Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2004, 05:22 AM   #1
Montana_2360

M.O.C. #2360
"Pro Package"

We are in the process of purchasing a new 2004 Montana 2980RL (after 13 years in a 27 foot Prowler Regale). The dealer is offering a "Pro Package" that includes a special hand applied finish that protects the exterior of the RV with a five year guarantee along with a treatment of the carpets and upholstery to prevent staining. This also comes with a five year guarantee by the manufacturer that if you cannot remove the stain they will replace the stained article. Has anybody any experience with these products? It sounds almost too good to be true.

Montana_2360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 05:30 AM   #2
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
Send a message via Yahoo to DiananColin
We have had this package done by a Company called CLADIATOR in Canada. So far we have been very impressed with the work done by this Company. The finish they put on the outside of the 5er makes cleaning it really easy. Any black marks some off with a duster.
DiananColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 05:30 AM   #3
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
Sounds a little like "Snake Oil" to me. I find it a little hard to believe that any product can withstand 5 yrs of weather and uv rays. The interior treatment is a little more plausable.
How pricey is it? Do they do it to vehicles also. I would pay a good buck not to have to wax my truck for 5 yrs. Does the treatment have to be reapplied to maintain the warranty? I know that many rust protection packages require annual inspections and sometimes touch-ups at the owners expense.

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 05:59 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Gotta agree with John on this one. I am skeptical and therefore definitely interested in additional info and how much?
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 06:44 AM   #5
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
We had the Cladiator treatment on our first TT, not on our second and regretted it and have had it done on the 5er and would definitely recommend it. The cost was approx $1000 Cdn. Remember we have a lot of salt on our roads in the winter and also in our storage area so undercoating on our truck and 5er was not an option to us but a necessity in our minds. The treatment on the outside walls of the coach makes the cleaning very much easier. Of course when you travel with grandchildren having the inside scotch guarded makes a lot of sense.
Old 11-12-2004, 07:02 AM   #6
vickster
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1165
When we purchased our 2980 earlier this year, we opted not to purchase any of these "protective" products.

We went to Wall-mart, purchased a couple cans of scotch guard and protected the interior fabrics ourselves. Worked great and very cost effective.
vickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 07:59 AM   #7
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
We have done the same thing as Vickster. We scotch guarded and protected the interior fabrics overselves.

Sounds like Snake Oil to me too. I need more inormation and proof before I am convinced it works.

Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 08:03 AM   #8
Montana_2360

M.O.C. #2360
Thanks Much for the advice. Each tratment cost $600.00. It sounds like some have had sucess with the exterior treatment which sounds plausable. The interior treatment causes me some concern. I have asked for a copy of the guarantee before having it applied.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:10 AM   #9
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
You say "each treatment", how many are needed and how often? Is it something that has to be renewed every year? 6 months? There's a local guy that will wax my trailer for $100. I could have it done every other month for that.

John
Old 11-12-2004, 09:33 AM   #10
Montana_2360

M.O.C. #2360
A little further research on "Pro Package". The products are manufactured and guarateed (the warrenty is on their web page) by Siskin Enterprises Inc. of Salt Lake City and are marketed as "Perma-Plate". The exterior is a clear teflon and is guarateed for five years against any loss of color or shine. You do not have to wax and it and it is much easyer to clean.
The interior is Fiberguard with the same guarantee. The dealer actually holds the guarantee of the product and takes care of warranty issues which makes me a little more comfortable then having to go after some company in Salt Lake City.
Old 11-12-2004, 10:20 AM   #11
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
Check how long dealer has been handling product, any warranty problems or other things. If they have bad blood now (or in future) is the warranty transferrable to another dealer? What do You do if they stop handling the product?

John
Old 11-12-2004, 10:36 AM   #12
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
JCulver- What we have is the same as you quoted only in Canada the Company doing it is CLADIATOR. We had a small problem with ours after it was done, what had happened was some of the rust proofer had got onto the bottom of the slide and it went onto the carpet. When we got back home, we took the 5er into our Dealer to have it winterized and the owner of the franchise for CLADIATOR came out, cleaned the carpet then gave us a written guarantee (in front of the owner of the Dealership) stating that when we took the 5er in to the Dealer in April he would clean the outside, windows etc plus the inside including fridge and any empty cupboards for free. He was very upset that this could have happened. He has been doing this work for our Dealership for quite a few years. He also does the work for other major Dealerships in Ontario.
Old 11-12-2004, 11:43 AM   #13
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
I agree, sounds like a scam to me. I don't believe in any of these after market plans. for that price I could replace my carpet when it gets worn! the money is well spent in a gell coat instead.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 12:00 PM   #14
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Ever webt to car dealer and told for cost of 500-600 dollars thaey will put on protective coasting on fabric adn exterior or they add it to the price up front. Toyota call it Toyguard, nothing more than a teflon wax, and scotch guard on fabric. All which can be purchased at Walmart for less than $20.00. Few hours of your time later you have the same results as Calditor or any "pro package" nothing more than marketing scheme. If you thing it's worth the $1,000.00 than by all means go for it, cannot not see it myself. But if you want to price it to NC I will be glad to do for you half price. Read the warranty close I bet it tells you to clean exterior regular basis with approved car wash, which adds wax to it when you wash it which keeps the teflon guiard loking good.Car dealers mae up to 50% of there profit no a days on marketing schemes such as these. Have no doubt that RV dealers do the same, my does not.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote