the DMV and get the owner and you will receive a bill in the mail. I mis-typed me coach's plate and was very surprised to get the bill in the mail -ouch - the 'shipping and handling' fee (if you will) were worse than the toll.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 04:23 PM   #24
GreG L.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21993
We live in FL so we have both Sun Pass and EZ Pass since Sun Pass is only good in FL GA and NC according to their website. I have used both on multiple cars, trucks and pulling and never an issue, only have one car registered but no font front license plates.
GreG L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 06:55 PM   #25
footz1941
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21057
I have a TexTag. Went thru Oklahoma turnpike using the tag. Got a bill in the mail. When I called them I was told TexTag was not good in Oklahoma. Pass is good in Kansas

Highway 130 in Texas is expensive. 90 miles. Pulling te 5er $57.00 Ouch
Rex and Patsy
footz1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 09:46 PM   #26
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
Although I live in Oregon, I have a NH E-Z Pass for my travels back east. I went through the same hassle talking to NY, PA and MA about how to use the E-Z Pass when towing and not towing. NH had the only sane answer. You use one transponder. You enter the license number for both the TV and the trailer into the system. When you pass a toll point, sensors and cameras get the plate numbers and count the axles and you are charged accordingly. If driving solo, there are only two axles and one plate. It has worked perfectly from Indiana to Maine and from Maine to NC and KY. I would not travel back east without it. Soon I'll be flying to RI and renting a car. I'll take my transponder and when I get the rental, I'll log on to my E-Z Pass account and enter the license number and vehicle description of the rental. I expect it will all work well. On a recent trip to FL, I stopped in a service area just after entering a toll road, the first of many I would be hitting. I bought a SunPass at the service area ($4.99), registered it and my TV and trailer and hit the road. Everything got charged as it should and I didn't have to wait in hour-long lines to pay cash.
Old 05-30-2019, 02:14 AM   #27
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Quote:
Originally Posted by laverdur View Post
Although I live in Oregon, I have a NH E-Z Pass for my travels back east. I went through the same hassle talking to NY, PA and MA about how to use the E-Z Pass when towing and not towing. NH had the only sane answer. You use one transponder. You enter the license number for both the TV and the trailer into the system. When you pass a toll point, sensors and cameras get the plate numbers and count the axles and you are charged accordingly. If driving solo, there are only two axles and one plate. It has worked perfectly from Indiana to Maine and from Maine to NC and KY. I would not travel back east without it. Soon I'll be flying to RI and renting a car. I'll take my transponder and when I get the rental, I'll log on to my E-Z Pass account and enter the license number and vehicle description of the rental. I expect it will all work well. On a recent trip to FL, I stopped in a service area just after entering a toll road, the first of many I would be hitting. I bought a SunPass at the service area ($4.99), registered it and my TV and trailer and hit the road. Everything got charged as it should and I didn't have to wait in hour-long lines to pay cash.
This was the exact info I got from NY years ago When I first got a fiver. They count the axles and if your not towing you pay a lower rate. I didn't have to pay anything for the pass and when there is a long line paying tolls it's nice to breeze throw the EZ Pass lane. Around NYC I think you even get a discount on bridges and tunnels with the pass though I never tow near the city.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 06:11 AM   #28
Bill n Susan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23680
We have used EZ-Pass for years in many, many states with no issue..... UNTIL FLORIDA. Some of the Central Florida (Orlando) freeways have started to accept EZ-Pass, but be fore-warned. We have yet to find one (freeway) that will accept it for its entire length. Case in point; FL429 on the west side of Orlando will accept it until you get almost to WDW, and then "wham" a little sign on the side of the road... in between exits....tells you its no longer accepted. Same goes for the Beach Line (Bee-Line) from Orlando to Cocoa. Bottom line, we bought the Florida SunPass, and bury the EZ-Pass while in Florida so we aren't paying double... or worse yet... getting bills from SunPass in the mail for unpaid tolls.

William and Susan - Abingdon, IL
2019 Montana High Country 331RL / Sailun ST235/80s
B&W Patriot 18k Slider / 2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD SW
Bill n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 07:48 AM   #29
Woodyswanch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13390
I was also curious about a previous question... what about no license plate on front of truck?
(We have an old Sun Pass we just reloaded for trip to Florida) Guess we should get an EZ pass soon.
Woodyswanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 08:17 AM   #30
Chasnracin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12394
UPDATE: We took the one from our car and used it. Worked just fine. Got charged $22 going out and $29 coming home for the same mileage. Gotta love technology. Thanks for all the help.

2013 F350 SRW King Ranch
2011 3400RL
Chasnracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 02:08 PM   #31
JoeO

M.O.C. #22075
EZ pass

I have one ez pass as a NH resident. This ez pass is run by EZ pass out of Newark NJ headquarters as I believe all east coast states are.
I have been ticketed for not having a vehicle registered to the EZ pass when I switched vehicles. I was able to register several vehicles to the one EZ PASS and that eliminated all problems, with or without the camper and was good at all east coast states. When I was on west coast working without my ez pass, I noticed it went by a different name. Not sure if it will work.
The one time they did get me again is when I bought a new truck, same license plate but the camera/computer picked up it was a different model. I just had to update my profile on the EZ PASS to get out of that ticket. Scary to see the photos they sent to me, very detailed at 60 mph.
JoeO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 06:24 AM   #32
Stouty

M.O.C. #21571
Weird, I’m in PA and used my single transponder for years with no issue towing or not. Like others say, they count axels and bill accordingly. Used this method for a year with no issue. Then decided to get a new transponder for the 3500. They sent me a new “standard” transponder, but sent a letter that I “may need” a commercial unit. I called and <dumb> gave them all details of truck weight and Monty weight. (Over 15k) they said I needed commercial transponder to abide by their rules. But like most have found, they don’t weigh you, just count axels. So I have yet to run the truck without towing on the turnpike to see what they charge me. That is info from PA turnpike, as the other participating entities may have other different rules.
Stouty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 02:38 PM   #33
Slufoot733
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9928
I also noticed different charge rates for the exact same mileage on the PA Pike. Exit 13 to exit 242 eastbound was about $3 cheaper than 242 to 13 westbound.
Go figure.
Slufoot733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 05:07 PM   #34
Caniel
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21610
I'm in Virginia and use the EZ Pass. When getting one, I couldn't find my 3500 DRW listed in their online registration list so I went into a "walk-in" customer service office and explained what I was trying to do. I discovered the reason I couldn't find a 3500 DRW in the list is that it is not in the same weight class as passenger vehicles and typical SUVs. It was in the next heavier weight class. The customer service issued me one for the weight class my truck was in.

I asked them about what happens when I'm towing my 5th wheel camper. They told me they only count axles that go through the turn-style.

Haven't used it while towing for some time. We'll probably use the EZ Pass when we go to Maine later this summer. I'll have to remember to verify the EZ Pass charges when towing.

Caniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 06:49 PM   #35
Tomg52

M.O.C. #23478
Quote:

I have EZ Pass on both our car and pick up/tow vehicle in Texas. I tow a single axle utility trailer and a Montana 3121 RL seperately and at different times. The car and TV are registered, not the trailers. Our toll authority only counts axles and, to my knowledge, doesn't go by weight. I was never asked about my trailers. Depending on the toll road and the area, toll charges vary for the same distance traveled. BTW, when I have a question about an answer I am able to get it resolved when I speak to a supervisor. I hope this helps.
Tomg52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 08:11 AM   #36
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
I continue to use my NH E-Z Pass with success. On a recent flying trip to New England, I took my only transponder out of my truck and put it in my rental car. Before I hit the road, I logged on to the NH E-Z Pass web site and entered the details of the rental car. All tolls worked perfectly.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:46 AM   #37
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
Quote:
Originally Posted by awheeler View Post
We use the TXPass and FLPass. Keep them set up on auto-pay and forget'em. Never had an issue.
As long as the CC Company doesn't need to see you a new card for some reason.
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:36 AM   #38
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
On a trip to Orlando earlier this year I picked up a mini SunPass at a service area. That worked well for the duration of our time in FL. Not anticipating going back to FL, when I got home I pealed it off the windshield. When using the SunPass, I had to hide my E-Z Pass transponder in the special bag and put it in the glove box to avoid confusion. Have been lucky enough to avoid toll roads in TX on all recent trips but I did encounter one in the Dallas area some years ago. They never did mail me a bill.
Old 07-29-2019, 09:13 AM   #39
danielm300
Established Member

M.O.C. #19903
My EZ-Pass Experience

We have been using EZ-Pass for several years. We have one for the truck sans trailer and one for the truck and trailer combo. Never had a problem until this year. The problem was our EZ-Pass got shut down when we traveled from NY to Chicago on the tollways. Apparently we racked up ~$80 in tolls (most of which we paid when we went through downtown Chicago). Garmin refused to route us around Chicago. That's a subject for a different day. Anyway, we were not notified about our pass being shut down until 3:00AM the next day. It wouldn't auto reload until we paid off the balance on-line. Anyone else have this problem?
danielm300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 10:50 AM   #40
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
Never had a problem with mine being shut down. Also, have had good success with only one transponder for towing and solo use. The key is to have the registration information for both the TV and the 5er in the E-ZPass system. Surprised that Garmin refused to route you around Chicago if you marked the box for no toll roads.