Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Pet Palace
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2008, 12:45 PM   #21
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
We have two 80-100lb labs, both are well enough trained that they don't need to be leashed, however we leash them anyway. We walk them several times a day and normally don't have any problems. We have however had a couple. All the dog problems we have had involved little dogs, ankle biters, a.k.a. Kick-a-poos. A lot of them seem to have a complex about being little and get it into their heads that they can kick ass on any dog bigger than them. Under normal circumstances (at home for instance) I would just let the chocolate lab have a snack cause she has attitude and demands respect from any dog. The yellow is more forgiving but I am not. I don't have any dog or bear spray (yet), but I did buy a regular light weight cattle prod at Agri-supply. It works very well on either rude dogs or irate owners. Only had to use it once at home but that was on a mastif with a real bad attitude. It worked very nicely. I guess the point I am trying to make is pet ownership is a privilege not a right and as such we should behave accordingly. I control my dogs and try to follow the rules, so should everybody else.. Dave JMHO

Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 02:23 PM   #22
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Dave,

Our 3 kick-a-poos, errr, yorkshire terriers, err, terriorsts, are not quite sure how to take your post, so, since we all had a hard day, and are a tad tired, and so as to not over react and say something we might later regret - - -

We shall just say, Campgrounds have leash rules, they should apply to ALL dogs, kick-a-poos, or larger versions that like snacks of kick-a-poos.

It is the owners that figure the rules do not apply to them that cause trouble, and make parks bann certain breeds, bann owners with more than 2 dogs per unit, or charge $5.00 per day per dog on top of your camping fees.

And it is those same owners that force me to be very leary of other dogs and make it very difficult for me to walk my terrorists, errrr, sweet, cuddly yorkies.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 03:04 PM   #23
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Oops! Carol, not meant to point finger at you and yours, just tried to make a dual point and I guess I failed terribly, sorry no more remarks about little people.. Dave
Old 04-12-2008, 03:16 PM   #24
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Apology accepted.

Duel point, or multi sized point, we all agree,

KEEP YOUR DOGS CONSTRAINED OR RESTRAINED (as in ON A LEASH)!
Old 04-12-2008, 03:42 PM   #25
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
I have two sweet miniature poodles. One will greet anybody and everybody, the other shy's away.

But when you hold either dogs, they will love you up. When you sit down they will cuddle up to you and give and take all the lovin' they can.

Outside, (on a leash), they will bark their heads off at another dog. Big and small.
Dave, my little dogs THINK they are big dogs barking away, until they come face to face to the big dog, then it is under my legs they go.

I know this well about my dogs and take responsibilities for them.

When they are yapping at the big guy across the street, I till them "you'd better be careful your inviting yourself (to be) for lunch"! LOL LOL LOL!

Dogs are like our kids.....It is the owners that need to take responsibility
PartyCrashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 04:50 PM   #26
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Where we are at at the moment, Brooklet, Ga. they have a small about 30 lb shepard mix, and a small also about 30 lb boxer, both females. Beau the yellow loves them to death, he spends most of the day running in circles with them and chasing them. They chase him all day too. Murphy (the beotch) goes out for a bit and growls at everybody then comes back in since she has done her job for the day (being the Beotch). Beau is gonna miss the girls when we head back north but that is the life of a sailor, a dog in every port. But THEY WILL STAY HERE IN GA. DO YOU HEAR THAT BETSY????
Old 04-12-2008, 05:07 PM   #27
labmom
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8371
In response to Dave's opinion, these two dogs are just plain sweet. Never have I seen so many dogs that are allowed to just run and be dumped off. The tan one (Pork Chop) is sooooo very sweet and just likes to be hugged and loved. I wanted to spray both the little dogs with Bio-Spot and have them stay in the fifth wheel for the night as it is going to be cold. I was met with a resounding NO!!!!!!!! If any one knows of anyone who is looking for two sweet small dogs, please let me know and I will see if we can meet up on the way home. I would love to see these two girls go to great homes.
We have been told that it would be great if we could take them off their hands. So, any takers? Or know anybody that is in the market for one or two sweet little girls?
Let me know.
Betsy
labmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 06:07 PM   #28
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
Betsy have you ever worked in a veterinary clinic? Most employees have this same DNA makeup, trying to help find homes etc. Thanks for your efforts, Chuck
lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 02:20 AM   #29
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
if you can determine (maybe) what breed they are, see if you can contact the national rescue group for that breed. See if they can assist.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:23 PM   #30
Ms McGyver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8531
Your comments regarding the size of the dogs--most don't realize that they're not the stock they were bred down in size from!

Our pom thinks he's a big guy, acts like a big guy--until mom puts him in his place. Responsible ownership makes life lovely for all of us, and irresponsibility wreaks havoc. Ringo is in training to become a therapy dog and as such, must spend time with unknown people, off leash, and still obey commands. When he becomes the tiniest bit headstrong during these training times, he gets treated like a two week old puppy by the head "bitch" of the pack and then he behaves. Still no leash necessary.

When he's not in training, he's leashed or contained, poop scooped, and water always available. I, too, will reroute my walks when there are unrestrained dogs--of any size. I can predict how Ringo will respond, but not the other dog.

The only real trouble we've had with dogs was 1) one who was suffering and in extreme pain. She attacked my bitch and could have killed her. A swift kick to where I knew she was hurting made her re-think her actions. Still, she shouldn't have been loose.
2) a very protective dog mis-interpreted DH's actions as an attack (it was a hug) on it's owner. Bill just missed having his arm severely bitten by a large boxer. Two band aids, a few bruises, and a new shirt was all that came of that. Except that owner doesn't take that particular dog camping anymore.

There is a leash law here in VA, and in many other states. Perhaps the phone numbers to local animal control is something each of us should look into when we pay for our reservations.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog" or in this case, the fight in righteous owners!
Ms McGyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 04:07 AM   #31
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Commenting on Rogers experience while hunting. We have had the same experience in the NW PA mountains. It was customary before hunting season to hunt down dog packs..and cat's (cats do not run in packs) that had been dumped in the wild..It does not take long for these animals, even the little guys to revert to the wild. The smaller dogs do not last long as they will starve or be killed by the bigger guys so usually the packs are big guys only. Your friendly house cat can grow very large and get very mean in a short time and they no longer meow.. The dogs in order to survive will run down deer and kill livestock..they are animals and revert to their natural hunter and killer instinct quickly..it is not a pretty sight. A friend and myself (we always hunted packs in pairs) were once charged by a very large mixed breed dog who had no fear of us what so ever..he was hungry and saw prey..We blew him up..no choice..the others scattered..but not far.. You friendly fur ball companion pet.. is capable of the same..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 07:50 AM   #32
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Last fall the wife and I stopped in that same park (Frog City) while on the way to Houston. We had the same thing happen, found out the offending dog belonged to the owner/manager of the park. The same lady that had signed me in and pointed out the highlighted dogs on lease rule. We were about 50 feet from the office when this happened, her dog actually came out of the campground office.

Being a grumpy old retired CWO I pulled my scrawney ol self up to my full 6' and started a tirade that you wouldn't believe. I got the same sorry crap and I let her know that what she was saying was crap and I didn't buy a bit of it, then I started calling 911 just to prove the point. She realized I was deadly serious and cuffed her dog and got the heck back in her office, by the way, we got a full refund for that nights camping.

Obviously they didn't learn much from that if it also happend to you, sorry.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 10:17 AM   #33
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Jim,

Sorry you had to deal with it as well.

I wrote an email to the campground, no response, but, I did not expect one.

Got no refund, so you done good!

The human condition and study of it sure is interesting, and that is not always a good thing.