Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2007, 06:13 PM   #1
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Inverter Question

I am having an inverter installed by CW on 21 Jun, when I get to the US. Should this be a stand alone unit that you have to plug into, or something that is hardwired so all plugs and ac appliances use it when no AC?

Help is appreciated......

Phil

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 01:20 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Phil, it just depends on the size of the inverter, the number and size of batteries, the loads you will be using, and how much money you are budgeting for this addition. Many are using a single direct wired plug in, that is a dedicated power cord for a single load. One member just opens the laundry chute and plugs in the power cord.
I have a 3,000 watt inverter with only two golf cart batteries, (I can add two more later if we decide to Boondock) I use a transfer switch that powers up my entire panel. When doing this, you have to turn off any breaker that you do not wish to use, but it gives the option to power any circuit that will be needed, and your batteries will handle.
Remember to shut off the converter breaker when using the inverter if you go this route.
Good luck.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 03:50 AM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
As Ozz says, it depends on how many loads you're going to have. In our case, we have a 2000-watt inverter hard-wired into the rig. When we disconnect from shore power the rig automatically changes over to inverter power. When we operate on inverter power, we put the hot water heater and refrigerator on propane. But all the rest of the appliances can be used on inverter. All except the AC. The AC draws too much current for my inverter to handle.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 04:52 AM   #4
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
Ozz,
How hard is the installation of an automatic transfer switch? We have a 1500 watt inverter, and have been using the "extension cord through the laundry chute" method, but an automatic switch sure would be nice.
Bob
bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 07:35 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
The transfer switch is not hard, just wiring in cramped spaces, here's a picture of mine along with the voltage plug in meter, converter 3 stage addition; solid state control, and the electrical spike protection for the Monte.
I disconnected the main power wire, ran it through the switch; (2-3 pole contactors) then tied in the inverter/generator feed.
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...1/042a55c9.jpg
Ozz
Old 06-16-2007, 04:11 PM   #6
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
Ozz, that's a nice clean-looking job. I assume one of the two wires going into the bottom of the relay switch is the main power cord (from shore power) and the other is a combined line from your inverter and generator. Can the generator and inverter lines be tied together, or are they run through another relay switch before reaching this point?
I think I could do this if I could find and identify the main power line. Any hints?
Bob
Old 06-17-2007, 01:46 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
My inverter and generator line is tied together, I have 2 switches that isolate the inverter in case I want to use a generator, one Perko battery switch and an on off switch for the inverter.
I just disconnected the main power cord at the breaker box, they had enough slack for me to bring it down into the bottom of the transfer switch. Bob, I don't know how your breaker box is set up, mine is above the W/D closet.
Ozz
Old 06-17-2007, 02:24 AM   #8
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
Thanks Ozz. When I get back home, I think I'll poke around the breaker box and see if I can figure out how it works.
Bob