Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-19-2007, 01:57 PM   #1
RCMP03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7063
2006 Dodge Wiring Problems

Hello,

We have been going round and round between Montana and Dodge dealer regarding our tow wiring.

We began with the trailer brakes locking up each time the right blinker was activated. The Montana dealer discovered they wired it wrong when they installed our plug (can't figure why it worked fine several trips prior). Didn't question it as it was working just fine.

When hooking up a few weeks ago we discovered the right trailer blinker and brake light was not working. Montana dealer thought it was a loose wire nut and called it fixed. Wrong...still a problem.

After 3 hours of going over it with a fine tooth comb, it is blamed on the truck. So off to the Dodge dealer we go! Dodge dealer reprograms the computer chip that controls the tow wiring. Took it home, tested and still no right tail light. So back to the Dodge dealer we go!

After several more hours and a call to the Dodge manufacturer it is decided that it is the "tippin" (spelling?), a computer chip and expensive that controls the wiring. They went on to say that if there is a voltage problem, it will give you five hook ups before frying, which is what they say happened to us. Hmmmm...we have had it hooked up more then 5 times!

We get a new tippin put in tomorrow (under warranty thank God) and Dodge said that Montana must install a relay (we assume the trailer) or it will happen again. Not sure how to get to the Montana dealer without blowing one of our "5 tries"! We feel like a cat but with less lives!

Has anyone had any dealings with Dodge 2006 and blowing the computer circuit to the trailer lights? Did you have to have a relay installed and what exactly did it involve and where does it go?

We were told by Dodge that Ford and Chev will have the same system in the next year or two. What happened to good old fashion fuses? Will we ever be able to just enjoy our Monty without having to deal with all this frustration!

Thanks everyone in advance!
Sue & Harv

RCMP03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 02:04 PM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Ahhhh, technology...a step backward.
Good luck with your problem.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 02:13 PM   #3
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
OK What is a tippin? That a new one.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 02:34 PM   #4
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
Let me ask a few questions. Did your Dodge come with a factory 7 way plug? At our dealership we have a test box that plugs into the TV and checks the wiring. We also have a test box to plug into the trailer to test the RV. Wiring on the Dodge vehicles is sensitive to external wiring. If we put a plug in the bed of the TV we don't connect the wiring with wire connectors There are after market from Draw-tite, Reese and others that plug into factory connectors that alleviate wiring problems. The brakes activating certainly seems to indicate a cross or bad ground somewhere. Did the dealership plug your trailer in to another TV? Did they plug another 5W into your TV? Typically, we don't have wiring problems. Hope I can help. Kerry
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 03:17 PM   #5
RCMP03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7063
Yes, the Dodge came with a 7 way at the bumper, but the trailer dealer installed another 7 way in the bed of the truck (supposedly totally separate). The brake problem apparently was a cross wire situation that was supposedly resolved (at least the brake problem went away).

I do not know what you mean by a test box. We have a voltage meter that we use to check for correct voltage and indeed, the right turn signal in the 7 way on the TV bed is VERY low in comparison to the others that have no problem.

No, they did not hook the truck up to another trailer or visa versa....this is something I wished they had done. For kicks they hooked the left turn wire to the right turn and it worked and then put it back the way it supposed to be.

As for the question regarding the tippin....I think it is some sort of module that controls the voltage going back to the trailer (in the good old days it used to be called a fuse).

Urrrrrrggggg, we are not mechanically inclined when it comes to these things and totally at the mercy of those working on the vehicles. I have no faith in them, especially the trailer dealer.

Thanks for your input,wished there was a magic wand to wave!

Old 09-19-2007, 03:30 PM   #6
RCMP03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7063
Ok...I'm an idiot it is not called a tippin it is a TIPM.
Old 09-19-2007, 03:53 PM   #7
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
I would have the dealer isolate the wiring they did from the factory wiring. Then plug your 5W into the factory 7W plug at the bumper, check to see if the problem is clear or still there. If your dealer used wire connectors to install the bed plug, don't let them rewire it using them. If isolating their pigtail doesn't fix the problem, check to see if they have damaged any of the factory wiring. If they damaged any of the wiring, they could be responsible for any TV fix from Dodge. If isolating their wiring DOES clear the problem, use a wiring harness like I mentioned before. If they are not familiar with it, I will get you the part #. Dodge clearly states not to cut int any wiring or use wire connectors, after market harnesses insert at factory connectors, with the same type of connectors. Kerry
Old 09-19-2007, 06:03 PM   #8
RCMP03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7063
We are learning a lot regarding the TIPM (Total Integrated Power Module) in the 06 Dodge trucks. A very poor design on Dodge's part. It basically eliminates fuses and the only way to reset is to have the dealer reprogram. The clincher is you can only do it 5 times and will have to replace the entire TIPM at the tune of $600. Dodge blames the problem on faulty trailer wiring and therefore denies coverage. The truth of the matter is, the truck is made to pull a trailer! Shouldn't it do it without all these problems?

We get a new TIPM tomorrow and will have the dealer perform a flash to update the software and increase from 15 to 17.5 amps. In theory this should solve the problem, but Dodge is recommending a "relay" be installed to ensure it will not happen again. At this point, I'm not sure who should do this (Dodge or Trailer dealer) and I'm not sure if the relay goes on the trailer or the truck!

I have read another forum thread which suggests installing in-line fuses or fuse boxes, but fear that if there is a faulty wire it would be popping fuses left and right. But still better then the expensive TIPM!

The bottom line is, we have a new truck and trailer and have to worry about this TIPM going out! We could be driving in the middle of the night and our lights could go out.

Kerry, anything you can suggest that we can tell the dealer will be helpful. We appreciate your input.

Thanks
Old 09-20-2007, 09:30 AM   #9
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
Thanks for the info Kerry. What is their idea in using something like that? It just dose not make any sense.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 03:44 PM   #10
RCMP03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7063
Update...

Dodge dealer installed a new TIPM and "flashed" it to increase the AMPS to 17.5 today and now the trailer lights work fine.

Contrary to what they told us yesterday, they said we won't need to do anything further as they have not seen anyone having the problem after the TIPM is flashed (reprogrammed).

I contacted the trailer dealer and he was VERY familiar with the problem and recommends we install the relay. We are not going to take any chances, so we will be taking it to the trailer dealer for a relay as well as soldering the connections. I'll be darned if I am going to be in the middle on nowhere in the middle of the night and lights go out!

We are very gun shy wondering if and when this thing is going to give out again! Isn't modern technology wonderful?

If any of you wish to read up on the subject, I recommend the following forum thread: http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/d...=tsb+08-021-06

I know it's not our beloved MOC, but it helped us to understand the problem. Have fun reading! Oh, if we all complain loud enough to Dodge, maybe they will correct this poorly designed system.

Happy RV'ing!
Old 02-18-2008, 11:53 AM   #11
Tiffensdad
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7660
RCMP03
I noticed your post and as I have a 2006 Dodge, wondered what you found out about this. I have only hooked up to my monty 4 times so far. Number five coming up. I have not heard of this problem and have not experienced any problems so far. Will be intrested in what you have found out...
Tiffensdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 12:09 PM   #12
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
sounds like so much gobbledegook crap to me, that the truck and trailer to a good hitch dealer and have it checked out, most RV dealers are that RV, they do hitches but are far from experts and I don't trust any dealer be it Dodge, Ford or Chevy. Here in Houston that is a place called Hitch Master and that is all they do, a place like that could give you an answer.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 12:15 PM   #13
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I may be way off base here, but I had an issue with trailer lights not working, I spent 4 hours tracking down wiring in the trailer, turned out there were trailer light fuses in the fuse block of my; (Excursion at the time)
So, it would be a simple duty to check the fuses dedicated to trailer lighting.
Hope this helps, without seeing the problem, this is my only suggestion.
Good luck.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 12:52 PM   #14
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
I would start with the fuses in the TV 1st also. I had a similar problem with my TT when I changed TV to my new 06 Dodge. The RV dealer initally couldn't get the trailer lights working but ultimately solved the problem but I don't remember how. The first thing they checked was the fuse and it was ok. Sorry I don't recall the fix, but they were at it for sometime.

I just checked the fuse box and there is a 30a fuse for the trailer tow and a 20a for the trailer lights. Fuse box is in front of the battery, drivers side, hinged at the top. The tabs release from the bottom of the box to swing open.
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 02:26 AM   #15
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
You have my sincere sympathies. In the 1980's I picked up a trailer in Carson City, CA (LA Area) to tow back to Texas. Picked it up on a Sunday from a warehouse. They had given me the combination and I was alone. I was making my turns to get on the freeway and when I put the blinker on it was a rude awakening. Have you ever used hand signals on the freeways of LA? I fixed the wiring problem as soon as I got out of "Dodge." The trailer was wired incorrectly. I'm not sure about all your computer stuff, but there definitely is or was a wiring problem.

As Jim stated, take it to a reputable "Hitch" place, or even a reputable Doge dealer.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 05:03 AM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Sue and Harv, I have never heard of anything like what those dealers are telling you. Sounds like a load to me. We have the 2007 Dodge which is nearly identical to yours other than the engine and some trim and have never had any electrical problems at all. And I guarantee you we've hitched this thing up to this Dodge more than five times. This Dodge has towed this Montana over 9,000 miles.

Somewhere there is a short in the wiring where the wires are rubbing metal or there's some other wiring problem.

You should be able to google "bargman" (I think that's the right spelling) and find a wiring diagram. You could then use a volt meter to check the plug on the Dodge to see that each pin has power when it is supposed to, like with right blinker on.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 05:13 AM   #17
Amps
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3430
I have an 06 RAM and never had a problem. Check all your wiring and pay much attention to your grounding wires. Good luck.
Amps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 01:45 PM   #18
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
DODGE IS EXPLICIT about cutting into wiring harnesses to add wiring. Alot of questions here. Did your truck have factory wiring with a 7-way Bargman plug? There is a lot of stuff on the diesel forums on this subject, TDR etc. The "tippin" is an expensive repair, at lesat you got yours under warranty. At our dealership, we don't use wire connectors on the new trucks. Their are after market wiring harnesses that plug in to do wiring jobs, using these we haven't had any problems. Kerry