Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2007, 10:44 PM   #1
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
Loss of DC power

Well, we picked up our new 2007 3000RK last Wednesday and drove it from Michigan to Virginia. While camping in Virginia I blew the landing gear leg fuse by not stopping the extension in time. At the time, we didn't know there was a seperate fuse for the Landing gear up in the front compartment.

Initial trouble shooting consisted of securing shore power and turning battery disconnect to off and then pulling fuses to check for any blown fuses. None and heard back from the dealer about the fuse up front. Put back the other fuses and turned disconnect back on and turned AC power back on. Got a fuse for the landing gear and all seemed well. Next morning triped the 30 Amp breaker on the CG post and lost ALL lights and equipment in the montana. Checked the battery disconnect and it was in the on position but no dc power. Landing gear still works but not the slides (unless on shore power and providing power through the converter). We have the 2 6v battery system. I think the problem is a blown fuse in the battery in line fuse however I can not find a fuse anywhere in the battery wiring. Does anyone know where that fuse is and how to get to it, or alternatively what else could be our problem?

thanks,

Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 12:20 AM   #2
ashlandcpa
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6686
Had a problem with my 3000 12 volt system and looked at everything. Eventually decided to look at all the fuses in the fuse panel for a second time and found the 30 amp fuses in the fuse panel had blown but could only see the break if I held them up to a light. Replaced and no problems since. Congrats on the 3000 RK. Love mine. Good luck.
ashlandcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 08:20 AM   #3
kmh3212
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6735
I put a black electrical tape wrap around my front landing gear legs so it is easy to see that so they don't get retracted too far in. Too far retracting the legs or extending the legs will eventually ruin the gearing.
kmh3212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 08:29 AM   #4
William Schelling
Established Member

M.O.C. #6701
Congrats on the new 3000rk. Sorry to hear about the problem. Where in Va did you go? You probably where not too far from us.
I can't help on the elect. Sounds like a fuse.
William Schelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 06:28 PM   #5
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
We live in Virginia Beach Virginia but spent the weekend in Waynesboro (between Charlottesville and Stauton.

Have isolated the problem to one of the two Short Stop fuses. When I stopped by and RV parts store to buy a new one found out they have Amp ratings and of course I didn't know mine. Called the factory, got sent to service, put on hold, eventually the machine offered to take my name and number and have someone call me. Still waiting for a return call. Followed up factory call with a call the the service tech at the dealership. He was 80% sure they Short Stop fuses were 30 Amp......bought two of them.

only one of the two was blown but upon removing the fuse found that it really has a 50AMP rating so back to the store tomorrow to exchange it and hopefully get my unit back up to snuff.
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote