Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2010, 02:40 AM   #1
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
Galley Sink Stink

Does everyone start getting odor from the galley sink when it starts to get full? Ours does and stops after dumped. I thought thr T-Traps were supposed to stop that.

PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 03:07 AM   #2
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Mike & Debbie, We have never experienced this in the 4 1/2 years we have had the Monty. You are correct in thinking the trap is there to stop fumes/gases from coming back into the unit from the holding tank by forming a water seal. You statement about a t-trap confuses me a little. Most traps under the sink are either a P-trap going into the wall or an s-trap if it goes through the floor. If someone modified your sink drain and you only have a "T" would imply to me the absence of a trap. With out seeing your actual piping it is hard to understand what you have. We will be interested to know what you find out. Jim
Old 09-05-2010, 04:04 AM   #3
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
We have had this happen to us a couple of times...think it might happen when there isn't any water in the trap to block fumes from the holding tank. I seem to recall a "Letter to the Editor" in one of the RV magazines a while back stating the same thing. When I notice this (which has not been very often), I put some water down the drain...so far, that has seemed to work.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 04:48 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The galley tank can be as nasty as the black tank. Food particles get into the tank and rot down there. The galley tank needs the same treatment and care as the black tank. In fact since you use the galley tank more there is a better chance of "stuff" building up down there. Get a screen for the drain to prevent much of the food particles from getting down there.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:20 AM   #5
jdvier
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10130
If the "P" trap gets the water sloshed out it will cause the odors to come up into the trailer. Something you might want to think about is putting a plug in the drain. This will prevent the water from evporating. I also put something in to stop the odor. I am going to try some "digest it" in to see if that helps.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PowellsMonty

Does everyone start getting odor from the galley sink when it starts to get full? Ours does and stops after dumped. I thought thr T-Traps were supposed to stop that.
jdvier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:22 PM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
All the above. Also, wipe all grease with a paper towel from your plates and pans and throw the towel in the trash. Grease will really stink up a place. Think of rotting meat.

If you cannot find a plug sufficient enough to plug the drain while travelling, try putting some water in a 1 gallon zip lock bag, about 1/4 to 1/3 full (3/4 or 2/3 empty - your preference) and place it in the drain. The water in the bag will (should) make a seal. This same tip can be applied to the toilet bowl.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 02:04 PM   #7
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
I put a flusher in the galley just like the black and flush it once and awhile after using a little degrease.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 02:31 AM   #8
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
There is also a dump vent that has a spring operated vent. This screws on to the vent cap it is located under the sink on some units. Sometimes this goes bad and lets fumes from the tank excape into the unit. On my unit there is one under the sink and one on the gray tank located in the basement.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 06:07 AM   #9
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
I found a dump vent under the bathroom sink, will that have anything to do with the galley? We scrape plates & have fine mesh stainers in both sides.Pour extra Joy down the galley. Only stinks when near full, I empty & its gone but I was wondering why that started after 4 years.
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:59 PM   #10
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
We pour some Pinesol down the drain when we experience the "stink" and it works fine. We have to do it a couple of times a season. We had the same problem with our SOB.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:30 PM   #11
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
The stink can happen if you have the galley tank valve opened and you open the black tank valve to dump. The stuff in the black tank can and will back flow into the galley tank. Then if the P trap is emptied of water, you get the aroma of a state park outhouse.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote