Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2010, 01:29 AM   #1
Wild Horse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10026
Window covering mod

On our maiden voyage it got down to 30 at night...not bad, but I noticed that the area around the windows gets quite cold and the day/nite shades don't offer much. Being as we will be in some colder weather this winter, I figured to address this issue. So I sent Judi to the fabric store, and had her pick up 11 yards of fleece in a nice color. I'm going to put up velcro strips on the inside of the existing valances and opposing strips on fleece panels, and in colder weather will be hanging these fleece panels over the windows. I know we'll be having to take them down once or twice a day due to condensation, or at least opening them up a bit but I think this will help alot. Sitting on the couch with a cold draft on your neck is not very comfortable. I think we can also use some of these panels in the summer, on any windows where the sun beats in.

Anyone else done something like this?
Bill

Wild Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:25 AM   #2
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Sounds like a great idea Bill, looks like you and your wife have some work ahead on this project.
I have also noticed the DRAFT comming from all my windows, my therory is the window frame is the culprit for all the cold, window frames being made of aluminm it transfers all the cold right through the outside frame to the inside, we have a bunch of cooling coils through out our trailers, Keystone should look into the newer plastic window frames to help eleminate this issue.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:40 AM   #3
Wild Horse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10026
Yep, for the most part the frame is the culprit conducting that cold right into the rig..frame was actually 8 degrees colder than the glass.

I think this fleece will be great...don't have to hem it, washes up quick and easy, and the price is right. Fleece for all the windows came to 60 bucks. So this whole project will be less than 80 bucks.
Bill

Old 05-13-2010, 09:31 AM   #4
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
Please post a pic when you get done. Everyone always enjoys learning new techniques to keep out the cold/heat. Glad your maiden voyage was a good one. We are still taking care of problems that arise in our 2010. Just a nature of the beast.
Dick and Sharon
footloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 04:54 AM   #5
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
We're very interested in this. I wonder if your fleece idea will actually stop the condensation, since the damp air can't get to the glass to deposit water there. There are also kits of transparent plastic that you cut to fit over the window frame, then tighten in place with a blow-dryer.
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 03:57 PM   #6
stimpy123
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8267
Send a message via Yahoo to stimpy123
Kathy and Dave,
In our previous SOB, we were able to remove the curtains and hang the plastic over the windows on the inside and use the blow drier to tighten the plastic. Anyone have an idea how to remove the day/night shades and curtains to adapt this process to our '09 3605RL. Although I don't believe that this model is different than the 3400 I would accept any suggestions about the plastic sheeting install. I do think that the fleece would help to stop the heat transfer, just thought the plastic made a big difference in my SOB. Now having said that, the fleece process described in another post, seems to be a lot more flexible because of the velcro, but it would also block the light and vision out the window(s). Thanks in advance.
Steve
stimpy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:16 PM   #7
Wiesehan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9711
Send a message via Yahoo to Wiesehan
We are in the process of fitting lined drapes in our rig. We had unlined in the 2008 and they did a pretty good job and I am hoping these will do even better. Putting up rods is kind of a challenge, but I think we will be done in a couple of days if it doesn't get to cold or I don't decide to start some other project.

Don
Wheel to wheel SS side bars
Wiesehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 01:03 AM   #8
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wiesehan

We are in the process of fitting lined drapes in our rig.
Pics please when finished?
footloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 01:51 PM   #9
Wild Horse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10026
Actually, I've changed from the initial design of putting up the fleece with velcro. I've hung double rods, and hemmed slots in the velcro...I can easily open them up for additional light to the interior. Pics up in a few weeks when I hang them for the winter.
Bill
Old 11-20-2010, 08:07 AM   #10
Wiesehan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9711
Send a message via Yahoo to Wiesehan
When I started with the curtain rods I ran into a problem, so we modified to cup hooks. We are still using the lined curtains and can either tie them back or double them back onto themselves.
Wheel to wheel SS side bars
Wiesehan is offline   Reply With Quote