Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 09-24-2006, 09:59 AM   #1
KBLH
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5867
Idaho/Wyoming/Montana Travels

We are planning a trip from San Antonio, Texas with final destination Yellowstone during the month of May. We have heard that we better not travel until June 1st. due to the uncertain snow coditions in the states we will be going thru. Is this true? This area will be a first for both of us so we are looking for advise on safe routes to travel, good parks to stop at, places we would not want to miss, etc.

Thanks,
Kelly&Larry

KBLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 10:13 AM   #2
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Kelly & Larry,

If you're planning on driving through CO or WY I wouldn't think you'd have any problems in May. Now I'm not saying we don't see occasional snow that time of year but it's the kind of thing that usually melts the next day. The mountains are a little more dicey but you really shouldn't be going through any mountains until you get close to Yellowstone.

Hope that helps.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 12:20 PM   #3
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
KBLH

We left California April 20 for Nebraska and wanted to go through Yellowstone which would be the first of May. There were no roads open in the park at that time, in my opinion it would be a little early, but every year is different when it comes to the weather.

Larry
Old 09-24-2006, 01:16 PM   #4
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
KBLH

Check this site out on your way.http://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisi...closedates.htm

Larry

Old 09-24-2006, 02:35 PM   #5
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Usually by the 1st of May South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, and Washington are finished with their main snow season. That does not mean you wont find that freak snow storm, but nothing that would drop down a large amount at once.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 02:43 PM   #6
CampingCrazyShirley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6271
We did Yellowstone and South Dakota this past summer...we left the end of June and came back 3rd week of July. The weather was perfect...nights were still chilly. We heard some places were still getting snow the first of June, but like previous post, I don't think it is anything which would cause delay in your trip. Have Fun!
CampingCrazyShirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 04:10 PM   #7
KBLH
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5867
Thanks for all the replys.....sounds like it would be better to wait until June just to be on the safe side. Any recommendations on the RV parks that you stayed at?
Old 09-24-2006, 06:46 PM   #8
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
Hey Kelly and Larry,
Steve and I are from Livingston, MT. That is our home and where we have lived for the last 12 years until this past summer.
The roads in Yellowstone will be plowed around the first of May. The park should be up and running by the middle of May. The Beartooth highway will not be opened then. It is an amazing road from Cooke City to Redlodge, MT. This usually opens May 31- or a little later if they get a late spring snow. This is worth waiting on...
Glacier National Park is also such an amazing park, 8 hours from Livingston. It is well worth the extra miles. In my opinion, it is much more scenic and beautiful than Yellowstone. Many more bears, glaciers, scenic vistas, etc. It will probably not be open until late May or early June. It is quite a feat plowing the "going to the sun highway" there.
RV parks are plentiful. River's Edge in Livingston is great. Grizzly Park in West Yellowstone. Xanterra (307-344-7311)is the company that runs some of the RV parks/campsites (Bridge Bay, Canyon, Fishing Bridge, Madison, and Grant) in Yellowstone. NPS (National Park Service) (307-344-7381)runs some others. Be aware, Fishing Bridge is the only one with water, sewer and electrical. All others are "roughing it." And if you are over 30ft, spaces are limited. If you want to stay in the park, get a reservation ASAP.
Yellowstone park homepage: www.nps.gov/yell/index.htm
Steve has worked in Mammoth for the last 12 years. Before that, 2 years at Old Faithful and 7 years at Grant Village. Spent over half his life in Yellowstone. That's where we met...
Good luck,
tara and steve
txkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 12:08 AM   #9
KBLH
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5867
Thanks Tara and Steve!

You have given us so much information to think about! Based on your info I think we will definately wait until June....and since I like "roughing it" WITH electric/water/dump, that reservation will be made soon! BTW Tara, I noticed your a nurse (so am I). Have you ever taken a Travel assignment while taking your trips?

Kelly & Larry
Old 09-26-2006, 05:43 AM   #10
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
KBLH,
You don't indicate which route you plan on taking to get to Yellowstone. Will you be headed west toward Hwy 15 or will you be hitting Hwy 25. Once you decide on which basic route you plan to take we can provide some more detailed info.

We just visited Yellowstone this past July. We stayed at a nice little CG on the west side of West Yellowstone. I believe the name of the place was Rustic Village or something like that. It is on Hwy 20 right on the west edge of town. Nothing special but nice enough CG and the folks were really friendly and helpful. Much more reasonable than Grizzly (which is probably the nicest CG in the area).

Happy travels.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 06:32 AM   #11
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
We stayed at the KOA in West Yellowstone, Idaho just outside the west entrance. That's it in our Avatar.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 07:39 AM   #12
KBLH
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5867
Thanks Mary Kay and Dennis,
At this time, we don't have the exact route to Yellowstone planned...still need to figure out exactly what spots we want to stop at along the way. Neither of us have ever been to that part of the US and we just want to make sure we're safe, have an exciting time and lots of memories to take back. This is such a great site to "tap the brains" of so many people.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:38 PM   #13
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
Hey there Kelly!
Glad to have a fellow MOCer share the awesome profession of Nursing! To answer your question, No, I have never done any travel nursing. I am in graduate school here in Southern Ca. and fell into RVing quite by accident. Steve and I moved here to complete my NA residency and decided instead of renting, why not live in a RV? We happened upon the Montana line and fell in love. So far, so good...
Steve and I have discussed travel nursing after I graduate. It would be easy because we are all set up for it.
If you need anything else in regards to Yellowstone or MT, send me a PM. More than glad to help you guys. You are gonna love it... We miss home so much.
txkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 01:46 PM   #14
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Susan and I stayed at Fishing Bridge RV Park in Yellowstone during our visit this September. I don't know about May weather but in mid September we had 3 days of great weather and then cold and snow for 2 days. We enjoyed it all. Moving around the Park in our F350 was not a problem on any day. Fishing Bridge was a great location because it was in the Park and made connections to various locations easy. Full hook-ups--no cable. All back-ins but I would go back there when we visit again. A reservation is mandatory!
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 07:47 PM   #15
KBLH
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5867
Hey Tim and Susan, I see your from San Antonio...so are we! Thanks for the information. I was just checking out the site for Fishing Bridge RV Park a few days ago. It looked very interesting. Was this your first trip there? Did you leave from SA and go straight to Yellowstone? I would really be interested in finding out your route you took and if you were happy with it.

Thanks,
Kelly & Larrry
Old 10-01-2006, 04:58 AM   #16
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Fellow Texans:

We are from Northeast Texas so our route would be somewhat different but since we make this route several times a year (to Colorado, I mean) I will make these comments:

For personal reasons we always wish to go through Colorado, so we follow US 287 to Amarillo then to Dumas, Dalhart, Clayton (NM), Raton. We have stayed at Ole Town Cotton Gin in Goodlett, Texas, Rocking A in Vernon, Overnight and RV Ranch in Amarillo. All were fine and, depending on "end of day" situation we would stay at any of them again.

One of our favorites is the Cedar Rail at the top of Raton Pass--just inside New Mexico but close to Trinidad, Colorado.

On the way to Yellowstone last year we stayed at the Riverview (or is it "Riverside") RV park outside Dubois, WY. We would definitely go back there again. This route puts you through the Grand Tetons and into the South entrance of Yellowstone. We pulled the Montana through the Southwest quadrant of the park, even stopping at West Thumb and Old Faithful areas with the RV in tow. We stayed outside the park (20 miles or so) at Red Rock in Idaho, driving back into the park for our visits.

http://dwilliamson.com/Yellowstone/Page.html

Click above for a few photos of our trip last June.

Incidentally, we visited Zion, North Rim of Grand Canyon, Mesa Verde after we left Yellowstone on this same trip.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 06:44 AM   #17
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
Wholeheartedly second RV Ranch in Amarillo, and the Cotton Gin in Goodlett. Great CGs, great folks. The Grizzly CG in West Yellowstone is super, but a bit pricey. I wouldn't stay in Fishing Bridge again. It's way too crowded and cramped. Like a crowded parking lot. Last time we were there, the couple next to us had to ask us to retract our slideout so they could unhook. That's cramped, brother!

If you take backroads from W. Yellowstone to Jackson, WY. be aware that Teton Pass is 20 miles of 10% grade and tight switchbacks, so plan to use the turnouts often. Beautiful drive, though.

You will probably encounter a Wyoming state trooper just across the line from Idaho, so watch your speed. Don't ask me how I know this, LOL!

It's a beautiful trip, and well worth the time. Enjoy!
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote