Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2005, 04:56 AM   #1
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Parks in the Pensecola, Fla. area

When my mother passed away two years ago, I was able to forge a relationship with my uncle, who had been a chief petty officer in the navy. He had always stayed away from the old hometown, eventually retiring to Pensecola, but we hit it off when he came to the funeral, and it was reassuring to have family out there somewhere, so we have stayed in contact.

I was talking to him the other day, and he has just learned that he has lung cancer and will start chemo. Though his attitude is wonderful—he says he is going to be killed by a jealous husband when he is 125 —I am thinking about taking the Montana down to that area sometime and see him.

Where I need help is any good parks where we could stay. I have always been partial to state parks as opposed to RV parks, but have not stayed in one in Florida since the 60s. Can anyone name a nice state park campground in the Pensecola—Milton area or a nice RV park in lieu of that?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 09:41 AM   #2
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
J.D. I do not know about the state parks in this area but we are at the Eagles Landing park in Holt FL. It is 37 miles from Pensacola, It is at exit 45 on interstate 10 and is only 3/10s of a mile off the interstate. They have 60 nice large spaces and are very frindley and helpful. I will be happy to send you the phone number if you are interested.
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 10:20 AM   #3
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
J. D., your inquiry give me the opportunity to send greetings and best wishes with fond memories of our most pleasant afternoon together at Stone Mountain.

One of our favorite parks in the entire country was Ft. Pickens in the Gulf Shores National Seashore out on Santa Rosa Island (across from the Naval Air Station), but it was totally destroyed by hurricane Ivan last year. I'm not sure it has ever opened again, and certainly not sure of the condition, but we have spent many happy days there, from the time our daughter was John's age to just before the hurricane hit.

There are several private campgrounds in the area but we never wanted to stay in any of them because we were so fond of Ft. Pickens. You would have plenty of good choices, I'm sure.

The first time we camped there it was "Ft. Pickens State Park" and that was in October of 1962. I do hope the park will be restored, if it has not already been.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 11:47 AM   #4
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Linda, I found the web site for Eagles Landing and it looks nice as well as reasonably priced. Thanks for the tip; I will probably call and see if they can send me any brochures.

David, we too have fond memories of meeting the two of you at Stone Mountain. I was checking the Florida state parks web pages and it seems like most of the parks along the coast took a hammering from the hurricanes. I understand how you feel about honing in on one campground that you like to the exclusion of others. Marsha and I feel that way about Unicoi SP.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:08 AM   #5
pandew
Established Member

M.O.C. #4408
The KOA at I-10 exit 31 (Milton KOA) is nice if you want the amentities like cable TV. We live at exit 22 but went over to the KOA with the Monty during Katrina just to stay higher and dryer then where we live (just in case of one of those funny tidal surges). There is an old KOA (out of the system now) at exit 26 which is less expensive but no cable and you don't do much with an antenna in the Pensacola/Milton area.
pandew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 12:08 PM   #6
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
That section of the Gulf coast has been badly damaged by several recent hurricanes. There were some nice parks along there. We were at Gulf State Park in Gulf Shores, AL recently, Although it is horribly damaged from what it used to be, some the campsites have been rebuilt with new large paved pads and full services (50 amp power at all sites). They have pretty good off-season rates at this time of the year. There were lots of open sites when we were there. I think it is about an hour's drive away from Pensacola.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 02:56 PM   #7
paparonsr
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #168
Have stayed at Big Lagoon State Park, not far from Pensacola, a few years ago. It was a nice park then but not sure if it received damage from any of the hurricanes or not---I would definitely go there again if I were in the area.
paparonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 06:07 AM   #8
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Thanks for the tips; I will look into them!