Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2010, 02:04 AM   #1
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
Digital Generator

HI I got my 3300 watt digital generator the twenty fifth of Jan. I checked it out and started it, ran it for thiry minutes, and ran one A/C unit. It did a great job of holding up, I also ran lights Television and computer with no problems. I shut it off and about five minutes later I tried to start it again. I couldn't get the electric start to work because the battery hadn't charged in the little time I ran it.I worked on it for forty minutes and gave up. I got in touch with the company whom I bought the unit from at first they said all sales are final and I would have to take it to a local repair shop. I was less than happy with that attitude so I sent the owner an email to much to write here, but told him he would take this unit back or else. He said if I would take the side cover off and open the carberator screw that I needed to get the air out of it, that has been a reason on some of them and they won't start until you do. I looked at the unit and I saw the gravel was wet under the front of it.Gas was running out under the control panel, I emailed again and told him I didn't want to take it apart if it would void my warantee and he said it wouldn't because the filter is behind the panel and needs replaced in the future. So I took it off and saw a leak next to the hose coming out of the gas tank, also saw something out of place by the hose. The reinforcement spring in the hose was sticking out and the clamp couldn't seal. I trimmed the spring and reconnected the hose and clamp and no more leak. I started the generator and hooked up the shore cord and ran it for two hrs and it kept up with demand with no problems. I think we've got a winner. All well that ends well the company that sold it was willing to have the labor and parts paid for if neccessary.

randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:11 AM   #2
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Does it say "Made in China" on it?
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 08:04 AM   #3
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
you would think huh! No its made in Germany, just assembled to fast or not caring how it effects the person who buys it. They only get paid for how many how fast they build. Otherwise it a very nice looking unit, yes it weights 123lbs takes two to load in most cases, but there is a pull rope version that is 70lbs. Its all good.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:42 PM   #4
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
Hi I ran the generator for one and a half hours today, the battery is charged and start easy. Only turns over for one and a half secounds before it starts. Its very quiet doesn't bother anyone yet. I will continue to run it daily when I am off work, break it in, if there is such a thing for a genny. I feel its going to be a great addition to our life style.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:41 PM   #5
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Randye: Be sure and run it at least once per month with a load on it -- generators have to have not only the motors exercised but also the generator portion as well. I have two Honda 2Ks and they are perfect for what I do -- however, this last year I only used one most times (summer and fall were abnormal around these parts to say the least). Regardless, I didn't use one as I should and when I did need it, not only hard to start but, according to the repair shop in Topeka, the stator had gummed up. Cost over 200 to clean and get to running. Before that 4 years with narry a bleep.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote