Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2018, 08:32 AM   #21
Denny and Angie Miller
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19889
Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodgod1 View Post
If everyone would please indulge me on this issue for a moment, I think you'll understand where I'm going. I was recently made aware of Keystone using the Norco gearbox to open and close the slides on the High Country models. Apparently, over the past few years, Norco has modified their design and those new style gearboxes will leak oil on top of your slide roofs while your slides are in and the oil will sit on the membrane and cause it to bubble up. Then next time you put the slide out it causes tears and stretches the roof membrane. I belong to a 381 TH group on FB and every on of our slide gearboxes are leaking onto the slide roofs. My request to the group is to check your slide roofs while your slides are retracted. Take a flashlight, stand on a step stool and look directly under the gearbox. It'll be clear as a bell if it's leaking. You'll see bubbling there or a tear. Gentleman on youtube that goes by "Down The Road We Go" has posted 3 videos about the issue if you'd like to see. If yours is leaking please let me know as I'm trying to get Keystone to come up with a permanent solution to this. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you so much.
353RL built in early 2017, all 3 slides have this issue. I have not contacted Keystone or the dealer about this as it's no longer under warranty.

Denny and Angie Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 08:38 AM   #22
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny and Angie Miller View Post
353RL built in early 2017, all 3 slides have this issue. I have not contacted Keystone or the dealer about this as it's no longer under warranty.
Same here, out of warranty by a month.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 09:26 AM   #23
Twopetes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17535
I need to check on our 2015 HC-353, but this should not be an in or out of warranty issue. This is a known problem that should be corrected - it should be a recall advisory!
Retired and Lovin’ it!
Twopetes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 11:22 AM   #24
SteveandTerri
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22227
I have a 2017 305RL with 3 slides. Just checked the motors: all 3 of them are leaking and the roof of the sliders are bubbling. Just sent a message to Keystone advising them of the issue.... It was purchased in mid-August 2017.
SteveandTerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 05:08 AM   #25
walterc2
Established Member

M.O.C. #20874
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveandTerri View Post
I have a 2017 305RL with 3 slides. Just checked the motors: all 3 of them are leaking and the roof of the sliders are bubbling. Just sent a message to Keystone advising them of the issue.... It was purchased in mid-August 2017.
Ditto for our 2018 305RL. It is going in to our dealer for drip pans and new slide roofs. Our dealer said Keystone is well aware of the problem.
2018 Silverado 3500HD
walterc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:42 AM   #26
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Sounds like a class action lawsuit to force a recall with a proper fix!! Drip pans are NOT a proper fix!!! Let me know when you have a lawyer setup
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 04:23 PM   #27
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
Washed mine yesterday, and sure enough, the new replacement motor on the kitchen slide has leaked, and the roof has bubbled. But that isn't the worst of my discoveries; the roof has pulled away from the front end cap (or vice-versa). I am about one major repair away from dumping this turkey, it has been one damn thing after another, now i get to look forward to having it sit for 6-8 weeks at the dealer. We love RVing, but are REALLY starting to HATE our RV!

If I thought that Keystone actually monitored this site, I would have a few choice words just for them.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:27 PM   #28
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
3 out of 4 of my slides have dripping gearboxes and damaged slides. Just picked up my camper and opened another ticket.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 09:00 PM   #29
CanalesPac
Established Member

M.O.C. #21018
Ours has been in for repair on one slide (they glued down the original membrane from what I can tell, but it came back up). It’s still there on another repair trip since the second week of July and we were just informed today that they have warranty authorization to fix all slide roofs and add drip pans. I’m waiting to see the work order to know what is to be done exactly, but this timeline for approval is ridiculous. It’s been there over a month on THIS trip and it’s a known problem. Now they can order the parts. We’re stuck without our RV and everything left in the trailer is sitting out on the 100+ outdoor temps. I don’t think it’s our dealer’s fault, but it’s still pretty frustrating. I’m wondering what else we should have done before dropping it off for an unexpected extended stay at the dealership. On the plus side: the fridge is empty (I think).
CanalesPac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 10:10 PM   #30
Foodgod1
Established Member

M.O.C. #21586
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanalesPac View Post
Ours has been in for repair on one slide (they glued down the original membrane from what I can tell, but it came back up). It’s still there on another repair trip since the second week of July and we were just informed today that they have warranty authorization to fix all slide roofs and add drip pans. I’m waiting to see the work order to know what is to be done exactly, but this timeline for approval is ridiculous. It’s been there over a month on THIS trip and it’s a known problem. Now they can order the parts. We’re stuck without our RV and everything left in the trailer is sitting out on the 100+ outdoor temps. I don’t think it’s our dealer’s fault, but it’s still pretty frustrating. I’m wondering what else we should have done before dropping it off for an unexpected extended stay at the dealership. On the plus side: the fridge is empty (I think).
I record all conversations with the service department. My service department advised me that we could pick up our camper and continue on our vacation through October. By that time the parts will be in and I can bring my 5er back in for repairs. We should be pretty well done with long trips for the year by then. See if your service department will do the same. Download a recording app on your phone and record everything.
Foodgod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 08:41 PM   #31
Dave Sinclair

M.O.C. #15882
After talking to the Service Manager for Norco. He said the gearbox's were over filled. When towing in the heat the grease expands and leaks past the seals. Once the grease leaks down below the seal the gearbox will stop leaking. I am one of the first to find the problem. I have had my drip pans all last winter and this summer. Yes there is a little grease in them, but hardly enough to wipe out. So the gearbox will never run out of grease.

My YouTube channel is https://www.youtube.com/downtheroadwego

Look in my playlist for "in The Shop" series. there you will find video's on the subject.
Dave Sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 08:46 PM   #32
Dave Sinclair

M.O.C. #15882
Contact Keystone. This is a known problem on all 2017 -2018 HC with cable slides. They owe you new slide roof and don't take no for an answer. They replaced all of ours. At the very least also get them to put on the drip pans so it does not get worse.
Dave Sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 09:44 PM   #33
SteveandTerri
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22227
The latest: my email to Keystone

I called Keystone 3 weeks ago and they set up a Warranty Ticket Reference Number. The warranty service appointment at the local Camping World is in 6 weeks. After receiving the Warranty Ticket Reference Number from Keystone, I sent them the email copied below. (they didn't respond to it...)

"I've noted that the Slide Motor Leakage issue is widespread. The Montana Owner's Group Forum has numerous postings where people have reported a variety of corrective warranty work. In many cases, owners have reported that drip trays are installed below the leaking gear boxes and that patches are being glued over the bubbled roof membrane. That fix is unacceptable. The oil will ultimately leak out of the gear boxes and the boxes will fail due to running without lubricant. The gear boxes need to be leak tight. I'm a Licensed Mechanical Engineer with years of experience in working with gear boxes of this sort: a drip tray is not a reasonable corrective action.

For my Montana, I want the leaking gear boxes replaced and I want the roof of my slides completely replaced - not just patched.

I light of the above, please advise your concurrance that the gear boxes and slider roofs will be replaced.

Thank You,

Stephen Miller, PE"
SteveandTerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 05:20 AM   #34
walterc2
Established Member

M.O.C. #20874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Sinclair View Post
After talking to the Service Manager for Norco. He said the gearbox's were over filled. When towing in the heat the grease expands and leaks past the seals. Once the grease leaks down below the seal the gearbox will stop leaking. I am one of the first to find the problem. I have had my drip pans all last winter and this summer. Yes there is a little grease in them, but hardly enough to wipe out. So the gearbox will never run out of grease.

My YouTube channel is https://www.youtube.com/downtheroadwego

Look in my playlist for "in The Shop" series. there you will find video's on the subject.
Well, that scenario sounds plausible. I just hope the Norco guy is correct and not just blowing smoke.
2018 Silverado 3500HD
walterc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 06:10 AM   #35
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Until there is a recall and a public statement as to the problem and the remedy It is just he said she said.
Old 08-25-2018, 07:04 AM   #36
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
When we read about this issue on this forum in the spring, we immediately ordered drip trays at the dealership. A friend of ours has the exact same model and year as we do, so we told him and he ordered some too. We installed ours, and found one of the gear boxes was already dripping, although there was no damage.

2017 High Country 305RL
2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 12:19 PM   #37
CarWin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21110
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
3 out of 4 of my slides have dripping gearboxes and damaged slides. Just picked up my camper and opened another ticket.
If I'm not mistaken, you have 3 hydraulic slides and 1 gearbox driven slide,NOT cable operated. Thats how it is on my 3701LK. If I'm wrong, I do apologize.
CarWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 12:26 PM   #38
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
I currently have that. My previous was a 379RD DW loved the floor plan. leaking gear boxes with inadequate fixes and electric levelers that cannot level prompted a change.

Pretty turned off of the MHC product line.

Was able to do something I was never able to do in the 379RD-- have been able to level the camper in the drive twice in a row without saying a dirty word.
Old 08-25-2018, 01:17 PM   #39
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
I don't want my local shop to replace the roof of my slide; every time they "fix" something, it comes back with 2 more things wrong. I will contact Keystone, but "don't take no for an answer" sounds good, but if they refuse, you can insist all you want and nothing will happen.
Old 08-26-2018, 07:54 PM   #40
CanalesPac
Established Member

M.O.C. #21018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Moon View Post
I don't want my local shop to replace the roof of my slide; every time they "fix" something, it comes back with 2 more things wrong. I will contact Keystone, but "don't take no for an answer" sounds good, but if they refuse, you can insist all you want and nothing will happen.
I am supposed to be able to pick up ours tomorrow. I'm hoping the roof fix is better than it was previously. I think they replaced the roof membranes (I hope they're as pretty as the originals with matching tape this time).

I'm adding this because they reported to me that they can only do what is authorized, or Keystone will not address any future concerns regarding the issue at hand. So, I'm agreeable to go with Keystone's approved fix for that reason only. I'd like to think that this dealer is looking our for us -- originally we weren't getting new roof membranes. Now I think we are. Unfortunately, the timeline has been terrible. We dropped it off 7/14 (I think, looking back at the calendar). It's supposed to be ready on 8/27. Average temps in outdoor storage have been triple digits. Yay.
CanalesPac is offline   Reply With Quote