Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2010, 03:09 PM   #1
Jim-n-Kathy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7917
Porta-bote Mounting -need help

Hello folks,
Well as usual; due to my busy work life I only seem to come visit ya'll when I am in need of information. I hope the old time clock changes all that soon...
Anyway, after years of research we finally acquired a Porta-bote. Now instead of camping at the edge of a pristine and glistening lake and watching nearly every other RV'er on the water-we will be leaving land too. Only prob; [and here's the question]; I am ready to install the mounting brackets to the Monty's exterior and even though I am a pretty good construction dude-I am wondering how I can pinpoint the wall studs accurately the first time. The material is took thick for a stud finder to read correctly. And I am not that enthusiastic about removing interior panels. So, got any ideas.
My wife knows that when doing drywall I ocassionally miss a stud, but if I pulled that trial and error on the Monty I might just as well plan on tent camping!
Thanks,
Jim and Kathy in Folsom, CA

Jim-n-Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 03:25 PM   #2
iowaone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8421
Often in the morning dew you can see the outline of the framework. But I know that is sometimes hard to come by if you are in Folsom. We lived in Citrus Heights for a few years.
iowaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 03:29 PM   #3
JD5150

M.O.C. #10485
I have the 14 foot Porta-Bote. I was thinking about mounting mine to the under side/frame of the Monty, instead of the side so I won't have to worry about leaks and maintenance around the bracket area that will hold the boat. Porta-Botes are very tough if I did kick up a rock I don't think it will hurt it. I have had it rub on rocks all night where I left it tied up and about 6 feet pulled up on land just a little ways from my camp and it did nothing to it.
JD5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 03:46 PM   #4
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
I am planning on purchasing a porta bote next spring. I have been following discussions on the forum for several years, and have collected 5 pictures (jpg) and one Microsoft Word document which includes other information and pictures.
These show how others have mounted structures under their Montanas for carrying porta botes.
I would be glad to email to you if you are interested. Just let me know.
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 03:56 PM   #5
Jim-n-Kathy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7917
Thanks for the info. Re; mounting under the Monty.
I was aware of that option, but I opted out because I realized that if it was mounted under the rear it may be restrictive because so many times we find a spot that we back into or nearly up against a barrier or curb or trees, etc. Then I thought about mounting under the front section, but I just didn't like the idea of always requiring my tow vehicle be unhooked to pull the boat out.
And lastly, anything mounted under the trailer must be or should be in a totally closed container [drawer or such]. Otherwise the stored device will encounter all the bad weather and all the road oils and rubber and whatever else debris skims under our vehicles.
So it will be the exterior mounting for me. I am not worried about leaks since a small bit of sealer around the thru bolts will do the job [think about all the perforations in our roof that is sealed].
Anyway still looking for stud finding ideas.
An regarding the Porta-bote the thing only has one problem according to our deep research; That being the boat usually outlives its owner!
Thanks for your help.

Jim
Jim-n-Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 04:43 PM   #6
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
I do know that Wayne has a fold boat (new, never used) with motor, all 2 years old and never seen the water. He had it set for under the rig, had a special padded bag made for the boat. His is for sale, and he has pictyures of his installation. It was a neat setup. He will either be along or you could message him.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 05:39 PM   #7
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Jim-- You don't mention what unit you have and how many slides it has. It might help if we knew that so advise can be given.
Have you thought about a TV mounted rack? There was a post about a year ago or so that mounted their boat over the top of the cab from the front of the TV. It was a solid boat but I'm sure it would work for the Porte-bote also. Do a search on the Search Engine WHEN IT COMES BACK and see what you find. Maybe the member will check in here also and show you pictures and etc. also. Best of luck on getting it set up and lst us know what you come up with.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 01:19 AM   #8
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
OK JimF, Now you have me interested.Wayne (WHO?) What size boat? Engine? How much? My wife just reminded me that BOAT really means "Break Out Another Thousand" but I am still interested.
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 02:47 AM   #9
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
Jim and Kathy -

Hopefully Bill and Cindy Daniels will spot this post. Bill made a frame for his folding boat that fits under the front part of the Monte. It is a real slick deal. It is more like a cage that the folded boat slides into from between the front landing legs. Hope he also has pictures.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:44 PM   #10
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Carl and Susan made a rack for under their Montana to hold the portaboat also, you might want to email him a message to see how he did it.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 04:39 AM   #11
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Member Name is Waynem MOC 7673, he had his mounted under an 07, 3400RL. If your interested in his boat, motor etc you can message him or me, I'll call him and have him call you. His boat is a 14' and the motor is a 9HP. Really nice unit. I'm suprised he hasn't checked in on this.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 04:20 PM   #12
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
Hi, Bill with the porta boat. I did make a cage for under the 5th wheel. Fold the boat up and slide it in. No cover etc. It looks as good as the day I bought it. 12 ft. In fact I store it under there 24-7 and it goes everytime the Montana goes out if I plan on using it or not. I am very pleased with it. We also have friends who transport Kayaks and they use a frame on the thier truck. That is also another option as someone earlier mentioned. If you want pics I will be glad to email. PM me. It will work great whatever you decide.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 06:20 PM   #13
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Alright, I'm here. Just been busy touring and doing nothing. It is difficult being retired. Doing nothing is very hard work, you never know when you are finished.

$2200 for both and it is a 5 HP Nissan 4 stroke, and that includes the $350 cover for the boat. I had a special cover made by a sail maker and it fits like a glove, almost. It is a very tough vinyl, lined with a soft liner.

I looked for the pictures, but I can't find them for the mounts. It was Carl that had the original design for mounting under the front of the Monty. As for unhooking the TV to remove the boat, well, to thoughts. It could go in at an angle so it could be removed from the side, or, I just don't think that if I'm going to stay hooked up that I'm going to be using a boat. Pull in for 3 or 4 o'clock, and leave the next morning by dawns early light, just doesn't warrant in my book to pull out everything to go fishing. I'll just stay on the banks.

Jim is correct. Neither the motor or the boat has seen water - yet. If I come up with a roof rack for the Saturn, all bets are off.

Edited:
p.s., if you call Carl, don't do as I did and call 0800 Central Time. he's in Calif. and it's early there. Well, okay, go ahead and call him 0800 EST.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:17 PM   #14
dodge
Established Member

M.O.C. #8554
Hey Guys,

Jim-n-Kathy has the porta-bote already, he's asking for suggestions for mounting the brackets on the side of the rig (Model 2955). On the port (left) side, on the dining room slide out. He has removed the hide-a-bed and two of the heavy kitchen chairs and the porta bote weighs less than those items.

Hey Jim,
I think your idea of an oak backing plate behind and below the table would be the ticket for the forward bracket.

Ken

dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 03:53 PM   #15
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Just remember that it will be a continuous 90 pounds for a 10 foot boat. I'm not sure what the 12 or 14 footer weighs. The backing plate seems like a good idea.

I posted the information I posted because it was mentioned in the thread. No intent to hi-jack the thread. So, Oops.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 05:00 PM   #16
mikestock
Established Member

M.O.C. #7781
I had a '01 model 3255RL and mounted their standard mount on the large slide. Didn't worry about studs as I used through-bolts and reinforced the inside with 1/2" plywood and fender washers. On the outside, under the brackets I used 3/4" oak strips. No longer have that Montana, but when I removed the bracket I cleaned up the outer wall and patched the holes with silicone.
mikestock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 03:09 PM   #17
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
We carried a 12' model on the big slide of our 2955 for eight years. Bob thru bolted it with aluminum backing plates. Just be sure to caulk the holes on the outside to prevent leaking. The only problem we experienced was a deterioration of the side of the boat facing the elements. Keep in mind our boat was already 10 years old when we started fulltiming. We did sell it with our 2955 when we got the Big Sky and haved missed it.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 05:33 AM   #18
rphoward
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4471
We have the Carl & Susan developed rack under our rig for carrying our 12 ft. boat. We made a bag for the boat to slip into and it then rolls in nicely under the rig. When boat is not with us, ladder can be slid in for easy transportation.
rphoward is offline   Reply With Quote