Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2006, 05:40 AM   #1
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
3400 vs 3475 or is it 3485?

Bonnie and I are now starting to zero in on which model Montana we are going to buy. We like the openness of the living area of the 3475, but the upcoming model change to 3485 along with some of your comments about the 3400 has us rethinking our plans. Here is what led us to the point we are now at.

It seems that with the 3475 you have access to all areas with the slides in which would be handy when overnighting at Walmart for example. Many of you prefer the 3400 because of its increased counter and storage space, however the counter with the sink blocks access to the rear with the slides in. Also there is almost 700 pounds less carrying capacity in the 3400 vs 3475.

With the new 3485 we feel we would sorely miss the drawer stack that the relocated washer/dryer would eliminate. The enclosed bath area does not matter, in fact Bonnie is wondering whether the enclosed area would be a plus to reduce humidity from the shower in the bedroom. Does anyone know anything about the specs on the 3485 yet? I visited our area dealer on Friday. They had no clue as to what a 3485 was until I showed them on the Forum.

Please feel free to tear into what I have just said. I realize that our final choice will be what makes us comfortable, but we love to read other opinions on what makes you comfortable. This might help us discover something that we haven't thought about.

Don and Bonnie

DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 06:29 AM   #2
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Don and Bonnie
Access to the rear in the 3400 can easily be handled by extending the main slide a little bit. We don't do WalMart for overnighters but we have used our 3400 without problems in every other consideration. It has been said here many times to look at the unit for when you will spend the most time. That will be parked and set up in a campground. You will use the unit only a small amount of the time on the road. We have no problem with the shower in the bedroom. We have vent covers and keep one or three vents opened all the time. We previously had a 5er with the shower and toilet in a small room. It was hard to get dried and dressed in that small area. I love all the room in the dressing area of the 3400. Good luck on your search for YOUR perfect Montana.
Happy trails.......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 06:49 AM   #3
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Parrothead,
Your comments are exactly what we're looking for. It never crossed our mind that a fully enclosed bath would restrict drying off. I suspected that there was sufficient ventilation to remove the humidity, but its good to hear someone with experience confirm it. As for access with the closed slides, I guess having a minor inconvenience for a minor amount of time isn't really an inconvenience at all. Thank you.
Don and Bonnie
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 07:12 AM   #4
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
We purchased the 3400RL and have never looked back. Parrothead is right about the time you use the rig while on the road. It is when you are in the CG and set up that matters. We can access the frig and the bathroom when we stop for lunch or fuel and that is all that matters to us. It is all in what matters to you that in the end counts. What might me a small inconvenience to me might be a big one to you. All I can say is the minute we walked into the 3400 we knew that is the one we wanted. You will know when you see it that is for sure. Good luck. Kathi
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 07:23 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Think carefully about your needs in a camper.How you use the camper will determine what floorplan is best for you. We really liked the 3475 also but Helen opted for the 3400 because she determined it had more counter space than the 3475. We like Sue have the 3400 and true the slides prohibit entry into the rear of the camper when closed.However for the very few times we need that access while on the road we just use the selector switch's to control which slide we would like to extend. Open the main slide a few inches and you have complete access to the rear of the camper.Open the kitchen slide a few inches and you can get to the sink and stove. Humidity in the shower area can be controlled with any bathroom configuration . Take your time in considering how you will use the camper and the model will jump out at you.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 08:25 AM   #6
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
DonandBonnie, we have a model similar to the 3400 in that it has the L-shaped counter but ours opens to the rear. We have to open the LR slide if we stop for lunch or an overnite at Walmart. But the selector valves, as Rich mentioned, allow us to do that very easily and the slide only needs to be opened a small amount, less than the depth of our outdoor steps. I wouldn't let this issue effect your choice of a floorplan if you find one that you really like. Both the 3400 and the 3475 are great plans and I'm sure that the new 3485 will also become a favorite.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 09:15 AM   #7
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
What Rich said, especially the part about the extra counter space...otherwise it is wasted space. The living area is still plenty big, even with the counter sitting there.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 10:33 AM   #8
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I can only repeat all the previous posts. The additional carrying capacity in the 3475RL comes from having 1 less slide when compared to the 3400RL. Amazing at how much one of those slide rooms can weigh. I can say that after being on the road for 7 weeks and staying many nights in Wal*Mart parking lots and truck stops, the 3400RL does have a few small issues. The trick I found was I made sure to have lunch and dinner packed in the fridge the morning before I left camp when I knew I would be staying in a parking lot that night. You cannot get to the pantry, but it sure was no big deal. I put my paper plates and plastic silverware in the washer/dryer closet. Also put a bag of chips, crackers or cookies in there as well. The rest of the meal would be in the fridge, which you can get to with everything closed. The other thing I really like about the 3400RL is you can get to the watercloset, shower, and bed without opening any slides. Truck drivers do not like it when Rv'ers are sitting in a rest area or truck stop with slides open preventing them from parking in the space next to you.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 10:37 AM   #9
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Don and Bonnie, Those 616 days will pass by fast and who knows what newer models they may have by then. What you are doing is a tuff decision. Last year we looked for about 6 months at units and chose what we thought was the best unit. It had a open floor plan with an enclosed bath. We did only camping and it was nice because when you stopped at a truck stop you could walk down the center to get to everything. Then we went on a long trip covering over 4000 miles, that is when we found out the unit did not meet our needs for that type of travel. If my wife was fixing her hair and i needed to go to the pot either she she had to get out or i had to wait. It was hard for 2 to get dressed in the bed room. I hated going to a laundry mat. Not enough storage space. Not enough counter space. Therefore we just traded for a new 3400RL after 1 year. I wish i had known about this forum when we were looking the first time. However what ever you decide on will be something to look forward too. You can not go wrong with a Montana. You get a lot for the dollar with a Montana. Good luck in your search.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 11:12 AM   #10
Bobcat
Established Member

M.O.C. #6048
When we were looking we went to an RV show. Spent over an our in the 3400, sitting, walking around, talking with other people at the show. We then looked at other makes and models. Was still having a hard time of making a choice. Through out this process the 3400 kept coming up. Finally I made a list of what we needed to live a 5th wheel. The 3400 won hands down.
Bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 01:36 PM   #11
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
This question is much like asking which is better the GMC or the Ford. No matter who responds the answer will always be the same. If you just look at their signature and you will see staring back at you. 99% will more often than not recommend what they already own. Ego does not allow us to recommend anything we don't already own.
Having said that, I would like to point out the obvious and that is everyone above that owns a 3400 and has coincidentally recommended the 3400, Well DUH. With few acceptions, most all of those that have negative comments about the 3485 have never seen one up close and personal because it is that new.
As far as the "We previously had a 5er with the shower and toilet in a small room. It was hard to get dried and dressed in that small area." Maybe in SOB (some other brand) but I am well over 300 pounds and having been in a 3485 I did not see any such problem drying off in the bathroom area.
Unless you do a lot of cooking you will come to find that huge counter to be a huge waste space and as you said it cuts access to the rear. Plus you still have the additional weight of the 4th unnecessary slide.

There was an earlier thread showing pics of the 3485 but even these pics do not do it justice.
I have been in the new 3485 and infact will be buying one come January. I would strongly suggest to you that you make NO decision until you have seen each rig personally.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 01:46 PM   #12
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Bottom line is what works best for you and your situation. We have an open floor plan and it works great for the type of traveling we do. The 3485 is a very good addition to the Montana line up - we liked it the minute we saw it, and the all in one bath looks plenty big. Weigh what everyone says about the units they own, see as many floorplans as you can, study the specs, and then make your decision on what will work for you. Good luck and enjoy the process.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 02:08 PM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Don and Bonnie, the brochure carrying capacity is a bit misleading. The numbers you see are the official numbers. However, the calculation is misleading. Bottom line, when we were considering trading our 3295RK for a 3400RL we had the same carrying capacity concern. I asked and was told by Keystone that if our 3295RK handles the load ok then so will the 3400. And it does.

The 3295RK has the highest pinweight and carrying capacity, the 3400RL one of the lowest of both of those, per the brochure. Carrying capacity is GVWR less empty rig weight. GVWR is calculated as empty pinweight plus axle capacity (not the weight on the axles but the axle rating). All the current Montanas have the same axle capacity. Thus, GVWR is calculated as empty pinweight plus 12,000 lbs (2 axles at 6,000 each). You can verify this by looking at the brochure and adding the pinweight to 12,000 lbs.

Our 3295RK had a GVWR of 14,300 lbs. Our 3400RL has GVWR of 13,975, despite being almost three feet longer and using the same frame design, weight, etc.

With all our gear from the 3295 in the 3400, the 3400 weighs, per a CAT scale, just 260 lbs more than did our 3295RK.

To me, whether the 3400 can handle as much as the 3295 or any of the other Montanas is a non-issue.

Just my opinion, though.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 06:42 PM   #14
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
I can't speak for the others, however, I would think you would want to meet all, or, at least, as many of your possible uses you could put your 5er too. List them, prioritize and quantify them and then find the one that fits. It may or may not be a Montana. In may case, I want sq. footage, a big desk and as complete access as possible at all times. I purchases the 3575RL. It had a 6ft desk, three slides and around 380 sq ft. I have complete access to everything in the 5er at all times, except the dresser when closed. I don't have to worry about whether my 5er is opened up when traveling.

Also, I don't think you need to look at all the 5ers out there before you pick the one your want. For example, in my case, no large desk...no buy. That got rid of about 60-70% of all 5ers. It had to have at least 350 sq ft...that required multiple slides and at least 35ft 5er. That got rid of some more. And so on. I got to admit that this self-analysis is a real pain, however, if you don't do it...you will either be unhappy with your unit or trading it in within a year or two...and that could end up costing you $10-20K. Take your time. If the preliminary data on the 3485 doesn't fit what you want, forget it and go on to the others. If you aren't sure and have no time pressure, wait and give it a look. A couple of months could make a world of difference.

This analysis is not really any different that you would use when you are buying a house...and you would make sure you would do the analysis.

Oh well, just my two cents. Any change?
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 08:30 PM   #15
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Glenn brings up a very good point, until you see the new 3485RL I would not rule it in or out. I can say that I have been inside the new 3485RL and I would not buy it. I did like the new large window in the hall across from the watercloset. The all in one watercloset was different, not sure what I think of it yet. I do agree the door needs to open outward instead of inward. I do not like the washer/dryer in the bedroom, it forces you to buy a combo unit, and I want a stackable unit. I did not like the high stairs that was created by the removal of the inside step. The pullout storage area behind the new flat screen tv was a nice touch. The small counter area in the kitchen is a no go for me, and the cabinet space is wasted in my opinion. I see no need for a "broom closet", especially when it takes away from storage in the kitchen area. I noticed that because of the new all in one watercloset, the bedroom area felt very small and closed in to me. Almost forces a person to get the queen size bed. While I like my 3400RL, there are other floorplan by other brands I like better. The 3400RL is the best that fit MY needs/requirements in the Montana lineup.

Like I said before, find the floorplan that jumps out at you and says "I am the one". Once you have that picked out, the rest will be easy. Just my thoughts....
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 10:54 PM   #16
Tom Gina 06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5993
If you like to cook and entertain then consider the amount of counter space. Much more fun if you can multi-task in the kitchen. This was the main thing that hit us when we decided on our Monty. Live in a rear kitchen Forest River product now and like said before taking a major hit $$ wise. This account we didn't have a clue we would take the step to fulltime until we tried it for the Winter this year. After all the tours the counter space issue was the main focus in our search for a new home. Throw in a computer desk, angled entertainment center, the amount of closet and dresser space, plus the stackable W/D. You can just about figure what we have ordered.

Remember the.....
Tom Gina 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 06:11 AM   #17
montanaman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5414
We have friends that have the 3400. We have the 3475. We don't cook alot so we don't need a whole lot of counter space. We actually added on a very nice side island to match the cabinets that attaches right above the central vac under the counter and can flip that out any time we need some extra counter space. We have friends who have the 3400 and they do have a bit of problem getting to the back of their unit, but he like to cook and wanted the setup in the 3400. We also like more of the openess with the 3475. But everyone has their own style and tastes. I can tell you the best unit I have seen is the 3575rl but they don't make this floor plan any longer.
montanaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 07:53 AM   #18
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
We were torn between the 3475 and 3400, and by just looking at floorplans we decided on the 3475 as it had the same kitchen as our 2955RL that we were used to.

However, after spending time walking around each model at the dealer, we changed our mind and went with the 3400 - reason included:
  • were were afraid the 3400 kitchen would be claustrophobic, turned out it was more roomy than we thought
  • We didn't like the spindles on the 3475 that took up what little counter there was
  • The pantry on the 3400 appealed to us
  • We verified there was access to the fridge on the 3400 with the slides in, which was important to us for load/unload
  • The 3475 had the same cabinet space as our 2955, which was already overloaded. The extra cabinetry in the 3400 was a bonus

We also couldn't ignore resale. Important to some and not to others, but the 3400 and 2955 are the top sellers as we were told by multiple dealers. Our 2955 sold with a phone call and was gone in one day. It was a little scary to see some of the models (not mentioned) that are 2 years old and still sitting on the lot. Even though they are cool floorplans, the dealers just can't seem to move them.

I'm not too proud to tell you if I bought something that was a mistake or if there were things I would do different. One of the killer things to us on our 2955 was the sofa bed hitting the kitchen blocking off access to the door. We lived with it, but I made sure we didn't go down that road on the next one.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 04:23 PM   #19
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
We (DW and I) spent 2 years looking for our last trailer had it for 6 years and have spent 2 years looking for the current model Montana that we are in. I would advise you to look at all the models and how they would fit you and your life style. If you can't find the floor plan you want look at other brands. After looking at all the floor plans of all the brands out there you start seeing the same floor plan over and over again. For instance, the McKenzie has the exact same floor plan as the Montana 3400 and 3500, plus a few others. So does the Cedar Creek. Not saying the quality is the same, but the floor plan is. Find the floor plan that fits you and start hitting the web for models that fit that plan and compare them. The new Montana floor plan is available in some brand so you can see how it would fit you.

I really don't care what someone else has as I have to live in what I bought. All units and plans have pluses and issues.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 05:01 PM   #20
Tom Gina 06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5993
If you like to cook consider counter space it will make entertaining much more fun. Nothing better than having the room for both of us to work the kitchen area at the same time. This was a big deal for us when it came to our decision. There are a couple of floorplans that would have worked, but then that is when it became a personal decision. So go with your heart and gut feeling and consider counter space if you like to entertain friends.

Remember the...................
Tom Gina 06 is offline   Reply With Quote