Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2008, 02:11 PM   #1
muddflapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7533
Hanging Things on the Wall

My wife wants to hang a few things on the wall of the Monty. What has everyone used to hang a picture with or a calender? Are our walls even made to support any weight with a screw or nail?

muddflapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 02:15 PM   #2
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
We usually screw any "heavy" pictures to the wall. Right through the picture frame. Anything that's real light, just a small nail. Never lost anything going down the road.
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 02:22 PM   #3
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
The 3M hangers work well:

Velcro works well,

And to permanently mount our picture frames, I used drywall screws:

BTW, the picture frames are quite nice - http://www.dynamicframes.com

snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 02:34 PM   #4
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
We use 3M Command Hooks for everything. They work great and never leave marks. We also use Industrial Strength Velcro. They have it at Campers World and at Joanne Fabrics. We never use screws or nails as we will eventually sell or trade this rig and if there are no holes to patch then all the better. There are many styles of Command hooks and also double sided tape made by 3M. There is also stuff called Earth Quake Clay very sticky. Many ways to mount stuff without having to drill or nail... Dave and Betsy
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 07:45 PM   #5
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Exnavydiver

We use 3M Command Hooks for everything. They work great and never leave marks. We also use Industrial Strength Velcro. They have it at Campers World and at Joanne Fabrics. We never use screws or nails as we will eventually sell or trade this rig and if there are no holes to patch then all the better. There are many styles of Command hooks and also double sided tape made by 3M. There is also stuff called Earth Quake Clay very sticky. Many ways to mount stuff without having to drill or nail... Dave and Betsy
Dave,when the time comes to sell how do you remove the sticky Velcro.
Won't it leave some kinda mark or tear paper off the wall?
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 01:10 AM   #6
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Jack, actually it is pretty easy to take the velcro off the wall. You just start on one side of it and start rolling it in one direction. Once it starts coming up keep at it till it is about half rolled up and that gives you a good handle to pull it the rest of the way off. The command brand also has some velcro hangers that come off the same way that the hooks do. We use a lot of the industrial velcro for holding stuff to shelves such as nick nacks, three ham radios, a dvd player, two DTV receivers, and a multitude of other goodies and we didn't have any problems rolling the velcro off the shelves. If you are mounting pictures to the wall I would use the command velcro pieces. The box comes with about two dozen pieces, that should about a 20 lb picture if you use them all. The most we ever used was 6 and that was for a 2 lb picture in our SOB and it held for a year till we sold it... Dave and Betsy P.S. for mounting a calender we used one of the Command hooks with the metal rod hanger at the top and a small velcro one at the bottom to stop the sway when we were on the road.
Old 02-02-2008, 02:19 AM   #7
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Different rules may apply to the wood colored paper on cabinets. We won't even put the 3M command stuff on the fake wood.

We have done all of the above suggestions tho on the wall boards, all work quite well.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 02:41 PM   #8
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
We used them on the walls of our SOB (jayco) and that was some cheap contact paper. The only one we had trouble with was the one I hung some pretty heavy jackets on and it bubbled the paper. We still got the hook sticky off without tearing anything though. We used 15 of those hooks in the old rig and only had that one problem, we are using 10 of them in the Big Sky... Dave and Betsy
Old 02-03-2008, 04:24 PM   #9
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
If you want to hang something on the heavy side you might take a look at the outside of the coach on a frosty morning. You can see where every aluminum stud and brace is and then just measure from a window and you can hit a metal stud.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:31 AM   #10
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
We use the "Industrial Strength" velcro from Walmart. Very versatile and we use it for almost everything. No problem taking it back off the walls.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 03:35 AM   #11
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
We've used the 3M products and never had a problem removing it from the walls. I have read that if you use a hair dryer or something similar to heat the sticky material it will release. (that's hearsay, not experience). I would imagine any residue would come off with Goo Gone.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 06:25 AM   #12
osofine
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7471
Send a message via AIM to osofine
ve the pictures over the living dining area. Not sure about the holes though. But with the pattern of the walls, if you silicone the holes when you go to sell it - the white of the silicone should blend in with the marble and not be noticable. DH is good with screws and silicone - so I think I'll go out frame shopping. Thanks for the idea. I did use 2 strips of industrial velcro for some plaques that I put up. They are very stable on the road. They are wine bottles with grapes so they go with the units wallpaper. I would probably leave them with the unit if we ever get a new one.
osofine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 06:26 AM   #13
osofine
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7471
Send a message via AIM to osofine
ve the pictures over the living dining area. Not sure about the holes though. But with the pattern of the walls, if you silicone the holes when you go to sell it - the white of the silicone should blend in with the marble and not be noticable. DH is good with screws and silicone - so I think I'll go out frame shopping. Thanks for the idea. I did use 2 strips of industrial velcro for some plaques that I put up. They are very stable on the road. They are wine bottles with grapes so they go with the units wallpaper. I would probably leave them with the unit if we ever get a new one.
osofine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 10:38 AM   #14
Texas5er
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7143
How do you get the industrial velcro to stay on? The temperature fluctuation and humidity on the side of the cabinets have not worked for me. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? I put industrial velcro on a plastic thermometer (top and bottom) on the side cabinet and found it on the floor when we stopped for the evening. The cabinet velcro did not stick. Need to go to the 3m product it guess. Thx.
Texas5er is offline   Reply With Quote