Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2006, 01:31 PM   #21
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I like the idea myself. Maybe we could tie it into our rallies or someone could volunteer to organize it. Really easy recipes would make for a very interesting cookbook. Stay awake more often, Mac.

jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 02:49 PM   #22
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
After working for a grocery store for 11 years, you would think I would know what I want and how much food to buy. HA! I am one of those guys that walks down the aisle and if it looks good, I buy it. No planning, no lists, no budget, I just go. I must say the pantry this year in the coach is not as full as years past. I am trying something new - eat what I have, then go buy more. LOL!
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 04:16 AM   #23
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
The hardest thing about cooking for two without a lot of leftovers is buying small enough quanities. At home I could buy a four pound roast and freeze half but there is not a lot of freezer space in the Tana. Even one pound of hamburger makes some very large burgers for two people. We just can't eat that much nor do we want to.
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 05:05 AM   #24
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We have that problem, too, Helen. I don't know how to make a batch of spaghetti sauce for just two people. We eat spaghetti for eons and still have some leftover. Maybe the trick would be to buy a large package of hamburger and then make small batches of spaghetti, sloppy joes, and hamburgers. You wouldn't have to cook for a month! The packages of chicken are almost worse. I made up some chicken salad and it lasted forever. I usually don't cook with recipes anymore because they always serve six to eight and we're tired of it before it's gone.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:12 AM   #25
syplace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1666
We winter in Del Rio Texas and this next year will be going to Las Cruces, NM. I like to stock up on staples that i regulary use. Food is a lot cheaper here in Wis. than down South so I try to store a lot of staples. Usually gone about 5 mo. +/- . I know I will fix chilie at least 3 times, spaghetti 2 times, casserole basics, homemade veg. barley soup for those extra cold days. Most that I fix freezes well, so bought an Avanti 1.4 cuft freezer. Now I will take extra meat, ie: buffalo,
venison chicken & such. Hopefully, if I planned well, we will be running only to the store for milk, fresh vegies, etc.
syplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 08:22 AM   #26
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
Yes
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 08:00 AM   #27
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
We still eat in a lot, so we keep the normal "staples" for cooking available, and go shopping for the "fresh" food just about weekly. We keep the staples in air tight containers as well as all the spices and stuff.

I really like the idea of having access to recipes "for two". May be someone could start another thread under "Whats Cooking" for just recipes for two? Then we would all have the ability to make our own favorites collection of recipes. What do you think?

Joy T.
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 07:09 AM   #28
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
Since I cook a bit, I "googled" (actually "ask jeeves") using recipes for two and found almost endless recipes on the internet. You could cook for two forever and still be original.
Try it, you may like it.
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 12:12 PM   #29
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Larry,

Dang, I knew I didn't have an original idea. Oh well, maybe one of these days!

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 06:02 PM   #30
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
We're not full-timers, either, but we are staying out on the road every other week for a week. Semi-retirement is GREAT! Can't wait until it's no longer semi!

I do the cooking in our household because, well, a number of years back I got divorced and discovered that Hungry-Man microwave dinners just don't cut it after a few days. And, buying fresh every day is a bit on the expensive side. Plus, I just really enjoy cooking!

The biggest tip I might be able to make is get a vacuum sealer. You know, like seal-a-meal or something similar. We have the Foodsaver brand and I love it. I buy a tri-tip (usually for about 3 bucks a pound) and vacuum seal it until I'm ready to bbq - this keeps it fresher much longer (I have some rib eyes in the freezer that still taste great after a year, especially when I know that I got them on sale for less than $5 per pound!). I also like to spice the meat prior to putting it in the vacuum bag. I find that the spices really permeate the meat (I do have lots of spices in the Monty). When I get ready to bbq the meat. I take it out of the vacuum bag, grill it up and we eat on part of it. The rest? Well, it goes back into another vacuum bag for 3, maybe 6 days later. Just warm it up in the 1/2 time oven, and it's as good as new. I do make sure that what we are not going to eat that night is bbq a little more rare than we like it so that when I reheat it, it comes out the way we both like it.

My wife and friends tease me that I should try out for the Food Channel's new cooking program contest - we'll call it "Creative, Connoisseur, Campground Cooking"

As for veggies, I like to get the frozen ones at Wally World - just a couple of bucks per bag and I usually put them in a pot, on the stove.

For potatoes, when I want just two baked ones, I actually bake 5 or more. I put the cooled ones in another vacuum bag and when we have Sunday breakfast, I cut up one or two and fry them up with some bacon and eggs. By pre-baking them, it doesn't take long at all. I have found that the 1/2 time oven is wonderful! Much better than the microwave, and even better than the oven (I grew up in British Columbia in a remote cabin that had a wood stove, propane stove, and propane refer; re-stocking was made just once a week, because the trip to the nearest town was 25 miles by water and 25 miles by dirt road).

Right now, I am looking for a better bbq (about 300 sq. inches of cooking space and more BTU's) than the Wally World $19.95 one I have, because I would really like to cook Sunday breakfast outside on the bbq using a frying pan.

Sorry for the long post - got carried away!

snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 06:21 PM   #31
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Michael,

Sounds like you and I think very similar. I don't have a food saver, but I do love to cook I get so much grief around here for watching the food channel 24/7 and always coming up with new ideas and new recipes. I also love watching QVC on Sunday with "In the Kitchen w/Bob" and have purchased many pans and utensils there as well. I would also love a great bbq to take in the Monty but size and weight is an issue as well. If you find a great solution, let me know. In the meantime, we need to go camping together, and do a little cooking, maybe we can tag team that "who wants to be the next food network star" gig.

mac
Old 05-19-2006, 06:28 PM   #32
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Would absolutely love to! We waited too long for the Shasta rally, because I wasn't sure if I would be up to it, what with learning how the 5er works and all (including pulling it).

We plan on a Colorado trip in the fall, so maybe...
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 05:02 AM   #33
mfoss
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2923
Michael, the Food Saver idea is great. I use mine at home often but wouldn't have thought to take it along! Your other tips-----the baked potatoes and the steaks-----I'll be trying that too. Thanks!
mfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 10:12 AM   #34
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
We don't go on trips for more than a week but I have in the pantry at all times abut 3-4 cans of veggies, 2-3 cans of fruit, some canned meat (yes even Spam--after all our son works for Hormel) some pasta and things like instant pudding, jello, bisquick, sugar, flour and what I call basic spices. then I take fresh vegies, meat, etc when we go. I have two cookbooks in tht trailer--one is cooking with 5 ingredients or less and the other is written by Joanne Lund from Dewitt, IA--she wrote several (read she died last week) for rv's. I think the name of mine is Open Road Cooking. her receipies were all written for low cal, lo salt and lo fat diets. really good easy recipies and there is really good stuff she has written about how to cook for rv'ing. her books are at Borders and I am sure Barnes and Nobel. her recipies are also smaller amounts.
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 10:47 AM   #35
countrygirl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2831
This thread has facinated me and after reading all of the posts, the Recipe book that was mentioned in one post would be a great idea for us that are fulltimers or partimers. I had thought of putting a small recipe book together and actually , I have started on it...that was several years ago. But, the idea of "a recipe book for two" sounds great! I will keep thinking about it and maybe I can come up with something.
I learned from several of you about your planning for meals and some of you do as I do in meal preparation. I take joy in planning meals for our trips. I, like Rickety keep a nice stash of food on hand. The pantry is supplied with staples that I might need, such as canned milk, canned veggies, spagetti, spagetti sauce, etc. The freezer is where I really plan well. I usually buy ground sirloin or chuck for my burgers and for other dishes. I divide it and make patties for the burgers. I wrap each one in foil and stack or put them in a large ziploc bag. Then, take out what you need each time. I buy chicken tenders instead of the large chicken breasts in a frozen bag at Wal-mart. I only take just what we will need for a meal. I can use chicken tenders for chicken salad, fried chicken strips, chicken and dumplings, etc. you get the idea. This makes it easier and is not wastful. The tenders thaw in just a few minutes. Some nights after traveling all day long, I will take out several chicken tenders and thaw and fry them , add a baked potato , salad and there you have an easy meal and very good. These are things that I have just come up with over the last few years to make rving easier for the "cook".
One thing that I did before we went to Florida this May was to bake a fresh pork roast. Then, I divided it and made pulled pork BBQ for sandwiches. I froze several containers, leaving one here in our freezer and taking the other two with us. The sauce I made up is different from the sauce for my rib recipe...but taste pretty good , if I say so. Thanks for letting me ramble!
Shirley or Countrygirl
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 12:37 PM   #36
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Country Girl,

You mean I had a good idea? Will you tell my wife for me????

mac
Old 05-25-2006, 01:07 PM   #37
countrygirl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2831
Mac, you surely did have an excellent idea. Maybe the cookbook will become a reality. This would be great for all of us RVers.
Countrygirl or Shirley
Old 05-25-2006, 03:42 PM   #38
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Shirley, thanks for sharing those great ideas. When will you be back home in Texas?
Old 05-25-2006, 05:07 PM   #39
countrygirl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2831
Judy, actually we are at home now. We returned on Sunday morning. We shortened our trip a few days because we were getting a little homesick. We enjoyed our trip to Atlanta and especially Stone Mt. Park where we had a wonderful time doing many things there within the park. They offer so much for everyone of all ages to enjoy.
Now, we are planning our regular trip to Colorado to see our daughter Margaret who lives in Buena Vista. We will go sometime in June.
I know that you are busy right now getting ready for your new adventure...Happy RVing!!
Countrygirl or Shirley
Old 05-25-2006, 05:52 PM   #40
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Shirley,

My wife lived in Salida when we first started dating, which is right down the road from "Bueny" as we always called it here. You should try and go see the Great Sand Dunes when you're down there.

mac