Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2008, 03:31 PM   #1
zechinova
Established Member

M.O.C. #8008
Shackle Sharing

Planning to buy a 2002 Montana in a couple months for full timing for at least one year (not yet retired just taking a break). New to it all so the jargon is above me (I'm a girl!). Everyone is sharing about their shackle problem and kits and repairs they've done. Even after seeing some pics I'm not sure I know what a shackle is. Is this something that can be checked and repaired by any RV dealer? It sounds like you have to know how to use tools to own an RV. If they need to be repaired how much will this set me back?

zechinova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 03:44 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Zechinova,

Good luck with buying the 2002 Montana.

A shackle is a device that helps connect the axle and wheels to the frame of the trailer. The shackles also flex and help dissipate bouncing from rough roads. They are a vital part of making your RV mobile.

The cost of replacing them should be about $150.00 and probably about the same for labor. We replaced them ourselves so saved the labor costs. Others here have had them replaced and can give you a better $$$$ estimate.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 03:22 AM   #3
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Moravia,
Don't worry about not knowing how to use tools. As you use your Montana, and things loosen up, you will learn on the road. There will be many happy campers that will come to your assistance. All you have to do is watch what they do to fix the problem and if it happens again, you will know how to fix it. Some of it will come easy and some you will have to take to a dealer to fix. Again, many campers will help you decide, and help you fix your problem if it can be fixed on the spot.

Welcome abord the MOC forum. You will gather a lot of useful information from this forum.

Good luck.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 05:07 AM   #4
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
We had a shackle break when our unit was less than a month old. I think the problem was caused because it was never fully tightened at the plant. We towed over 2000 miles last year and never had another problem with them, but I do check them before each trip and do a visual at each stop when traveling. I just had the rig in for warrantee work and had them checked…no problems found. I would not worry too much about them, but with a 2002 unit I would defiantly have them checked before I made the purchase. If they are bad or showing signs of wearing I would have the owner replace them with the Dexter Wet-bolt kit which is an upgrade to the original equipment parts.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 03:39 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
To address your other question... yes, any rv dealer can check the shackles. However, this is not something most do often and you'll want to tell them why you want them checked. Tell them you want them to loosen the shackle bolts to check the bushing and to look for any elongation in the holes in the shackles. Here are a couple of pictures to show what to look for.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote