Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2010, 09:06 AM   #1
2-in-the-woods
Established Member

M.O.C. #5739
Replacing tires

I'm having a hard time deciding what tires to replace my Mission 235/80/r16 with. I have read most forums about tires and want to know if most of the tires I see mentioned such as Goodrich t/a's, michelin xps ribs, goodyear wrangler ht, bridgestone duravis, firestone transforce h/t, hankook f19, g614s. ENOUGH?? Are these made in the good old USA. Seems most all trailer tires are made in China. Please help me make a good decision. Also is it ok to go to a 235/85 series? Thanks for any help. John

2-in-the-woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:45 AM   #2
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
Actually these are light truck tires except for the G614s. They are made in the USA and you can go to 235/85 with no problem. I have Firestone Transforce h/t and have been satisified with them. Saying that I think all of the above will work depending on what you want to pay for the tires. I went with Firestone because they were available at the dealer when I had a blowout and a bubble on my China made tires.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:14 AM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I changed my Missions to the Michelin XPS 235/85R16E. Slightly larger, but no problem.
Michelins are a little pricy, but I have always had very good luck with them on my cars and trucks.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:46 AM   #4
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
I just changed to the Goodyear G614s 235/85 R16s. They appear to be a really tough duty tire and made in the USA. The Goodyear Marathons (Made in China) that I pulled off had 2500 miles on them and on the rim weighed 55Lbs. The G614s on the rim weighed 80.5Lbs. 25.5Lbs of more beef. The Marathon's side walls were pretty thin compared to the G614s. I did notice a lot of sidewall bulge with the Marathons.
We are pulling out on Tuesday for Alaska. I will post back on my Alaska 2010 Blog as how they do.
The GY 614s took more weight to balance them than what I thought was normal. I guess it might make sense because they have a lot of rubber and are regroovable.
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:21 AM   #5
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Joe & Lucy: Every time I see a post mentioning a lot of weight being used when balancing I have to interject --- were the tires hub or lug-centric balanced. If steel wheels then I strongly believe that they are probably balanced hub centric and the hub is a little off center. When the center portion is stamped, the center hub hole might not have been exactly centered; hence you have an oblong (egg-shaped) rotation. The tire/wheel combination will take a lot more weight to balance. Lug-centric puts the center actually on the way the wheel will ride on the coach and should take less weight. If time allows, you might have one or several of them checked again.

Regardless, since they were off the coach, be sure to check the torque on your wheels often during your first couple of hundred miles (seems I remember guidance being at 25, 50 then 100, 150, 200 miles) and then each fuel / rest stop. Lug nuts have been known to work themselves loose over time.

Have a great and safe trip to and around Alaska. Keep us all posted!!!
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 12:00 PM   #6
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Skypilot that is a good point. They are the China made Aluminum wheels. I requested a lug centric balance. They did not have the adapter for that option. The shop did give me a pretty good price on the tires, valve stems and balancing. I live in a small town and we do not have all the choices for shops here that would be available in a larger town. So I figured I would run the new tires for awhile and then get them lug centric balanced someplace down the road.
Joe
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote