Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2013, 12:33 AM   #1
hybridhauler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13723
6 point Level Up System

My apologies if this isn't the correct place for the post.

I have a question about the Lippert 6 point auto levelling system that comes on the new Montanas.

This is my first experience with this system and after reading the service and owners manual I'm still a bit concerned about the initial hook up and disconnecting from the tow vehicle. Please share your views of the system, how it operates, how you connect and disconnect the tow vehicle and any other tips or tricks you may have.

hybridhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:53 AM   #2
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
You can use the system just as a traditional system, in most cases I use mine manually to disconnect and connect to the truck. The system will return the 5th wheel to the location when you disconnected. I seldom use that feature.
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:58 AM   #3
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
What are your specific questions? It works as described in the manual. I follow the book, except that I manually retract the rear jacks and then do the final lowering of the front while I am in the truck looking at my camera of the hitch, only because of my truck, NOT the system. I found it to be easier.
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 03:23 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The Manual is clear. We use it in full auto. IMO one of the best features is that the system remembers where the unhook point is. You do have to pay attention and follow the hook and unhook procedures as per the instructions.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:54 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
In addition , just make sure the truck is out from under the rig when you push auto level.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:38 AM   #6
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Lloyd,

click on the attached that gives you a google search of various videos demonstrating the LevelUp system. It may help you. As you've noted in some responses so far to your inquiry, some use Manual and others rely on Auto. Practice and usage will strengthen your understanding. Hell I'm still a little shaky with it but so far no real issues using it. Good Luck

https://www.google.com/search?q=lipp...rlz=1I7GGLL_en
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:19 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have been using it for 14 months and have the instructions posted on the door .We read the instructions every time we use it.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:59 AM   #8
daily double
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9256
At my age, I have to read the inst. every time. I don't trust myself to remember anything anymore!!
daily double is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:01 AM   #9
jgavin
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10361
Send a message via MSN to jgavin Send a message via Skype™ to jgavin
There is also a 4x6" sticker on or around the doors (mine is on the inside of the propane door) and will step you through both hookup and unhooking.

Definitely love the speed of the operation too!
jgavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:44 AM   #10
maximo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11371
On my system the leveling instructions to disconnect are right on. When reconnecting the RV does not come back to the disconnect height, it is to low. I have to go to manual and go to the right height to connect. I connect to the hitch then back to auto and retract the jacks. Not a problem, just a extra step.

Frank
maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:18 PM   #11
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
While intimidating at first, the Level Up system is quite easy to use.

To Hook Up:
Press the left and right buttons simultaneously to return to the height where you unhooked. This frequently is off by an inch or two or doesn't do anything if you had raised the pin either higher or lower than it was. It really doesn't matter, you might have to adjust the height manually. I use the remote control as I back the truck up to the hitch to make that final adjustment. I understand the new rigs don't have a remote any longer. That is too bad. It is terrific for this.

Once you get the pin connected, scroll the led window until you find "Auto Retract". Hit Enter and the system retracts all the legs lowering the weight onto the TV.

To Unhook:
Press the "front" button to lower the front landing legs until the weight just comes off the hitch. Pull the release handle and drive the truck out away from the RV. Then hit the "Auto Level" button and let the system do its thing.

AFter you have done it four or five times you will be an expert.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:53 PM   #12
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
At the Elkhart Campground in Elkhart, In and when I did laundry today met a couple who just had level-up installed at the Lippert plant and were loving it. They had already sold the guy in the rig next to them on calling Lippert and arranging to have it installed on his rig. Once you get comfortable with it you wouldn't ever want to go back.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:09 PM   #13
cargary2
Established Member

M.O.C. #13392
I agree with the others on the level up system and must admit I was intimidated at first, operating it until I learned how it works. I suggest that you play with it a little at home before camping and get more comfortable with it. And like someone said, after you unhook, make sure that you move your tow vehicle out of harms way before doing anything else with the system - such as, pushing the auto level button. After you do it several times you will understand why this is important.
Play with it at home some and I am sure you will become more at ease with it.
Good luck and enjoy!
cargary2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:53 PM   #14
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Oooohhh! That would be one of those "tattoo it on my forehead" things to remember!!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

In addition , just make sure the truck is out from under the rig when you push auto level.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:29 AM   #15
hybridhauler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13723
Thanks all, I do feel a little better about things now. As everyone has said, it's just a matter of getting familiar with the new system and practice, practice, practice.
hybridhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 12:44 AM   #16
Jewels
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13667
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by cargary2

I agree with the others on the level up system and must admit I was intimidated at first, operating it until I learned how it works. I suggest that you play with it a little at home before camping and get more comfortable with it. And like someone said, after you unhook, make sure that you move your tow vehicle out of harms way before doing anything else with the system - such as, pushing the auto level button. After you do it several times you will understand why this is important.
Play with it at home some and I am sure you will become more at ease with it.
Good luck and enjoy!
When your unit is being stored, do you have it on all 6 legs and leveled? If so, I have heard that you should retract the jacks periodically so as to keep them lubricated. Is that what you all do, and if so, how is that accomplished? Do you hook back up to the TV, or is there a way to complete that exercise without the TV attached?

Currently we have the Montana in our side yard on all 6 legs. Is that appropriate?

Your input is appreciated!
Jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:29 AM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Ours stays up all year without loosing level.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:49 AM   #18
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
Since we are not fulltimers, ours will be stored with the jacks up so as to keep them lubricated and the pressure off the system. I will exercise them once a month through the Winter as well as the slides.
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:22 AM   #19
maximo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11371
Captain,
Stored with all jacks up, what is the hitch pin set on to hold the front up?

Frank
maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:03 AM   #20
cargary2
Established Member

M.O.C. #13392
For the most part, we re-track the rear jacks (4 of them) up when not camping. When we get home from a camp out, I will push the level up button to level it, as when we are unloading the fiver, we don't have to fight the swinging doors when going in and out and again, and it gives me more practice. After we get that done, I will retract the rear jacks, again, the rear 4.
The front 2 jacks are left down in the position where we unhooked. I see no reason why it could not be left in the level up position while stored, but we choose not to. The manual says as long as you periodically clean and lubricate them, all should be fine. As I don't leave ours in the level up position when stored, I will every other month, wipe clean and apply silicone to the legs. Others may have different methods, but this is how we do it.
Hope this helps.
cargary2 is offline   Reply With Quote