Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2005, 05:25 AM   #1
genecurp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2535
slide out supports

Hi
We just moved into our 2006 3295rk in mid-November. Our first hardsided rv. Living for the next several months in the Monty in a campground. Should I be getting slide out supports since we are unlikely to move and the slides remain extended?

Thanks in advance to you experienced folks for sharing your knowledge.

genecurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 05:47 AM   #2
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
Gene - There have been a lot of discussions on this topic. You have to worry, should you lose pressure in one of your tire's or get a lot of rain, where your rig would start to sink in one area or another, the supports could cause a lot of damage. I haven't seen to many slide supports being used, just because of this reason.

See You Down The Road John H (aka Hemlockusa)
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 08:50 AM   #3
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
If you can't find the previous threads re this subject here on the Forum, suggest you contact MIMF by e-mail. He is the Lippert Rep at Keystone. They build the slide mechanisms and are the authoritative word on the should you or should you not use slide supports. My feeling is that it is an emphatic NO!

patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 12:27 PM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I leave my coach set up at the lake 6-7 months a year. I do not use slide supports as I was told by the factory rep I would not need them and also "do not use them." The main thing to remember is bring your slides in and out at least once every 2 to 3 weeks. This will keep everything lubricated and working properly. This is going on my 3 full summer with my 3400RL, before this coach I had a 315RLS Mountaineer, used that for 2 summers with the previously stated method of operating the slides. Have had no trouble to this day with either of the rigs. This fall I did have the dealership lube and grease all the seals and slide mechanisms, they said all looked good and worked as supposed to.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 03:02 AM   #5
Outahere
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #724
Hi, we were told the very same thing as Montana Sky this past Oct. at the factory. The only differance was that they(The Techs) said if it was a "Large Kithchen Slide" that was going to be "Out" for 6-7 months, you might concider supporting it. But they also said to bring the slids in and out every once in a while, like at least once a month as mentioned by Montana Sky
Outahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 11:10 AM   #6
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
we never use them and ours are out for 6 months at a time.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 12:28 PM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Have never used supports in over 5 years of full timing in our Montana.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 08:30 AM   #8
genecurp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2535
Thanks everyone. In my 2006 owners manual, on a completely unrelated page, is a box memo recommending supports in an extending living situation. So...I will think on this. I am generally letting the Montana manual be my final arbitrator. We did have 6 adults on the living-dining slide one evening. Still undecided.

The manual does also recommend retracting and extending the slides once every week or too in order to keep lubrication up to snuff. Regardless of slide supports or not, I will do the periodic retract-extend.
genecurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 11:37 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Our 3295RK has three slides, two of which are "large" or "long". The living room slide goes out 39 inches and is long. We've had four adults in this slide, a heavy house-type sofa sleeper, my lazyboy, and end table, several things stored behind the chair, and never a problem. The longest it's been extended is two months. I personally would not risk using a support. These things are plenty strong in my opinion.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 02:19 PM   #10
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
We bought some when we were going to be set up for quite awhile and found that the slightest support under the big slide caused it to tip in at the top, so we took them out.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 03:12 AM   #11
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
Great decision, we have been parked for almost two years and no problems, some foks across from me in another brand RV have some and I see there slides tip and the seals are not lined up properly.
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 12:06 PM   #12
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
Thought about them when we bought the Monty, but in reality, I was afraid I would forget they were attached when we closed up. Last thing we needed was to have a slide out on the ground or and extender poking through the fiberglass. The Montana is our second fifth wheel and we had the slide on the other one out from April to October with no problem.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 02:45 AM   #13
MIMF2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3886
MMMMMM, you all have been trained well. Someday, one or all of you may have my job!

Don't use 'em.

Cycle the rooms once a month.

Keep the mechanisms clean and lightly lubed.

Aahh, life will be good!
MIMF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 04:08 PM   #14
Chaser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2310
Send a message via Yahoo to Chaser
Guess I'll jump in here too. We were told at the Rally in Minden, in October, 2005 not to use slide supports for all the reasons mentioned prior. We bought them based on the fact that we were going to be in one spot for a few months - but as long as you are sitting level and retract them (also already mentioned) on a regular basis, no supports are needed, and we have a 3295RK (2004) as well.

Evy & Mike Orlob (Chaser)
MOC #2310
Wintering in the Arizona Desert
Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote