Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2012, 01:04 PM   #1
brooksider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9963
On Board compresser

Any one out there with an on board compressor and what brand and how does it perform? I shoud have been clearer as I was talking about one mounted on the tv. I carry a 3 gallon one now in the tool box. Thanks
joe

brooksider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:19 PM   #2
jwedell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6436
I have this one in the RV and it works great. Would never be without it. I just replaced all 5 tires on the RV and needed to adjust the air. No need to find a gas station. Very handy.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051

Note: I removed the regulator and put it on a quick connect. When I inflate the tires I plug into the tank unregulated and when I winterize the RV I plug in the regulator and blow out the lines with regulated pressure.
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:58 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
That's what many of us have, but most of us haven't installed it permanently. Much more convenient to be able to take it out of the basement and use it for other things. If you mean installing one in your truck, I believe Ozz and some others have done that.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:51 PM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I have the 135 psi version of that Porter Cable and keep it in the truck, from there with the long hose that it came with, it can reach my Monty, my truck tires or any other thing I happen to be towing. I also keep two Honda gennys, either of which to power up the compressor, or tie both together to use for the Monty as a 30 amp source.

I think you do need to use at least a 6 gallon or more capable compressor for optimum performance unless you don't mind the time spent with a lesser one. I can say I used smaller in the past and now I'm glad I at least have this one.

I don't have a need to winterize but using it to blow out the water lines is also another great use. You just need the water hose adapter to connect the compressor to the rig to blow out the lines. There's more details for doing this but just ask if you need to know how and someone will be right along to explain the details.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:39 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
If you mean 'On board' as in the TV, I have the 12 Volt Viair constant duty compressor piped to an air chuck on top of the running boards, and a 2.5 gallon air tank mounted under the truck. Also a 1500# CO2 air tank mounted in the truck bed.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:56 AM   #6
brooksider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9963
Thanks Ozz, that is what I need,
Joe
Old 12-01-2012, 03:58 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by brooksider

Thanks Ozz, that is what I need,
Joe
Joe, here's the 411 on the air tank. A 12 volt compressor is best coupled with an air tank, you get the first volume of air for the fill, then the compressor can refill the tank while you are driving down the road.
You must have a good pressure cut-off switch to cycle the compressor, both for the compressor warranty and also to cycle the compressor to lengthen it's life.
I wired in a relay so the compressor is energized only when the key is on: engine is running, as it pulls a lot of Amps, best to have the truck running then. Then put in the appropriate fuses: 30 amps for the 12 volt compressor. I have a switch to kill power to the compressor power, a good idea. The switch cuts the 12 volt coil power, so I could run low voltage (light gage) wire to the cab.
If you have any questions, please let me know and I will help if I can.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:58 PM   #8
brooksider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9963
Thanks again Ozz. I am looking at apurchase and a install when I get my truck back from the shop.
Joe