Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-05-2015, 12:49 PM   #1
HelloFreedom.us
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14122
Liquid Propane line leaking when 2nd hose detached

Liquid Propane line leaking - Hey fellow Montanans… Our Monty was equipped with a separate 3rd hose we could connect to our passenger side propane tank that goes up into the cap to connect perfectly with a Mr. Buddy space heater.

Our issue is that the hose we detached from the LP tank, even though the A/B switch on the other side is not switched to that tank anymore, that the Propane from the driver side tank is coming out of the other hose that is unhooked.

I feel like I am missing something, like not knowing there was a Galley Tank valve between the wheels. (Ha! C’mon, I’m not the only one on that one.)

The obvious answer would be to put some tape over it, I guess, but I feel like there is a correct answer to this, or are my lines faulty?

HelloFreedom.us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 01:14 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
What you have is not the factory set up, at least I've never seen one like that. It's something that has been added by a previous owner. I'm by no means an LP expert, but what you are saying doesn't make sense to me. If propane is coming out of that unconnected connector than it's failed and needs to be replaced. If you think you have it turned off and propane is coming out then the connector is bad and you have a bad valve or don't understand what the other guy did. With the system on our rig if I flip the switch from one tank to the other it can still draw from the non-selected tank. This keeps me from running out in the middle of the night and freezing. What allows me to take the empty tank to get is filled is the connector seals the system when it's removed from the tank. You should soon get help from someone who's an expert on this and can correct me if I misspoke on something.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 04:11 PM   #3
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Brett and Cheri--- Take your unit to a local propane company and have them look at the set up you have. Make sure it is a company that has maintenance personal that know what they are doing when it comes to propane lines OR take it to your dealer or a dealer that might have someone that knows what they are doing when it comes to the propane lines.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 04:13 PM   #4
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
There are really only two ways that the propane can come out of hose "A" when the Auto Changeover regulator is in the position of the opposite tank.
1) The Regulator is not working properly, since it is an older Marshall model and may have reached it's serviceable lifespan, that is entirely possible.

2) The hose normally connected to "A" has been changed and now does not have the built in valve to prevent gas from back feeding from the regulator that now sees the disconnected hose as an empty bottle - or - the built in valve in the hose is not closing properly anymore.

You could try disconnecting hose "A" from the regulator and see if gas does come from the regulator at that connection. If it does then it is most likely the regulator has gone west.

Does the regulator automatically switch to the full tank when one goes empty or do you have to manually switch it.

A solution would be to put a propane valve between the regulator and hose "A" for when you disconnect that tank to hook to your heater. This would allow you to close off any escaping gas on that tanks hose.

Regulator or hose, one or the other or perhaps both.

Edited, had my A's and B's confused....

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote