Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2014, 08:04 AM   #1
dondrasmith
Established Member

M.O.C. #9615
Landing gear and slides won't work

Help!!!!!! My husband and I just arrived at our site and while we were setting up the front landing gear just stopped working. We have no power to front landing gear and none to the slides. The battery is showing full charge and is only a year old. I have read about an auto reset circuit breaker. Do we have that in a 2010 mountaineer? If so where is it?. Please help soon. We are in limbo.

dondrasmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:17 AM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I don't think it will be the auto reset circuit breaker. The normal failure for those is to stop for a few seconds, start working again, stop for a few seconds, start, repeat, repeat, ..... And one breaker is not common to both the slides and landing gear.
Don't know how the Mountaineer is wired. Someone should be along shortly more familiar with it.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:43 AM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
While you are waiting, you should have a crank handle in the basement that you can attach to the landing gear to crank them down so you can at least pull your truck out. Mine attaches inside the propane compartment on the street side.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:48 AM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Not familiar with a Mountaineer either, but see if there is an in-line blade type fuse in a small holder in the battery compartment. It was the primary culprit on out 2007 model. Not sure when the change change was made to the auto-reset breakers.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:13 AM   #5
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
If you have a remote, try using it.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:23 AM   #6
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
What type of landing gear do you have? Hydraulic rams, or screw jacks?

Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 09:24 AM   #7
hunts800
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11457
Couple thoughts - my prior unit was a 2011 Mountaineer 326rlt. We had the remote controller go out while on a trip in Port Angeles, Wa - neither slides, landing gear, or rear stabilizers would work. Ended up having a mobile repair tech wire new switches around the control panel in the front compartment which we used until we got home. They ended up replacing the whole control panel under warrany, and Keystone reimbursed me for the mobile tech.

Also, assume your battery control switch was not accidentally switched to the "off" position.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:11 AM   #8
dondrasmith
Established Member

M.O.C. #9615
We don't normally use the remote control but finally after not having any other luck I put a fresh battery in the remote and we did get the landing gear and the slides to work with the remote!!!! This does not make any sense as I was using the manual switches and the legs extended fine. When we pulled the truck out and I was retracting the legs it just stopped!!! No landing gear, no rear stabilizers and no slides???? We had a similar problem in the past ( 2 years ago). and I read on here to take the negative wire from the controller that goes to the manual switches and ground it in another location on the frame. Could that be the problem?? We used to always use the remote but had not used it in a couple of years, sure am glad I had it with us. Since it will not work without the remote.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:21 AM   #9
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dondrasmith

We don't normally use the remote control but finally after not having any other luck I put a fresh battery in the remote and we did get the landing gear and the slides to work with the remote!!!! This does not make any sense as I was using the manual switches and the legs extended fine. When we pulled the truck out and I was retracting the legs it just stopped!!! No landing gear, no rear stabilizers and no slides???? We had a similar problem in the past ( 2 years ago). and I read on here to take the negative wire from the controller that goes to the manual switches and ground it in another location on the frame. Could that be the problem?? We used to always use the remote but had not used it in a couple of years, sure am glad I had it with us. Since it will not work with the remote.
Yes this does make sense. The master control panel has a relay that will select only the remote or the manual switches and not allow both to work.
Here is one link discussing the issue and correction.
There is a picture also and I can not find it right now.
Good luck and I hope this helps.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:21 PM   #10
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Here is the link with pictures of this problem.
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=46515

However you say you have already moved the ground wire to the frame. I suspect you may have to move the positive line to another 12V source or replace the control unit.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 12:35 AM   #11
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

Ours had the 30 amp blade fuse and it would fail every time we used the trailer. I replaced it with an auto reset circuit breaker and haven had any problems since except for the remote receiver burning up.

I removed the remote receiver and installed a fuse block from NAPA and properly fused the leads to the appliances and have not had a problem since.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 04:05 PM   #12
dondrasmith
Established Member

M.O.C. #9615
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by H. John Kohl

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dondrasmith

We don't normally use the remote control but finally after not having any other luck I put a fresh battery in the remote and we did get the landing gear and the slides to work with the remote!!!! This does not make any sense as I was using the manual switches and the legs extended fine. When we pulled the truck out and I was retracting the legs it just stopped!!! No landing gear, no rear stabilizers and no slides???? We had a similar problem in the past ( 2 years ago). and I read on here to take the negative wire from the controller that goes to the manual switches and ground it in another location on the frame. Could that be the problem?? We used to always use the remote but had not used it in a couple of years, sure am glad I had it with us. Since it will not work with the remote.
Yes this does make sense. The master control panel has a relay that will select only the remote or the manual switches and not allow both to work.
Here is one link discussing the issue and correction.
There is a picture also and I can not find it right now.
Good luck and I hope this helps.
Today we removed the + wire from the manual switches terminal and connected directly to the + 12 volt terminal for the receiver supply. Problem solved!!

Thanks John for the link.