Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2006, 10:29 AM   #1
TOM F
Established Member

M.O.C. #5959
To cover or not, one mor time!!!!

I have read many posts on this topic and still wonder what to do. My previous RV was a class A with a fiber glass roof that I covered for three years with no problems. I have read the stories about covers wearing through rubbber roofs and chaffing sides. But was this do to poor cover fit and installation or are the rubber roofs that fragile?

TOM F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 11:18 AM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
no experience, cause we do NOT cover anything! did once many years ago on our first TT, wind tore it off (we really thought we had it tied down good to). We picked up the remnants, tossed in the trash and never looked back.

How long is this rubber roof warrantied for???

Covers do tend to keep a lot of moisture in, creating mold and other problems, don't want that in our Tana.

Besides if it is uncovered you can always go out there and sit and pretend camp if you are northern bound in the winter! HAHA

We do not feel it is necessary, so we just don't do it.

We each have our own comfort zones, you have to do what ya gotta do!!

Cheers and enjoy that rig

(Thanks Glenn)

Al & Carol Stevens Tipton, Mi.
Retired - Traveling with 4 Yorkies
2004 3295RK
2003 GMC 3500 Allison/8.1
PullRite 15.5K Super 5th
Line-X
JackRabbit tonneau cover
Bilstein shocks
Isolator Pin Box

Our Camping Rig History
Montana Improvements and Travel Reports
Recipe for the RVing Life

Our take on RV ownership, "Ya better be handy with your hands and handy with your cash."

Every day spent on earth is a blessing, every day spent in our Montana is a day blessed twice.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 12:09 PM   #3
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
The roofs must be fairly tough, they have a 12 warranty with a five year warranty for the labor..."against premature deterioration to the point of failure because of weathering if properly maintained."

Last week we just contracted for covered storage.

Bert and Betty
Fort Smith, AR
2007 Silverado Classic 3500, DRW, D/A, CC
2007 Montana 3400RL
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 12:15 PM   #4
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Just heard mostly bad things so I choose not to cover. As many full timers will tell you theirs are never covered and they do just fine. No cover for me, just a good wax in Fall and Spring.

mac

1999 Silverado LS Extended Cab, Prodigy Brake Controller
2006 2955RL
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 02:02 PM   #5
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Trailer Life has an item in the September issue, RV action line, regarding one man's bad experience with RV covers - worth the read. Let me know if you don't have access to Trailer Life magazine and I'll try to post the info here or e-mail.

Virgil and Karen
2000 3255RL
2006 F350 PSD 4x4
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 04:19 PM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have seen the damage that a cover can do to a coach. My suggestion is to find indoor storage for your coach when it is not in use. Will help keep you coach clean and looking newer longer.

2004 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD CrewCab Duramax
2004 Montana 3400RL
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 01:57 AM   #7
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
I always seem to be on the other side of the fence? If you want to cover your Montana and protect it from the sun, etc. I would say it's OK if done correctly and with the proper cover. I previously covered a sunnybrook TT with a tarp and when I uncovered it in the spring I had rub damage on the outside of the trailer....lesson learned you need to get a custom or semi custom cover that will fit your rig.

I purchased a custom cover for my previous 3670 and used it for two winters with no damage. After trading the 3670 for my 3400 I was still able to use it to cover the 3400 and used it one winter. Neither trailer had any damage or problem. This cover has a zip door access that matches up with the Montana's door, has sewn in tie down straps, custom fit for the nose of the Montana with a lace up fastening system and additional grommets on the bottom to use additional tie downs. The wind blows and the cover does not move/flap/etc.

With that said, these covers are expensive and heavy to carry up to the top of the rig. but they do work. If I had to do it all over I would probably build a pad with a roof to park the Montana under.

Now that we are going west and/or south for the winters I have not used my cover for the past year. I probably will get around to sell it some day or start using it again when we are home in the spring /summer.

Steve & Betty (AKA steves)
2005 3400RL Montana
2006 F350 PSD SRW CC LB 4X4 King Ranch
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 01:57 AM   #8
tcorbitt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5799
I guess I'll jump in on the side of cover, YES... well, actually, it depends...
(1) We are not full time and live in the North East where the Montana is stored outside during the winter.. meaning it gets covered with white stuff.
(2) Our past TT, we always covered...it looked new after 7 years before trading for the Monty this spring.
(3) Our cover was customer made... it fit perfectly and did not blow around in the wind.

So, for the new Monty, we will ether purchase a customer fit cover or leave in uncovered. I would agree, a on-size-fits-all cover will do more damage than good. The most significant down side to the custom cover is the price. I have been quoted $1,200-1,600 for a new one for the Monty... ouch!

Tim

06 F350 4wd PSD Crew
06 Mountianeer 34PHT
tcorbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 07:45 AM   #9
Army Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5508
As I stay in mine full time, I don't cover. I've only heard bad things and agree that a good cleaning of the roof and a good waxing will protect it.

Rick & Jana with our
4 legged kids, Domino & Puck
2006 Montana 3400RL
2006 Ford F350, CC, 6.0 PSD, 2WD, DRW
Army Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 03:29 PM   #10
bpierce
Established Member

M.O.C. #5835
I personnaly feel that protecting such an investment is a high priority. I do agree that the majority of owners will never encounter a situation that might damage their rig, but for me it is a risk I don't want to take. I built a parking shed for my 344RET and am well pleased with it. You can see it if you search for a thread titled 'How do you store yours?' Several other members posted pictures of their arrangements as well. Another incentive for building a structure (if you have the room) is that when done right, your property value should increase!
bpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 06:59 PM   #11
2007dura
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2313
Have used a cover for 2 years, year round, no problems. Rig is as clean when I take it off as when I put it on. I asked service techs. and advisor about covers, and all said they had not encountered any problems by covers designed for RV's. They had seen damage from blue tarps that had been used.
2007dura is offline   Reply With Quote