Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2012, 07:22 AM   #1
TYR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9976
Are These China Bombs?

[/img]

The two dark streaks are where I wet my fingers and traced/marked the indentations. There is a bulge between the two marks and elsewhere on the sidewall of the tire. There are also bulges elsewhere on the same tire, all on the sidewall. We have the same situation on three out of the four tires.

Please note that we have been essentially static since February 2011, with one trip to Lancaster in June for the Montana regional rally. Yes, we keep the tires aired up and covered and not sitting directly on the blacktop parking lot.

Just from reading my description and seeing the photo, are these indeed issues with the belts, i.e. "China bombs"? They are the originals.

We are looking to replace them, irregardless. Consensus as to make, ply, size, etc. for a 2010 Monty would also be appreciated; something with a decent track record.

This is one of the reasons we did not evacuate during Hurricane Sandy this week but went to a local hotel.

TYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:58 AM   #2
Ren
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10954
Seeing that you took a pic of the DOT code, I took the leisure of googling it. It does come back as a good year Marathon.

I originally replaced mine with BFG Commercial TA's, but they were recalled, and I now have the Michelin XPS ribs. They are pretty pricy, but that is probably what I will stick with. From what I understand, they are pretty dang good tires. They do have the same weight rating of 3042 lbs, but they weigh 55 pounds each instead of the BFG's 45 and the Good Year Marathons 35. So Im willing to bet the XPS's have a huge reserve capacity.

Laters,
Ren

Old 11-01-2012, 08:26 AM   #3
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Those indentations are normal and nothing to worry about, just where plies overlap. Now the brand tire you have, that's another story, many members have had Missions fail
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:21 AM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I had the same bulges on my OEM Missions. Although they were really showing no other signs that they might fail after 5,000 miles, I did replace them with Michelin XPS Ribs just because of numerous reports of blowouts.
I had a friend (recently passed away) who put around 10,000 miles in 3 years on his Missions with no problems. Replaced them with Marathons due to concerns about the Missions and had a blowout on a Marathon within a year. Go figure.
Actually he told the dealer he wanted USA made tires and the dealer installed Marathons. He did not know any better until I looked at the sidewall and saw "Made in China". Either the dealer assumed being Goodyear they were USA or he was a shady dealer.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:15 AM   #5
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
8.1al is correct, the indentations are normal. All tires have them, some are just more pronounced than others.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:38 PM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
X3 on that being normal. Since I had Marathons as original equipment I took them to a Goodyear dealer as they became more pronounced as the tire heated up. They said they were fine, but I replaced them with G614's.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 02:55 PM   #7
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
As stated, normal
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:33 AM   #8
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Another term I've heard for these is "dimples" (maybe that's a California thing) and are normal.

What you need to be concerned about are any bulges and separations at the side walls. This is a common indicator right before a major blowout so hopefully you examine your tires often and when this starts to show itself, then BE WARNED! Worst of all, tire rot is a big problem because the rot typically starts inside the tire and you can't see it, then KAPOW - this has happened to me twice.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:27 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
And if you're still not sure, be aware that LonnieB is a tire dealer who is very highly respected by many of us and is known to us as honest as the day is long. His word is good enough for me.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:48 AM   #10
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Quote:
quote:And if you're still not sure, be aware that LonnieB is a tire dealer who is very highly respected by many of us and is known to us as honest as the day is long. His word is good enough for me.
Yup...
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:03 PM   #11
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
can we call them 'May Pops" China Bombs are scarry
Old 11-29-2012, 08:46 AM   #12
fauch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11342
I think that the alignment of risks are stacked against you:
load range and speed rating on this tire leave very little 'reserve' safety factor
A Higher speed rated truck tire with same load rating adds a significant safety factor

fauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:16 AM   #13
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by fauch

load range and speed rating on this tire leave very little 'reserve' safety factor
A Higher speed rated truck tire with same load rating adds a significant safety factor
Good luck in finding those. An "E" rated trailer tire has a much higher load capacity than an "E" rated truck tire.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:36 PM   #14
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Interesting....
Look at my signature and you'll see what I replaced my O.E.M. marabombs with at 300 miles. My new tires had no such bulges. I even went so far as to take my new 2010 3150RL to the Goodyear tire store and was also told the bulges were "normal".
NONE of my car tires exhibited this bulge. Maybe I was lucky?
I don't doubt Lonnie. He sees way more tires than I do. It's just a curiosity.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by LonnieB

8.1al is correct, the indentations are normal. All tires have them, some are just more pronounced than others.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:36 AM   #15
fauch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11342
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.

Quote:

Good luck in finding those. An "E" rated trailer tire has a much higher load capacity than an "E" rated truck tire.
Its about "Service Rating", which is a speed at load rating.
and with the right rim diameter, you can get E rated tires that have up to 3750 lb. rating at 112 mph. Or 3042 lb load rating at 99mph.

Trailer tires cannot withstand the centrifugal force. How many of us stay under 65? and how many haulers that run from Indiana to your dealer stay under 65... 70...even 80+mph? THIS is why there are so many blow-outs and coming-from-together of RV tires. There was a recent discussion on here about Firestone Transforce HT tires. These are light truck tires that are E rated (3042 lbs) at 99 mph. This is a heavier-stronger side-walled tire, than an ST tire.
Haulers molest your minimally rated-low-cost tires on the way to your dealer. I think that even if the hauler did not experience a blowout, some stressing to the sidewall belts has been done.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:42 AM   #16
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.

Quote:

Its about "Service Rating", which is a speed at load rating.
and with the right rim diameter, you can get E rated tires that have up to 3750 lb. rating at 112 mph. Or 3042 lb load rating at 99mph.

Trailer tires cannot withstand the centrifugal force. How many of us stay under 65? and how many haulers that run from Indiana to your dealer stay under 65... 70...even 80+mph? THIS is why there are so many blow-outs and coming-from-together of RV tires. There was a recent discussion on here about Firestone Transforce HT tires. These are light truck tires that are E rated (3042 lbs) at 99 mph. This is a heavier-stronger side-walled tire, than an ST tire.
Haulers molest your minimally rated-low-cost tires on the way to your dealer. I think that even if the hauler did not experience a blowout, some stressing to the sidewall belts has been done.

Perhaps - if you move up to a 19" rim, but then you have to find a rim and tire combo that will fit. Spending $2 to $3K on tires and rims is something I will pass on. I am aware of NO "E" rated tire in our size that is rated at more than 3,043lbs other than ST tires. If you know of some, please post them so we'll all know!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:50 AM   #17
fauch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11342
Once again, its the speed at load rating that I keep harping on.
These are the tires I have on the wheels that came on my Montana: Firestone Transforce HT LT235/85R16 106mph at 3042 lb..I'll take this over an ST 65mph trailer tire.
LT tires have greater strength for sustained speed at load.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/BigPic...=yes&tab=Specs
Old 12-31-2012, 10:45 AM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Trailer Trash 2

can we call them 'May Pops" China Bombs are scarry
Don, if you're going for accuracy you'd have to call them "probably will pops" rather than "may pops."
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote