Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > The Campsite
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2011, 03:29 AM   #1
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
Those that have camped on Cape Cod MA

For all of you who have visted and camped on Cape Cod what is the best campground for traveling to Marta's Vineyard and the Cape Cod Bike Trail? We have never been there and research is showing Upper, Middle, Low Cape Cod. Common sense is telling me to stay in the middle and travel both ways up and down. Not sure how long of a travel that would be in time to the end which is Providence. We usually like to stay where we want to visit then move on up or down and re-set up. But within 30 min that does not make sense. It mentions a bridge connecting the Cape and having traffic build up for hours. (That does not sound like fun) Is there an actual campground on the cape that you can avoid the bridge traffic or just the way it is. I looked at 2 campgrounds "Bay View" in Bourne (has good reviews mostly but does mention bridge traffic to get to the cape) and Cape Cod Resort (very pricey $100.00 a night) but if it is already over the bridge may be well worth it for the frustration for a few nights and then move elsewhere to visit other places. And are there other campgrounds in the same area not so pricey, clean and nice?

There seems to be a lot in the area besides the vineyard that we would like to investigate. Your information would be appreciated to help us get a visual of what our needs are and what is available there.

Thanks
Bill & Cindy

cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 09:08 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
We've been to Cape Cod but not with a rig. Here's what info I can provide:

Cape Cod is separated from Massachusetts by a Canal the literally cuts it away from the mainland and turns the area into a large island. The rest of Cape Cod goes way to the East and on up the "hook" of the peninsula that then circles around to the north. There are only two highways into Cape Cod over this canal. I imagine that on weekends or holidays and popular travel hours of the day they can be pretty packed, but we never ran into this, but we also visited during the week.

The Bay View Campground is very close to the canal on the western end of the Canal, and there are numerous bike paths around the area especially the Canal Bike Paths on either side of the canal. While we didn't do that either we saw cyclists all over the place. There are also a lot of campgrounds in the area, but I have no personal experiences of the camping in the area.

We used the area of Falmouth Heights to cross over to Martha's Vineyard and spent the whole day there and that was not enough time. We ran into Michael J. Fox and his very young kids while they had just finished bike riding and I was asking a stranger for some directions and lo and behold, you know who we asked - my wife, thinking fast, was able to get a picture of me and Mr. Fox since we knew no one would believe it - I was there and still can't believe it, but apparently there are quite a few celebrities around the area who live there in the summer months or longer.

To get to Nantucket, I'd use the ferry at Hyannis on the Cape Cod. We didn't do this because we ran out of time. We also didn't get to the tip of Cape Cod to the east because of time reasons and since we were approaching the weekend, we wanted out of there. The incoming traffic was getting real heavy but we were leaving, hence going the opposite direction and had no traffic problems.

I hope you can spend way more time than we did. We missed so much of it and there's lots to see and going slow means you can enjoy it. We were blindsided by its size (it's a big place and a few days is definitely recommended) and didn't plan enough time there!

If you'd like I can PM or email a list of other campgrounds and their current prices from my Trailer Life Maps and Directory. I'm sure not everything would be listed but would cover most of the RV accomodating Campgrounds. I find that if the word "Resort" is part of the name, they are pricey, but there are some that are about half that, and even lower priced but more primitive.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 10:29 AM   #3
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
Thanks very helpful! We have been search the net and Trailer Life. It seems a lot of older campgrounds that do not have the larger sites for our Montana's. And the bigger sites are pricey. Still searching. I think we are going to try to go for a longer period of time after reading your reply. It makes sense to see as much as you can when you are there with the price of gas. Thanks a bunch. Your post helped a lot.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:34 AM   #4
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
Hey Bill and Cindy - years ago we camped at Peters Pond Park which is now Peters Pond RV Resort on the cape. It is located on Quaker Meeting House Road in Sandwich. From there, we drove and toured the entire cape. Now that was a few years ago!! Don't know how busy it is today. We stayed in July.

As Art and Marge stated, the cape is, I guess you can say, an island separated from the mainland by a canal. There are two bridges to gain access to the cape, one north and one south.

Good luck in your search. See ya in June.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:50 PM   #5
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
So basically you do have to go over the bridge to get there. It seems a lot like Sanabel Island FL, and Jekyel Island (one way over one way out)but they do have 1 campground on the islands after you get there. I am going to look up the Peter's Pond Park on the net. How far time wise was it from the Cape. Obviously the closer to the cape the higher the price. Did you have your Montana when you went a few years ago?
Old 10-01-2011, 01:37 PM   #6
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
Sent you a PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:53 AM   #7
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
We stayed at Atlantic Oaks in Eastham, MA on the Cape in September--after Labor day. The bike trail is nearby. This park is closer to Providencetown than Martha's Vineyard. We enjoyed the close drive to the beaches. The park is nice--sandy sites but that helped drain the rain that we got in September.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote