Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HEY KEYSTONE! > What I'd like to say if...
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2016, 12:07 PM   #1
Redskals
Established Member

M.O.C. #18866
SAWDUST!

Our new high country is disgusting! This stuff is everywhere, the carpet, walls, door, ceiling. Been camping for 2 weeks now and my throats burns from breathing this air. I've wiped down everything I can reach, vacuumed daily, and am running a blueair air purifier full time. It's not healthy or safe. Not to mention the nails, staples and tiny pieces of wire embedded in the carpet. We have a 20 month old toddler and I'm constantly finding things that are left behind.

Bottom line, not impressed with The quality or craftsmanship of most things in our brand new unit. I hear you'll find the same with most brands and that is the sad state of this industry.

Redskals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 12:57 PM   #2
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
yep you are right it is pretty industry wide with the leftover sawdust But WOW you got it real bad ,on all 3 of my Monty's I have had some in the Basement area and ceiling and vacuumed that up but not that bad to make my throat burn and I have never had nails, staples and wire sticking out of the carpet YIKES!
Old 09-29-2016, 03:05 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
True! I would call Keystone and let them know. They log all complaints and talk them over at a regular manager meeting. No complaints and they assume they have no problems.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 03:16 PM   #4
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
The throat burning is probably from all the building materials out-gassing. You should also blame the dealer for not doing a thorough job vacuuming the rig, which should have been done at the factory, but still should have been done prior to delivery. We had a little sawdust, but the rig was new, but almost a year old when we purchased it, so missed the out-gassing issue.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 03:33 PM   #5
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Not pleasant for sure. Like others, a little sawdust here and there but nothing like you described.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 04:07 PM   #6
PeteandJoan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17905
a friend picked up his new 2017 HC today and has a load of issues too. 4 shades don't work, table leaf cracked , auto level don't work, and on and on.
6-pt Hydraulic leveling
PeteandJoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 05:36 PM   #7
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
Highly recommend that you vacuum out the heating vents, AC vents, and the AC air return vents if you have the whisper AC units. I had sawdust in all vents and air returns. Also remove the vents under the stairs (tread risers) and you will probably find more sawdust. If you get real adventurous remove the walls in the basement and you will find even more sawdust and probably even more issues. Don't ask me how I know...Thanks Keystone!
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 06:23 PM   #8
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
That was my guess as well with the throat burning all 3 new RV's I have had there was out-gassing for a few months but it goes away but it never made my throat burn,
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rohrmann

The throat burning is probably from all the building materials out-gassing. You should also blame the dealer for not doing a thorough job vacuuming the rig, which should have been done at the factory, but still should have been done prior to delivery. We had a little sawdust, but the rig was new, but almost a year old when we purchased it, so missed the out-gassing issue.
Old 09-30-2016, 01:31 AM   #9
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Neither of the 2 new Montanas we have purchased (2008 & 2012) had a problem like you described. In fact BOTH units were very close to spotless thanks to my dealer who does a very thorough PDI and cleaning before you do your own PDI.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 06:32 AM   #10
chris199
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17167
Yup...that's a dealer issue. Your dealer should have detailed the inside...clean, vacuum, etc. Granted it would be idwal if Keystone had better processes to address this but there's no excuse for a customer to deal with what you have found. Your dealer should have taken better care to address this before you received the unit.

Yup...almost everything in there has significant chemical components. Open the ceiling vents, Windows, run the fan.... it does eventually dissipate....just a matter of time sorry to say.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 01:04 PM   #11
Redskals
Established Member

M.O.C. #18866
MY EMAILS TO THE DEALER:
Hi Kenn,

I'd like to update you on our experience with our 2016 Montana High Country 362RD since we took delivery September 15.

Luckily, we've had no major issues. All our appliances and essential systems are working.
However, we are extremely disappointed in the PDI and supposed repairs. We asked REPEATEDLY that a few things were rectified before delivery.

1-noticeable scratch on closet door opposite entry.

2- loose panel on refrigerator door

3- rear roller shade lopsided.

We were assured by several people, you included, that these items had been taken care of.
NOTHING had been done to replace the closet door and thus we have a large gouge in a wood door right in front of your face upon entry to our brand new unit.

The refrigerator door was altered but broke again within 5 minutes of use. Obviously not fixed properly.

The rear roller shade was leveled but the window covering is now lopsided; so much for a proper repair.

Things we have noticed since delivery,

- 2 of 3 Tv's mounted obviously crooked
- sawdust EVERYWHERE
- main bathroom toilet not sealing
- leak in basement
- nails, staples, and fine wire embedded in carpet (as you know we have a small child and this has posed quite a problem)
- stripped screws on inside steps (not comfortable on bare feet to say the least)
- 1 door has loose molding and a chunk ripped off the panel which was shoddily glued back on.

I've spent 2 weeks vacuuming and wiping down every surface I can reach. I am disgusted with the level of cleanliness in this unit. I hardly think it's too much to ask to have a unit delivered with a basic cleaning detail. As you know, this RV was at your facility for over a month between purchase and delivery so there is no issue here with time constraints.

I understand a good amount of my disapproval should be placed with the manufacturer but I also hoped Camping World would have been more thorough.
Everyone at your facility has been gracious but due to the quality of work, I can't recommend your location to anyone.

This email is just a follow up to deliver some feedback. I do hope it is appreciated.

Regards,
Nicole and Javier

Sent from my iPhone
Redskals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 02:27 PM   #12
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
You need to get up to owner relations in Keystone to get their denial for door scratches, window scratches and bad shades reversed. It took Me three months but I finally got all of my initial list completed yesterday. I turned on the furnace today and what a stench so I have more cleaning to do. I already did the AC and under the steps. I also got lucky in that my third warranty dealers service department redid all the dealer prep issues General RV and I did not see. They glued a lot of paneling and stuff I would have noticed eventually but they must have been experienced in fixing mfr quality issues. I am shocked as they did not charge me or get Keystone to cover the extra hours. Great Dealer! Tradewinds RV in CLIO Michigan.
jameswbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 04:32 PM   #13
TELECOOL
Established Member

M.O.C. #20130
Angry Sawdust / metal shavings

Hi Guys I whole heartedly agree with you about the sawdust in your vents and really area that is covered with flooring trim paneling electrical panels etc anything you don't physically see when you enter the trailer.

We took deliver on our 2017 3811MS LEGACY EDITION back in April when we did the walk through I mentioned the saw duct on areas of the floor in the living area the tech at Holiday World in Alvarado,Texas mentioned oh thats normal don't be surprised if you get sawdust out of your a/c vents for a while until it all settles down.BS this is BS HEY KEYSTONE DON'T YOU HAVE AIR PRESSURE AND A NOZZLE TO BLOW THAT S**T OUT!!

This is very terrible quality control if you even have that!

It's 98 degrees here today in TEXAS but i decided to try my heater to see if it would come on because we are going to COLORADO in October and I just wanted to be sure that it would work but before I turned it on I decided to take the cover outside and do an inspection before starting it since I'm an Heating and Air Conditioning Contractor myself.Took cover off and just as i figure sawdust everywhere and metal shavings.I guess they don't pay the Amish enough to do a good job.
TELECOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 05:48 PM   #14
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
Im still finding sawdust after 18 months, but yours sounds particularly bad. You might also be ultra-sensitive to formaldehyde outgassing which I think is worse than the sawdust. Regardless, you might want to at least discuss it with the dealer and KS.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 07:15 PM   #15
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
According to a long time friend who worked at our CW they don't do an inspection if there is a problem the customer will find it and bring the unit back to have it fixed. The manufacturer don't care about sawdust. It don't prevent them from selling a unit and it takes time and cost money to get it out so why bother.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 06:37 AM   #16
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
You definitely have a dealer problem, both our Montana's were spotless when delivered to us.
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 06:52 AM   #17
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
After 1 week in our new 2017 High Country I have a short list. These are mostly items that should have never left the factory. It seems Keystone has gone to a different supplier for roller shades. MCD supplied those in our Cougar and never a problem. Three shades in the Montana were replaced from PDI and now another is not functioning. All but 1 item I could do but since it is going in to have slide toppers installed they can do it all and let Keystone pay them. CW delivered the 5er spotless.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 07:46 PM   #18
jeff_banning
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20129
2018 Montana 3950BR, $96,000+ MSRP, and freaking saw dust was every where. It was all over the upper bunk, all over the floor, counters, inside all the vents as they reviewed our A/C issue. Agree, this is not a dealer issue, this is a Keystone quality control issue, zero reason it should leave the factory this way. Dealer should be responsible for minor detailing, not full construction clean up.
2017 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW 6.7L PS 4:10's
Monett, MO
jeff_banning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 08:00 PM   #19
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_banning View Post
2018 Montana 3950BR, $96,000+ MSRP, and freaking saw dust was every where. It was all over the upper bunk, all over the floor, counters, inside all the vents as they reviewed our A/C issue. Agree, this is not a dealer issue, this is a Keystone quality control issue, zero reason it should leave the factory this way. Dealer should be responsible for minor detailing, not full construction clean up.
Reading about the sawdust I guess CW cleaned mine pretty good. Still have 11 issues that should not have left the factory. These issues could not be found until actually using the 5er. I expected some, but had zero with the Cougar.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:00 AM   #20
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
On my Montana, remove virtually any panel, and there will be sawdust.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote