Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2007, 05:11 AM   #1
1pollyanna

M.O.C. #6340
Converter Problems

We have a 2006 3295 RK Montana. The converter has failed. Indication was the 12 volt lights becoming very dim. Information problem with the new Montana gives no information or tech data about the converter or its location. I am retired electrician and could trouble shoot the problem without having to drive 150 miles for the dealer to do so. Can anyone problem me with information on this problem. We are full-time RVers.

Morris Wharton

1pollyanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 05:26 PM   #2
jsrang
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1726
Morris, We have a 3650RK. My converter failed from a faulty CG hook-up at the post. Mine was located behind the fuse block, located just to the right of the door entrance. Just unscrew the cover plate, pull it off and there is the converter sitting on the floor (between main door entrance and the basement in an enclosed space.) It was replaced with a higher capacity one, either 55 (or 60 amp?). With the extended warranty, mine was replaced via service call by the RV Doctor. Hope this helps.

Jim
jsrang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 05:46 PM   #3
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
on the 3000RK the converter is located in a void that runs from under the steps all the way out to the curb side wall. The converter, water pump, and furnace are all located in this void. Easiest access is by removing the access panel in the basement (look for two little black clips near the area under the steps.

Bill
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 06:10 AM   #4
jimc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #380
We have the same 5ver, and our converter also failed (I think about 4 months after we got the rig). Called the manufacturer of the converters (Iota) since it was still under warranty, and they shipped me a new one. I then sent the old one back in the box, prepaid.
The converter is located on the ceiling above the laundry center closet. Go into the bathroom to access it by unscrewing both the DC and AC panels and pulling them out to get to the converter. Disconnect the batteries and unhook from shorepower first. Then unscrew the converter and the wiring and pull it out. Replace with the new converter. A little tight in there, but not too difficult.
If you are out of warranty, I would still call Iota.
While you are into the panels, check every screw for the wiring to the breakers and fuse panel to make sure they are tight. I found about 6 loose screws.
jimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 07:28 AM   #5
nkwist
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #821
You might just try replacing the automotive style 30 amp fuse first. It's the top one in the face of the converter. You must loosen a #1 phillips screw to release the prongs, then tighten it again when the new fuse is in.
nkwist is offline   Reply With Quote