Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2006, 11:03 AM   #1
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
FT pots and pans...

Cheryl needs help with this... We have a new Weber Baby Q. We have always grilled everything we could on the gas grill, even in the middle of the winter up here in N. Mich. So... with that in mind, Cheryl would like some idea of how many of her pots and pans she needs to keep, just to survive in a Montana full time.

Thanks in advance, gang!

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 11:10 AM   #2
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Here's what I'd recommend.....one large skillet with cover, one small skillet, two medium pots and covers, a dutch oven, cookie/pizza pan, cake pan, bread loaf pan, to start with for ideas. I'll probably have more on board by the time I get done 'cause I always over-pack. I'm moving our 'camping' set out and putting our better stick house set in. Might as well travel in style, whatever that is. Be sure she has a casserole and serving pieces for the MOC rally potlucks.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 12:22 PM   #3
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
One medium iron skillet, electric frying pan, two large pots with lids, one medium pot and one small pot with lids, pizza pan, small loaf pans, cookie sheet, cupcake sheet 9x9 baking dish. Measure the width and depth of the oven to make sure the baking dishes fit. We also BBQ quite a bit, but do half time and stove oven quite a bit. I agree with Judy, the casserole dish and serving pieces are necessities.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 12:53 PM   #4
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Dave, a lot of it depends how what you cook and if you bake. We don't do cakes, cookies etc. so do not take much in bake ware with us. I agree with the casserole although we have found a lot easier potluck way is to buy the throw away aluminum pans. We have a George Foreman grill that we use a lot. I have never put my electric skillet in the Monty but will when we fulltime as I like it for fried chicken and gravy. You can also bake in the electric skillet so it is a good thing to have. We monitored ourselves cooking at home and then decided what we would have in the 5th wheel. Over time we have changed a few things as you will probably do also. Remember there is always a Wally World close by.
Happy trails.......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 01:05 PM   #5
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
That's a great tip, Gary and Karen, about testing items to see if they fit in the oven. Even small cookie sheets don't always fit.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 01:10 PM   #6
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, gals! I will show Cheryl what we have so far. But keep the ideas coming please.

Sue, that Wally World idea sounds great in theory, but (and don't get me wrong - I love my wife) going to Wally World might not be as cheap as eating out every night... Cheryl claims those places are dangerous to her. We are working on this though.

Did you know that some news organization did a survey on Walmart shoppers a year or so ago and discovered that if you pick up a cart at the door in a Walmart, that shopper will spend an average of $103 MORE in that store, than they would w/o a cart.

Now you know why they have friendly retired guys shoving carts at everyone when they come through the door. And you thought they were just being courteous...
Old 05-09-2006, 01:18 PM   #7
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
Along with the pans listed above I have a crock pot and a pressure cooker that is wonderful to cook a nice roast from frozen to done in 35 minutes. I use our electric frying pan a lot instead of the oven.
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 01:27 PM   #8
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Linda, I forgot the crock pot - we have one also. Great for when you are gone all day.
Dave, I have a new plan for Wally World as I hate going there. I put no more than 2 or 3 things on my list and see how fast I can get out of there. Works most of the time!
Happy trails...........................
Old 05-09-2006, 01:48 PM   #9
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Whoa way too much stuff! See my post under "Do you write out a weekly meal plan?" and you'll better understand.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 02:15 PM   #10
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
I have a set of light weight Revere Ware with large pot, 3 qt pot, 2 qt pot, 1 qt pot and one small pot all with lids. I have one 10 in fry pan and one 6 in. Lids from the pots fit these. I have one 8x13 cake pan with cover for those pot lucks. I do keep aluminum pie pans, loaf pans and a couple other that I toss after using and I have some glass casserole bowls that can be used in the microwave as well as the oven. What I use the most besides our Baby Q is a crock pot, electric fry pan and Small George Foreman. I use the George foreman when the weather is real bad outside and I don't want Bill to go out to grill. If you have the combo micro and convection oven remember you can not use metal when using the micro so I found glass (pyrex or similar) to be the best. The food has to turn in the micro so the round fits best. You can not fit a 9x13 in the micro on the turntable. I brought a lot more but as we get closer to ending our first year on the road, I will be getting rid of anything we haven't used this year.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 02:54 PM   #11
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Dave,
Your getting a 3400RL! Just take one of everything.... I have all my pots and pans in the cabinet between the stove and the fridge. It all fits on those two shelves. Oh wait, sorry I have two pizza pans and a larger casserole pan in the stove when not in use. Never know when one wants to cook a frozen pizza... =)
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 06:32 PM   #12
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
I have been using the convection oven a lot more than I thought I would. I even tried cookies in there and used the round pizza pan to cook on. It has to fit and be able to turn. We are already taking things out that we haven't used. You have to keep thinking about how much it weighs. Glass is a lot heavier. I agree you need a casserole dish and again I went with a round one that would fit in the convection oven. It is amazing what you can cook in there. I also have a round white glass I think it is a quiche dish which I use to cook chicken etc on. We also picked up the new silicone baking dishes from costco. Blue color, flexible and hard to load in the oven but work well and don't break.
Also think plastic..like tupperware. One large bowl you can do salad in, mix things in etc.
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 11:54 AM   #13
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
Pot & Pans ummm, let me think, we have a ss 12" frying pan, 10" covered non-stick fry pan, a SS waterless cookware set of 1,2,3,4 & 8qt covered pots we have had since before we were married, I do bake, but have been trying to adjust to the silicone bakeware like Judy, (when I have it right..then and only then will I give up my glass pie, & cake dishes). I need to go to the silicone because the cookware is heavier than most. Oh I forgot, I do have a castiron scone pan too.

I have lots & lots of "lightweight" tupperware for serving dishes and storage of leftovers, etc. to make up for some of the weight. I have to admit we haven't used all the pots & pan very often, since moving into the RV, we find ourselves BBQing quite a bit. So we'll probably be giving some of those to the kids as well as the other stuff they got when we moved out of the stick house.

The only elec. stuff we have are the coffeepot, sm crockpot, sm steamer, esspresso machine, blender & mixer. Oops, I guess that shouldn't be "only" cause... now, when I see it in writting it looks like quite a bit, but wouldn't be without them. Okay, you got me, I really like to cook!

Joy T.
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 03:20 PM   #14
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Dave in addition to the above meantioned items, I also have my deep fryer on board and a small crockpot cum serving po wlectrically heated. I have my folding electric grill for breakfast that I just sit on the counter top, and use (it's insulated underneath), and our teapot and ice tea pitcher.
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 03:42 PM   #15
Roamingusa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4995
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

Cheryl needs help with this... We have a new Weber Baby Q. We have always grilled everything we could on the gas grill, even in the middle of the winter up here in N. Mich. So... with that in mind, Cheryl would like some idea of how many of her pots and pans she needs to keep, just to survive in a Montana full time.

Thanks in advance, gang!
I found this frying pan at K-Mart. Griddle and frying pan in one. Fits perfectly in my cupboard by the stove. Frying pan part takes a while to get hot, but it works great!

http://www.shopping.com/xGS-hamilton_beach_38500
Roamingusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 05:00 PM   #16
countrygirl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2831
I like a well equipped kitchen and that doesn't mean that you have to have everything available. If you enjoy cooking as I do, it isn't too good when you come up short of the right utensil or pot to cook something. So, I like Judy and others have basic pots and pans in the Montana. I would agree that you will need:
1 large skillet with lid
1 small skillet (non-stick)
2 pots with lids (1 med. and 1 sml)
2 mixing bowls (stainless steel) 1 med. and 1 sml.
1 cake pan (for biskits)
2 pyrex dishes for casseroles (1 large and a smaller one.)
several plastic containers to store food. some medium and some small.

The electric appliances are a personal choice . We don't have many of those.
A small Mr. Coffee
1 small hand held electric mixer
1 small toaster oven that also can be used to bake or warm

As far as utensils...the basics are
1 long fork
1 large knife
1 paring knife
large spoon
2 wooden spoons
1 egg turner
1 can opener
1 grater
That is about it for the utensils.
I reorganized my kitchen not long ago and found that I could do without a lot of stuff that I had been hauling around...so, now I have everything that I need right at my fingertips and it is well organized.
Hope that this gives you some ideas.
Countrygirl or Shirley
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 05:53 PM   #17
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks! More stuff to print off for Cheryl... This is great stuff.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:53 AM   #18
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
One thing that is needed, but not seen here is an old fashioned coffee pot. We lost our electricity on Memorial Day because of a huge storm that hit Northern Illinois. Power went off Monday night and did not come back on until late Tuesday morning. 12volt worked well and the fridge popped right over to gas. Unfortunately we weren't able to make coffee. So it's off to Walmart or CW to get a small coffee pot that heats the old fashioned way.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 05:17 AM   #19
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Good point Gary nd Karen, I forgot to mention that. We have had an old type percolator with us tucked away since we were in a campground many years ago that lost power for a week.
Happy trails............................
Old 06-06-2006, 06:17 AM   #20
countrygirl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2831
A percolater is a good item to have just in case of no power, I totally agree. We do have a Corning Ware percolater that makes wonderful coffee and we use it quite often. So, if you are a coffee drinker, add that to your list.
Countrygirl or Shirley
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote