Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-19-2019, 05:44 PM   #1
hosssmith
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14197
True Confessions of a slow learner- RV Style

Okay, I have determined that it is time for a confession. I blew up a black tank. There now I should feel better right? Nope, I don't.

I was flushing the tank in the RV Barn when along came a distraction and I forgot about the water being on and when the tank filled up it popped the top. I didn't go looking for the tank but took it to the dealer instead. He said I had a bad connection (after keeping the RV for a week) and I took it home.

Talk about smell ... whew ... don't even try to imagine that one especially in the summer time ... in Texas ... in a campground. I super dosed the tank with Calgon (take me away) and solved the smell issue but not the cause. I just didn't get it. We left on a trip and all was well until I went three nights on the way home without dumping the tank. Stuff leaked out ... on the road when I turned around. Wife saw stuff ... on the ground and even Calgon could not take that away.

Got home anyway and took RV to the dealer again. This time he admitted the tank top had parted from the tank. No problem - they would change it out which cost a lot of money. Again. The first trip when they didn't fix the problem was not cheap either. I left the RV with him in the late Fall and he had to Winterize it account of freezing weather (yes Texas can get cold sometimes - briefly). That was the first time I ever had an RV winterized since I started RVing in the early seventies so I didn't like paying for that or getting everything back in service afterwards.

All was now well. Good tight tank, no smell, happy wife. Life was good. Briefly.

We use the RV two nights or so per week so the dumping and flushing never ends. It is a weekly or biweekly thing during cooler weather. I was flushing when the cell rang and I was absorbed into a business call when POP and the water hit the floor.

Did I mention I was a slow learner?

The dealer didn't get a very big chance at me this time although after doing a diligent search for a replacement tank I did order it thru him account he had the best price. We changed this tank in the barn after a very thorough wash (twice) in the wash bay and then cleaning up the wash bay.

I now set the alarm in the phone for 4 minuets to remind me to open the drain valve BEFORE the tank can possibly fill up and so far all has worked well. Trust me to screw it up ... twice but hopefully never more...

I know that I am supposed to have the drain open before flushing but it seems to work better if there is a volume of water in the tank before the valve is opened.

I'm sorry this narrative was so long but if it reminds you to not do what I did then my job here is done.
hosssmith is offline   Reply With Quote