Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2006, 04:09 AM   #1
glenski01
Established Member

M.O.C. #6561
soon to be Newbie

Thanks for allowing us to research all the helpful info on Montana's. Now that I think about it, when I signed up I did not read if it is a requirement to own a Montana. We intend to own one by Mar or April 07.

We currently utilize the forum on our 05 Travel Trailer, & it is great, looks like the Montana forum is even better!

We are going to jump right into this, new truck req'd & a new 3400RL. Have researched & looked at many 5th wheels. Our initial budget was closer to $30K, then we saw the Montana. I guess one knows the right unit, once you see it. As usual the cost is more than intended.

Have no idea how to hook up a 5th wheel, how sharp we can turn, etc etc. Am very adept to towing though. From research heard the Mor Ryde is a must have feature. Also the "Blue Ox" on the hitch?? viewed the video, seems like a good item to have.

Hoping the Montana is not over the top for us, we actually camp mostly in Forest or State campgrounds, rarely go to to RV parks, so dirt is an issue, along with our two large dogs . Wish Keystone would allow one to order minor changes (vinyl in lieu of carpet in lower living area for us works much much better, but told by dealer no mods accepted, one of the few down side for us in this line.)

Not anywhere near retirement, and once there doubt we will actually full time it, but we like the 3400RL & quality feel of Montana so much more than most other models we have looked at.

Again, thanks for all the info, here we go!!!

glenski01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 04:36 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Welcome to the family. If your TV (tow vehicle) is set up correctly you should be able to do a 90 degree turn and put the 5th wheel in locations you might not be able to put your TT. The best thing I like about the 5th is the stability going down the road when big rigs or buses pass. As far a parking the 5th wheel you will learn to pull a little farther past your original spot to start backing. It takes the 5th a little longer to react but once it does her it comes. As you probably know practicing in an empty parking lot is great and never be afraid to start again.
Good luck and tow safe.
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 05:08 AM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Welcome to the Forum. There are those who have replaced the carpet with alternative flooring and seem to be happy with their result. Kohl is right about the backing characteristics. The key facter is to develop patience in getting your rig into position.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 06:15 AM   #4
Bluegill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6121
Hey Glen, Welcome aboard.
You have come to the right place to do your research. I have learned a lot in the 4 months I have been here. And I have asked some off the wall questions and they havent kicked me out yet.
Jump in and ask away, these guys will help with no reserve.
Shoot fire.... I might even be able to answer a question now (an easy one)
Bluegill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 06:26 AM   #5
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Welcome the the University of MOC. Like you, we don't own a TV or a Montana yet. With the education we are getting here, we will make the right decision on model and options when it comes time to buy. Our TV should come down the assembly line tomorrow and we should have it within two weeks. After it arrives, we know what we want to add to it so that it will be ready and safe to pull the Montana when we order it, all thanks to what we have learned here.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 07:19 AM   #6
emurray
Established Member

M.O.C. #6507
Glenn, welcome aboard.
We just bought our Montana Mountaineer 344RET (36') in July of this year. We absolutely love it. Like you, we decided to to jump in with both feet(new truck, new 5th wheel). Originally, we were thinking of something in the 27-30' range. We also looked at a lot of 5th wheels, but when we saw this one, we looked at each other and both said "This is the one." We find the kitchen more than adequate to prepare just about any meal you want to and the living area is very comfortable. We like the idea that we can carry most anything we want to and don't have to be so careful when packing for a trip. Most of what we take on trips just stays in the 5th wheel, there is plenty of storage.

Once we made the deal, we thought we had gone a bit over the top, but after our 8th trip since July, we wonder how we ever got along with anything less. We also like to go to State Parks, National Parks, etc. and, so far, have not had a problem, due to the size of the rig (just be mindful of the heighth). We have seen some parks where they limit the length of the RV to something less than ours. In those cases we have talked to the Rangers and, if possible, they will usually work with you to find a spot. With a little practice and experience, you will be able to put the 5th wheel in some pretty remote places. It is a little different from backing a "pull-along", but you'll quickly get used to it. You'll really like the stability on the highway.

You mentioned flooring other than carpet. I saw an article about replacing the carpeting with laminate flooring and it didn't seem very difficult at all. With two large dogs, that might be worth your consideration. I'll try to figure wher I saw it and let you know...
emurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 07:33 AM   #7
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
There are some other forums which have a lot of other information you'll need and want to know. Would recommend becoming an Escapee (SKP) and attending their spring Escapade which has various siminars, etc. Go to www.escapees.com You don't have to be a member to use most of their forums. Another site is www.rv.net

mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 07:35 AM   #8
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
There are some other forums which have a lot of other information you'll need and want to know. Would recommend becoming an Escapee (SKP) and attending their spring Escapade which has various siminars, etc. Go to www.escapees.com You don't have to be a member to use most of their forums. Another site is www.rv.net

Old 11-26-2006, 07:36 AM   #9
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
There are some other forums which have a lot of other information you'll need and want to know. Would recommend becoming an Escapee (SKP) and attending their spring Escapade which has various siminars, etc. Go to www.escapees.com You don't have to be a member to use most of their forums. Another site is www.rv.net Have fun!

Old 11-26-2006, 08:07 AM   #10
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Glen,

Welcome to the forum! It was nice chatting with you and good luck on your purchase!

We love boondocking in the State and National campgrounds as well, however, most of our previous favorite spots are no longer an option, as we just don't fit with length and slide width. It will get worse with the slides on both sides of the 3400. A lot of the old national and state parks were designed 40 yrs ago for a 24 ft trailer or pickup camper. You'll just have to be selective and preplan a little.

Otherwise we are spoiled now with the size and features of the Montana, and wouldn't go back to anything smaller. Great for road trips as well as weekends.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 12:23 PM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well the 3400 is a bit on the large side and it may limit were you can camp.. We have foud that there are some of the C'G's that we camped in that we can no longer go to including some State parks.But..you can alway find a Park that you can fit into..You may want to do some more home work on the State and National parks that YOU want to camp in make sure you can fit...there are smaller Montana's than the 3400.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 12:46 PM   #12
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
Welcome to the Club glenski01!!!! Since you have some experience with a travel trailer, you'll find a 5th wheel not that much different. I started RVing with another 5th wheel and had no camping experience at all. My first trip, I hooked it up and took it to a KOA 30 miles away for a weekend, and didn't have not one problem except that I found out I needed a LOT of stuff to buy for the next trip. You'll be just fine and some of these units are very close to 39 feet so like some of the other poster indicated, there are some places you will not be able to get it in. Again...welcome to the forum! Allison
SKOOBDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 01:21 PM   #13
jretz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6321
Welcome, We are new to the Montana ourselfs. In fact we have not picked ours up yet, we get it on the 8th. After looking for a year we feel it is the best value for your dollar and has the best layout. We are going from a 22 foot class C to the 3400RL. We utilized many National Forest campground previously and know we can not get the new 5er into some of our favorites but the trade off of more room and better living conditions we feel will more than make up for it.

Hope to see you on the road.

Jim R.
jretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 01:30 PM   #14
GlobalDouglas
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6376
Welcome to the wonderful world of Montana ownership! As a newbie myself I've found this site to awesome! I appreciate all the thought, ideas and opinions (even if I don't always agree or understand)!
Peace and happy trails!
GlobalDouglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 01:57 PM   #15
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
Another welcome to our family!! You will find that this group really is one large extended family. We do act just like family members, we don't always agree on ideas or opinions, but we always respect each other. Can't say that for some of the other forums I check.

The people here are always ready to help no matter what you need or want. Don't think you find a better group of people anywhere.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote