Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2013, 02:53 PM   #1
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Drilling the counter top?

I've been thinking about ways to conceal the HDMI cable from my DirecTV box to the TV. One way would be to route it through two new holes, one in the bottom of the cabinet where the antenna connections are and the other through the counter top behind the TV. Can the counter top be drilled without splintering or chipping? I'd like to drill an inch to inch and a half hole.

DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:02 PM   #2
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
are your counter top solid serface or formica the both can be drilled with no problem just make sure the bit is sharp and put a bit of tape over the area to help prevent splintering good luck
Old 02-28-2013, 04:00 PM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Holes in the counter top? Please reconsider. The HDMI cable is going to be visible when the TV is stored and so will the hole. Since it is difficult (or impossible) to drag another HDMI cable through the wall, an easier alternative (and better looking IMHO) is to use a HDMI Switch. Go to this post for a longer (and better) explanation.
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=51935

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:06 PM   #4
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
I asked the tech about the switch. His opinion is that there is loss of HD clarity and sharpness with the switch vs a cable. Opinions?
Old 02-28-2013, 04:19 PM   #5
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
As for the cable visibility when the TV is down, on the 3700RL there is a window behind the TV. If I decide on the holes, my plan is to run the cable behind the drapes at the side of the window. Only a couple inches of the cable will be visible when the TV is down.

There is currently a hole in the wall between where the TV box sits and the cabinet with the coax connections. The hole has a plastic grommet that fills the hole and covers any saw cuts. Lowes sells those grommets. That will improve the appearance of a well cut hole.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:31 PM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
When we had the restaurant we drilled holes in counters quite often. Sharp bit, use the tape and then use the grommet, as long as you do all three you should end up with a decent appearing result.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:58 AM   #7
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
It is *VERY* unlikely you will see any difference is picture quality with the switch or without it. It is an inexpensive solution. Give it a try. The holes will be forever!

Also consider when the POS Samsung Stereo dies (mine is going out now), you can replace it with a unit which has multiple HDMI inputs. That is the absolute best solution used in most big dollar home entertainment systems. And the Stereo is basically a HDMI switch.
Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:39 AM   #8
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
When we used a HMDI switch at home I saw no difference in picture quality.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:12 AM   #9
Flymutt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12223
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

When we had the restaurant we drilled holes in counters quite often. Sharp bit, use the tape and then use the grommet, as long as you do all three you should end up with a decent appearing result.
Masking tape...right?
Flymutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:35 PM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I drilled my counter top with no problems at all, Installed the R.O. faucet and a soap dispenser. I don't know if mine is the same as yours.
I ran my cables for my survellance TV up the hollow wall chase. again, mine may be different.
https://picasaweb.google.com/Jimsue13/20110822KitchenFaucetReplacment8222011?authuser=0& feat=directlink
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:10 PM   #11
PatnRich
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1250
The top can be drilled. Wood, p-lam, Corian, a sharp hole saw works well, tape can help to minimize splintering. For a finished look use a desk grommet.

PatnRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:27 PM   #12
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Got a brand new hole saw, the desk top grommets and a right angle attachment for my drill and some tape. Now all I need is the courage to start the cut.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:38 AM   #13
Parts Ed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11144
Go for it and don't forget to take photos of your work for the rest of us!!
Parts Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:30 AM   #14
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Mission accomplished! Photos will follow after I figure out how to upload them. Got a couple 1-3/4" desktop wire grommets and a 2" hole saw from Lowes and that's all it took. Can't say this will work on all models but here's how it works on the 3700RL.

1st. Drop the TV and sight a line from the cabinet above down behind the left window curtain to the TV counter top. This is where the cable will run.

2nd. Remove the upholstery covered gizmo that hides the top of the day/night shades and lay it down on the counter. Unscrew the bottom curtain bracket on the left side.

3rd. Use the 2" hole saw to carefully drill through the bottom of the cabinet on the line that you sighted. I can't emphasize carefully enough. There are speaker wires and an HDMI cable that run just below the cabinet floor. Reach into the space and move the wires out of the way, then finish the 2" hole through the bottom layer of the cable channel.

4th. Hold the curtain gizmo back up where it belongs with your hand and draw a circle on the fabric through the holes that you just cut. Slit the fabric, top and bottom about the center of the circle. The hole through this does not have to be 2", just big enough for the HDMI cable to fit through.

5th. Cover the area the saw hole in the TV counter top with masking tape. Make it a bit bigger than the diameter of the 2" hole. On the line that you sighted, drill the hole through the counter top. Check for wires underneath first. I didn't have any. When finished remove the masking tape.

6th. Put all of the curtain stuff back and screw it in place.

7th. Remove the caps from the desktop grommets and place in holes in the cabinet and the counter top. I did not like how loose they fit so I wrapped masking tape around the grommet so that it fit snug.

8th. Run a 10' or more HDMI cable from the back of the DireTV box into the cabinet on the left, down through the holes you just drilled into the TV cavity. Raise the TV and plug the cable in. Make sure there is enough cable in the cavity so that the TV raises and lowers freely.

9th. Put the caps on the desktop grommets. Sit back. Admire your work. Have a beer.

When the TV is raised you won't see the wires unless you look hard. When the TV is down only a couple inches will show from the bottom of the curtain to the top of the counter. I'm looking for a material to wrap that short distance so that the wire will blend with the wall.

The limiting factor on the size of the grommet is so that the HDMI cable connector will pass through. I used the 1-3/4 desktop because that was the smallest that Lowes had that looked suitable to me.