Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2008, 06:19 AM   #1
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
big fire in nailbenders neighborhos

I don't know if any of you know but there is a BIG FIRE in Nailbenders neighborhood and every one is being evacuated.

The fire the "Humbolt" fire has burned over 2000 acres and every one from the bottow of Paradise has been evacuated.

Hopefully the winds will stop today and Nailbenders home and Tana will be spared.

Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 07:27 AM   #2
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
Our prayers are with him and his family. Maybe they got to evacuate "With" the Tana.
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 08:01 AM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
YIKES!!

I hope he got that NEW unit out!

I personally know at least 2 MOC members who are dealing with the flooding in Iowa and one that is dealing with the storm damage here in Michigan.

This is a horrible weather year, my bended knees are sore.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 11:43 AM   #4
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
We had to leave Paradise yesterday along with about 10,000 other people. Paradise has 4 roads into and out of Paradise, and only 1 was open, the others were closed due to fires. It took over 2 hours to travel 20 miles to Oroville, traffic was very heavy. We camped at a HomeDepot parking lot last night along with our daughter, son, and their families. They both have RV's and there was also 2 other RV's camping there. We are now at a KOA and will be here until we can return home. Our homes were still safe this morning, but since then another 4,000 people have been ordered to evacuate. This is the largest fire presently burning in CA., 20,500 ac. so far. We wanted to go camping, but this is not what we had in mind.

Does anybody know how to inflate the air bed without 120 v power. We have a bicycle pump, but should we have some type of adapter to attach it to the large fill hole at the foot of the bed?
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 01:52 PM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Cannot help with the bed

Will help with prayers and good thoughts that you are safe, and your house does not suffer any damage.

Good luck to all your family.
Old 06-13-2008, 03:31 PM   #6
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
good luck on the outcome of this last ordeal as you guys don't need any more problems ,, and then no air in the mattress tooo ,, after this maybe we can discuss the unit you bought as i am looking at it but 1 set specs say 38'4" the other says 37'4" how long is it as the drive in fl fits the 35" now but don't add 3'4" , the garabage truck will hit the cone on the front as i am now 6" from the over hang and have about 2' to the blk top rd edge ,, sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 04:38 PM   #7
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Don, a generator is your best bet on that air bed. Not sure if you can get an adapter. It's mostly designed for letting the air out I think.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 05:02 PM   #8
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I just got an e-mail from RPHOWARD (Ray & Pam) and they are still at their house in Paradise. The fire crews came by at 2:00 PM to say a mandatory evacuation has not been ordered for their area (on the edge of town, west of the Skyway - very close to the fire) but they should be ready. He asked about the Montana and their intentions (take it or leave it). Ray said they were taking it. The fire guys said to take it then as when the madatory evacuation order comes they won't be able to get it out.

Pam's mom lives with them but she has been temporarily relocated to the evacuation center. They hope to bring her home for the night if the winds die down after dark.

Hopefully the fire crews will get some control tonight and the temperature/winds go down tomorrow.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 05:52 PM   #9
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
It doesn’t sound much like “Paradise” with all of that fire raging around the area. It also sounds like you didn’t wait too long to get your Monty out. I hope everything turns out well for your family and everyone close to the fires and you guys are able to return back home soon!
Old 06-13-2008, 05:56 PM   #10
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
A co-worker's husband is a fire captain and he has been sent to battle the fire there at Paradise. He called and told her late last night that the fire was "kicking their butts". They hoped to get the upper hand today. Her 20 year old son is a firefighter also and working for CDF (California Department of Forestry). He is off fighting a fire in another California location.

There is also a rash of fires next to roadways around the Sacramento Valley. It seems a bit suspicious.

We'll keep everyone affected by the fires in our thoughts & prayers.

To inflate an airbed without 120 v power>>>> go inside Home Depot and ask them for help. I bet they can and would do it in a heartbeat once they know you have been evacuated.
D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 06:57 PM   #11
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
I'm praying for y'all and the many others affected.
Tammy
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 11:05 AM   #12
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
We are back home now. We spent two nights in the Monty and are very thankful we had it and that our house is undamaged. Close to 30,000 acres have burned, and over 65 homes have been destroyed. It has been a difficult fire to control as we have many steep canyons and rough terrain. The winds we had for several days didn't help either. The worst is over for Paradise, but the fire is still burning in a canyon and headed for another community above Paradise. Firefighters are working hard to get a handle on it.

We stayed at a campground last night and were able to inflate the air bed and had to add air to the bed twice during the night. Will have try to figure where it is leaking, but will probably get it replaced as it only 3 months old.
Old 06-14-2008, 11:07 AM   #13
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
We are glad to hear you are home and safe and house ok, that is good news!

Good thoughts still coming for all those who are in harms way.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:14 PM   #14
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
Thanks Carol.
We want to go camping all the time, but when we have a mandate to leave our home, all we want is to return to it. Seems somewhat odd.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:37 PM   #15
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
We would gladly send you some of our rain from Wisconsin. There was a sign in our factory the other day - water, water everywhere and not a drop to drink. It seems like it is feast or famine. Best of luck with the fire. We are under another storm watch here in Wisconsin.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 12:38 PM   #16
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Don, when we used our inflatable bed the first time it also leaked but I found the leak was on the big cap at the foot of the bed, it was not screwed on all the way and the gasket was folded. I straightened the gasket and screwed the cap on tight and haven't had another leak.. Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 02:09 PM   #17
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
Dave, I took the cap off Thursday night when we didn't have 120v trying to find a way to fill the bed. Last night I checked the cap for tightness before airing the bed up, but didn't notice or check the gasket. I will check that tomorrow, thanks.
Old 06-14-2008, 02:13 PM   #18
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Don, after checking Dave's suggestion, if you still have a problem, I would call Keystone direct (yes, I know they say to go through your dealership) and ask them to ship a new air mattress overnight. Can't hurt. Sometimes, when dealing directly with Keystone/Montana customer service I have been absolutely amazed at how accommodating they can be.

You need something and you need it now.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 03:49 PM   #19
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Don,
Hopefully you will not ever have to evacuate again. If you do, and you don't have a generator, think about throwing a gas powered air blower in the basement. The fitting can be placed over the bottom relief valve of the air bed and it can be inflated. You will have to be quick to close the valve, but you will not loose much air. The fumes from the gas blower will air out with the fantastic turned on.

Just a thought.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 04:21 AM   #20
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
There are foot pumps with a variety of adapters that can be used with air mattresses...BUT they take forever to fill up. Just a thought, but maybe having a small uninterruptable power supply (UPS) on board (like we use for our computer and television set ups) which would allow enough power to fill up the mattress. Also might want to invest in one of those inverter "thingys" that plug into the power outlets in the TV that would allow you to plug in the power inflater that way. (You might have to string an extension cord between the TV and the inflator but you wouldn't have to worry about generators or gas fumes. (Ingenious idea there Wayne! Hey, can you reverse the vacuum cleaner and do the same thing?)

Robin
eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote