Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2005, 04:54 PM   #1
Montana_1197
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1197
peeling decals

Unfortunately I have no place to store my Monty except outside. And I haven't saved enough nickels for a cover. So after a few years in the Texas sun the decals on the nose and sunny side are starting to curl a little. Also I did wax every inch of her a couple of years ago and have wondered if the wax may have hurt the decals. So I'm wondering, is it best to just leave them be or try to remove the curled part? And for those that have to left her out in the weather (the trailer...not the wife) what kind of stuff do you use on the outside?

Montana_1197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 02:54 PM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Since there have been no replies in three days maybe nobody else is having this problem. Our Montana is three years old and has never been under wrap or indoors and the decals are not curling. I've used automotive wax and RV wax and wash it using zipwax and haven't had this problem. Sorry I'm not any help on this one.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 05:59 PM   #3
Ed Benson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1027
My '04 Mountaineer has to reside outside as well in our Idaho weather - all 4 seasons with gusto!! We have owned this rig since the fall of '03.

I don't notice any curling of the decals, but I do notice some small seperation cracks appearing in the middle of the decal. Seems to be common on all sides too.

I have read on other threads that a dab of clear laquer on these points will seal them and stop further deterioration. Any other fix would be appreciated.
Ed Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 06:17 AM   #4
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
We use a 3M Marine polish/wax and wash with zip wax added to the water. Have had minor peeling on some edges. Someone suggested applying a small amount of caulk/silicone to the decal edge to hold in place. It works for us....not sure about the cracking of decals.
Good luck!
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 08:21 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Weldon, does the silicone caulk attract dirt like the silicone caulk on the seams around the Montana?

We don't have any curling or problems on the edges but we do have quite a few dings in the nose decal from all those bugs, a few birds, and probably some rocks. I can't really see a fix for this other than to replace the decals.
Old 07-24-2005, 12:40 PM   #6
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Steve,
No the caulk does not collect dust. I tried to put it on the bottom side of the decal...it works as if it were a adhesive. May have put some on top where the affected area was very small, still no dust accumulation.
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 06:48 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Duh==>me, Weldon. I don't know why I was thinking you'd be putting it alongside the decals. Maybe since caulk usually is done along an edge. Thanks for the tactful reply.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:30 AM   #8
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Our front decal has curled so badly that Bob is taking the "clouds" off. Of course it is leaving a shadow, but maybe buffing will take care of that. He tried to slice of the curled part with a razor, but it left it very messy looking. I'm going to call Montana customer service to inquire about a replacement decal. Anyone else had to do this?
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 11:45 AM   #9
Montana_3539
Established Member

M.O.C. #3539
Some friends of ours had a peeling problem with their decals on their Big Sky, the dealer they went to about it told them of a wax compound available that will prevent peeling and cracking of decals, don't remember what they said it was called, anyone got any ideas? They claim he said that Camping World stocks it.
Montana_3539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 04:02 AM   #10
Gary Swenson
Established Member

M.O.C. #1799
Don and Janey, I also have significant curling up around the edges on the decals on the front cap. I will also be interested in hearing about any solution that comes up. Thanks for posting the question. Gary
Gary Swenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 04:36 AM   #11
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
My TT stays out side in the direct Florida sun 365 days a year 24x7. No peeling yet. With our old TV and TT I learned a costly lesson. Some waxes and polishes state in very fine print that they are not to be used on decals or pin striping. Well guess what, I never read that fine print and there is a reason they put that fine print on the bottle. Within days of waxing my old TV the pin striping began to peel up. Not knowing any better a week later I washed and waxed the old TT and sure enough the decals began to peel too. I did this several more times until my oldest son was home on leave from the Navy and said “Hey dad do you know you are not suppose to use this stuff on pin stripes or decals?” Of course I disagreed with him, until he read me the fine print on the bottle. So, make sure you know what you are putting on your coach and vehicle. Many of the newer speed waxes and polishes are petroleum based which interacts with decals and pin striping and can left them right off the surface you are trying to make look nice. Now when waxing or polishing I avoid the decals and on the new TV I do not have pin striping so I can wax or polish the whole thing with no worries.

God Bless America
Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 03:23 AM   #12
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
Mine is a 2001 and the decals were peeling bad, I put up with the rough edges for a year or so and then I pressure washed the rest off. I hate how it looks but if I replace it right now itll be messed up again before we can retire. Ill wait another couple years then replace it. Thought about having it painted on now that the other is off.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 07:15 AM   #13
Montana_4519

M.O.C. #4519
I guess the question yet to be answered is really "just what do we do about the peeling decals"? Do we leave them alone and have an ugly rig or .....? If we decide to remove them, what is the best way and can we get new ones from Keystone for our 2002? The newer models have different decals. If we work hard, remove the old decals and replace them with new ones, how long will they last? Do we really need to purchase a cover to keep them from peeling or is there a sealant that we can apply to protect them (since most waxes aren't good for the decals)? Guess I am grasping for any logical solution here.
Montana_4519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 08:33 AM   #14
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
kknill,
I had a few peeling decals and just used a dab of superglue. I will probably get slammed for that, but seems to have worked for me. I also put the Aerospace 303 (pretty sure that is what it is, will double check this week when I get back to the coach) on the decals. They claim it will keep the decals from cracking and fading. I have a good friend who does air brushing for a boat shop. He is going to give me a price this winter to take off each decal and paint them back on, should look great for a long time after that.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 02:06 PM   #15
Montana_4519

M.O.C. #4519
I have heard about the superglue thing. Any chance it will damage the finish? The peeling and cracking I am experiencing is pretty significant....might take a few tubes of the stuff to work! Thanks for the comeback.
Old 09-05-2005, 02:44 PM   #16
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
So far I have not noticed any effects from using the superglue on the decals. I did that last summer and hit a few spots this spring, so far so good. You might want to double check with your dealership to see what they say.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 08:09 AM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kknill

I guess the question yet to be answered is really "just what do we do about the peeling decals"? Do we leave them alone and have an ugly rig or .....? If we decide to remove them, what is the best way and can we get new ones from Keystone for our 2002? The newer models have different decals. If we work hard, remove the old decals and replace them with new ones, how long will they last? Do we really need to purchase a cover to keep them from peeling or is there a sealant that we can apply to protect them (since most waxes aren't good for the decals)? Guess I am grasping for any logical solution here.
Good questions. You can order the decals through a Montana dealer. I'm not sure if you can still get the ones from 2001 or not. I would think applying the decals smoothly and straight would be a bit difficult.

We don't really have any peeling but do have a few nicks here and there. Part of that was from rocks and/or bugs and part was from my scrubbing off the bugs with tools that are hard on the edges of the decals.

I'm also looking for answers to the rest of the questions.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:30 AM   #18
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Well, Bob buffed and waxed the front of the rig, especially where he removed the "clouds", and it looks really nice. Don't miss the clouds at all, but he says if the others come off we will just get the front painted. No more decals.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 11:48 AM   #19
Montana_4519

M.O.C. #4519
Had a good thing happen...sent an email to Montana and was told they would send me replacement decals. I know...the removal and installation might be the next great challenge!
Old 10-01-2005, 09:12 AM   #20
Montana_4697

M.O.C. #4697
I also have a 2001 Montana that sits in the South Texas weather 24/7 and my decals are peeling severely. Dealer suggested an area Graphic Arts place could build replacement decals. (Expensive). Would be interested in how to prevent peeling, short of having them painted on or building large shelter which would only protect when home. If large shelter is answer then why buy an RV to stay home?! Ain't no fish at home!!
Montana_4697 is offline   Reply With Quote