Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2013, 04:21 PM   #1
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Super Excited - about to go LED

I am SUPER excited!!! My husband has finally given me his blessing to swap out ALL of the bulbs in the trailer to LEDs!!! We are going to be ordering them through Michael and Kat (snfexpress) at filamentfree.com! They have been so generous with their 20% off for all MOC members and Michael has been helping me figure out exactly what LEDs we need!

You can't see me but I am doing the 'happy dance'!!! Next stop is solar/inverter/battery upgrade thanks to Ozz's, GKerlin's, ExnavyDiver's, and many others encouragment!!!

More happy dancing! I can't wait to go boondocking! I am going to be able to run ALL of the lgihts, my microwave, my Keurig, my laptop, my big screen TV, etc ALL AT ONCE! Okay...maybe not all at once but don't any of you burst my bubble! Let me rejoice for just a little while!

BusyCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:25 PM   #2
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
You will like the LED's. Michael and Kat have a great product.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:42 AM   #3
bish
Site Team

M.O.C. #8644
X-2 on the LED's from Michael & Kat
Enjoy them and your Happy Dance

2009 10th Anniversary 3400RL, LED bulbs throughout unit, Level up, X-Factor, Wet bolts, Disc brakes, Sailun S637 tires.
bish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:49 AM   #4
CATCRAW
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11243
We went all LED in the Fall and love it - Michael & Kat's of course....One left to replace a 120V 40W candelabra and have not found one yet...They all seem to be 20W and not sure that would be bright enough...
CATCRAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:07 AM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
BusyCarol... it's fun to read you are ready for boondocking with all those gadgets. I'm guessing you will either have a monster of an inverter to run the 110v gadgets and I hope you have either one monster of a battery bank or some kind of generator or other type of recharge or power source.

You didn't mention running the A/C, so I'm curious to what you are doing. Converting to all LEDs should certainly keep the electrical demand lower.

For comparison, my off-the-grid capability power capability is a couple of dual Hondas. This doesn't solve the water supply (need a bladder and pump for refilling) or dumping (need a "tote" for that). Until then we keep the off-the-grid opportunities to a minimum. LED lights are on the list for improving power needs.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:50 AM   #6
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
I am glad to hear that everyone has had good luck with Michael & Kat's lights. I have heard nothing but praise for them!

Art, to answer your question I first need to admit I am actually kidding(just a little) about all of the gadgets. We do use them all but not necessarily when we are boondocking and not generally all at the same time. We are fairly good at roughing it as a family but when Mama wants her technology, Mama WANTS her technology!

Luckily my husband is an Electrical Engineer and knows more about watts, amps, etc than I care to know. So in addition to the LEDs he has figured out that an inverter of around 2000watts (may get the 2800 just because 'bigger is better' and it is only $200 more) will suit our needs. We are adding 4 solar panels, and a total of 4 batteries. We also have 2 Yamaha 2000is that can be run in tandem. As for the Air Con I grew up in Southern California for 34 years without Air Con so I usually can handle not running it. NOT always!

Ultimately, I would like to be able to boondock for up to 14 days with a 'just add water' policy. We may also have to make an occasional dump run. Since we use less than 5 gallons of water per day as a family (including dish washing) and with a 'pee in the woods' kind of attitude we can go far!...Just kidding on the woods thing
Old 01-29-2013, 12:53 PM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Sounds like your ready to have some real fun. We went all LED over a year ago and love it. Also Michael and Kat stand behind their products if you encounter any issues.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:41 PM   #8
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
We have changed over about half of our lights to Michael & Kats LED's so far and they are just GREAT! Can't wait to get the rest changed over.
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:29 AM   #9
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
You won't be sorry. We are almost done replacing all of our lights with LED from Michael and Kat. We are also 90% running on solar. We are long timers and made it home for about 3 weeks in the last year. The batteries don't even realise a light is on with LEDs. Goofed up and left the kitchen lights on one night, 4 921's and the battery voltage dropped 2/10 of a volt by morning. Most likely would have been dead with regular incandescents or at the very least very, very low voltage.

BTW, thanks for the reminder. I just ordered 6 more 921's. Almost done.
Alwims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:09 PM   #10
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
You will love them. We replaced all but 4-6 and plan on getting them soon. Mike and Kat were great. JP
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:27 PM   #11
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
I am so tickled that everyone is singing Michael & Kat's praises! I can't wait to get them in! We were going to do it in phases but I finally convinced my husband I would have a harder time keeping track of how many we still had to do. It is going to be a chunk of change up front but well worth it! We are going from 43 921s at 18watts per bulb (774 watts if we were to turn them all on) to 111.8 watts (2.6watts per each LED)!!! That is only 6 921 bulbs!!! WOW!

I also think it is incredibly generous of them to give all MOC members a 20% discount! I have learned so much from them and they are helping everyone out!
Old 01-30-2013, 02:00 PM   #12
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Carol, it's not just here on the MOC. We ordered our LEDs for our SOB from Michael and Kat as have a few others on the SOB forum I'm a member of and everybody loves them, but there is one member that is trying to sell their LEDs, saying they hate them, but won't say why. My guess is they ordered from E-Bay at a couple of bucks per light and got exactly what they paid for c--p. When the price it too good to be true, it probably is. Your Hubby, being an Electrical Engineer will appreciate the high quality of the LEDs from Michael and Kat.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:23 PM   #13
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
How do I get ahold of Michael and Kat. I have some question on the LED's
randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:15 PM   #14
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
www.filamentfree.com or Michael's MOC name is snfexpress

Hope that helps!
Old 02-10-2013, 05:29 AM   #15
Lije Baley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3890
We're very happy with our LEDs also. They're brighter than the incandescent bulbs they replaced. For the living area of the unit, we have one LED in many of the fixtures rather than two. The reduced number still fully illuminates the interior.
Lije Baley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:18 AM   #16
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
We have to join in on the "happy club" here and say we love our LEDs that we bought from Michael & Kat. A great product.

As for getting a hold of them, you can use the email provided on the http://www.filamentfree.com website or do as I did and give a call to the phone number (it's his cell) they have listed on the website. When I called, Michael was lounging on the beach in Florida! *LOL
D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote