Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-17-2012, 12:05 PM   #21
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Thanks for the heads up. We have the 2013 Big Sky and will take a look. Why am I not surprised that you have this proplem. BTW do not care what other brand has the problem. We do not have another brand. Does not not make me feel any better that other brands do. Also..this thing was expensive for me..
For sure a new Montana is expensive and as with any other major purchase, we expect a reasonable degree of quality and that's what we get. Unfortunately we settle for "reasonable quality" far too often. Poor quality control is the real issue here. The overall product is good but we've all seen many examples of poor workmanship in what is generally accepted as an above average trailer. The more that Montana owners accept this level of quality, the poorer that quality will probably become and why should we settle for "good enough" anyway. Who out there thinks that a new Montana is not expensive? Oh wait, I already know ... it's the guys with the motorhomes!

moutard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:50 PM   #22
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Fauch;

The intakes are located near the outer wall on the ceiling on either side of the overhead fan in the rear living area of the 3402RL. They are about 8" x 12", held in place with 2 screws.
Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:39 PM   #23
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I call my issues in every month on this new 3402 instead of like every week. They call up my VIN and I list the proplem. We will visit the service center before the warranty is up. latest is the black tank flush stopped working.Good one miniute...nothing the next. 16 items thus far six outstanding they corrected the rest at the fall rally.six things failed since then.This month it was Compartment hinge pulled out of the right side compartment, improperly installed and the black tank flush....who knows. Maybe I will go out and count all the rusty screws and lug nuts..Hey...no big deal right.little things nothing fell off although the shackle bolts were all less than 40 . lucky someone here reminded me to check them. little things..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:52 AM   #24
fauch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11342
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Irlpguy

Fauch;

The intakes are located near the outer wall on the ceiling on either side of the overhead fan in the rear living area of the 3402RL. They are about 8" x 12", held in place with 2 screws.
I was just wondering if the distance and accessibility would lend to inserting a self supporting spiral wound duct or other self 'opening' tube.

Is there still a return register on the AC unit? ..or is that gone from the new model?
fauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:18 AM   #25
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
fauch wrote:
Quote:
quote:
I was just wondering if the distance and accessibility would lend to inserting a self supporting spiral wound duct or other self 'opening' tube.

Is there still a return register on the AC unit? ..or is that gone from the new model?
At this time fauch I will let the dealer and Keystone worry about how to fix the problem. It looks like the intended duct was meant to be about 1.5" x 12" or so, you can actually push the insulation for the roof up somewhat and I suspect this area is between two roof joists but may be narrower as I don't know what the spacing on the roof joists would be in this RV. I am sure they will be able to resolve the problem in some way and I will certainly let everyone know how that was done.

I guess these would be considered the return "register" for the AC, as this is where it gets it's air, and is actually recirculating already cooled air from within the unit. If working properly it might make the AC more effective. That I assume was the intended purpose. I am not a AC expert but it seems strange to me to pick up air so close to the cold air ducts that cool that part of the living area.

Time, and another visit to the dealership will perhaps shine some light on how this will work out.
Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 04:05 PM   #26
BUBBA-NONNIE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19549
I have the exact same problem as Irlpguy. I am fortunate to find the problem before my warranty ended. All of the intake ducts have collapsed and are shutting off nearly all of the airflow.
BUBBA-NONNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 09:08 PM   #27
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
I don't own a Montana, but the 3121RL is currently sitting in first place when we purchase a 5th wheel in the Spring. I have been following this forum for some time trying to gain as much knowledge as I can with Montana products. And I have read several threads describing your collapsed return ducts, so yes it is a documented problem that some have experienced. The fix is to insert a short section of PVC pipe to open up the duct work. I don't remember the diameter and length, but you should be able to find it somewhere on here. And others have modified the discharge vents to increase air flow. I asked this specific question regarding air flow problems a few weeks back. One responder stated that they during the factory tour at the last rally, they were told that Montana was changing the design in the fall, so units being built now shouldn't have this problem.
Baldicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 09:45 PM   #28
BUBBA-NONNIE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19549
Thank you for your response. I have sent the forum's discussions to the dealership so they know that this is problem that has been addressed by numerous Montana owners. My Montana is a 2017 3000RE and has all of the options. I like the trailer but I have a long list of warranty items being address by the dealer. When you spend as much money as I did you would expect to better workmanship. Oh well, when I get it fixed hope it will give me many years of pleasure. Thank you again for your response. Hope you have a great new year!!
Old 08-30-2019, 05:15 PM   #29
BUBBA-NONNIE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19549
I have 2017 Montana RE3000 with “whisper quiet” ac’s. It is hot here in Bishop, Ca. My units were workin fine, then, they started shutting down about 2x per day. I turn the units off for about 1-2 minutes and turn back on from the thermostats. Compressor and fans b
Start working again. Anyone have that problem?

Bubba
Old 08-30-2019, 07:22 PM   #30
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
You folks lay off of the OP. He has a real issue that is VERY common to Keystone products. He should be praised for bringing up the issue not belittled! The OP is correct that these campers are rather expensive and at the very least you would EXPECT systems to function as they should even if they don't use the best quality trim and such. There are places to use less expensive materials to give a lower cost and places here you should NOT cut corners!

Now to the issue. Yes this is a very common problem with the so called "quiet air" systems. As an engineer I am calling it out for what it is a DESIGN FLAW! The materials and design of those return ducts was not fully thought out PERIOD!! Keystone has admitted as much by coming up with their new "rigid duct" system that amounts to a band aid hard plastic connector between the duct sections (there are even videos of so called professional RV reviewers praising the rigid ducts--ya think they might be on someone's payroll?).

The owner developed solution is simply to stick two short lengths of 1.25" pvc (cut just small enough to fit thru grill holes), turn them parallel to the vent and slide them about half way between AC and the grill. That will effectively keep the cheap cereal box vent open. In addition most folks remove, replace or modify the outlet vents to increase air flow as well. You will find this resolves the issue.

However be advised that the very best you will get out of two AC units is a 20F drop from outside temp. If you add a third AC and set it up where you can run all 3 then you can get about 25-27F difference. We live in the desert so we know EXACTLY what you can get out of them best case (of course that is in low humidity but no shade).

Good luck and best wishes!
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 07:25 PM   #31
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by bncinwv View Post
One thing I have discovered after a few years on this forum, is that there are those who are happy with their purchase (we have had two excellent Montana's to date) and their are those who seem to be not so happy with their purchase and tend to use the forum as a sounding board for their dissatisfaction. I do not recall any previous posts regarding this issue and have to surmise that it is an isolated problem that any reputable dealer should be able to remedy. I understand your being upset with the issue and totally agree that it should be remedied by Keystone in conjunction with your dealer. Furthermore, I appreciate the heads-up towards any potential problem, but to date, our AC system, which I do not believe is the "quiet cool system", but I must admit that I do not know, has not presented us with any problems. I can only hope and believe that at some point in the future that you can attain the same degree of satisfaction that we have had with our two "very expensive Montana's".
Bingo
Sorry to bust your bubble but this is a VERY common issue with the "quiet air" return ducts. I have seen dozens of posts regarding same! We have the system and I found the exact same issue on our brand new Montana!
Old 08-30-2019, 07:44 PM   #32
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
Sorry to bust your bubble but this is a VERY common issue with the "quiet air" return ducts. I have seen dozens of posts regarding same! We have the system and I found the exact same issue on our brand new Montana!
Jim,

Not sure it is fair to hit on this post from nearly 7 years ago. The a/c issue was not as well known in 2012.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 08:45 PM   #33
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
Jim,

Not sure it is fair to hit on this post from nearly 7 years ago. The a/c issue was not as well known in 2012.
Point well taken. I made an assumption that the post was new and we all know how dangerous assumptions can be....... My apologies!
Old 08-30-2019, 09:05 PM   #34
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Jim,

Easy to miss the post date. Wish they would freeze old posts - let you read them but not comment. Easy to start a new thread if needed.

Have a good day!

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 05:21 AM   #35
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
If Jim were one of the seven dwarfs he would not be Bashful.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote