Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2006, 04:13 PM   #41
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
As to the carpet in the coaches. We removed the carpet and linoleum from the living room and kitchen and replaced it with laminate flooring. The LR slide still has carpet as I haven't figured out how to make a smooth transition from the slide to the main floor. In addition to making the coach easier to clean, it also looks much larger. Here's a link if you want to see it. http://www.geocities.com/fulltimedre...4/lam_flr.html

As to drinking the water in the campground. We were campground hosts this summer in a state park. After drinking the water I became ill. After leaving the campground I got a little better but in another two weeks I became so ill that I spent three days in the hospital with IV's, stomach pump and anti-biotics. The final diagnosis was that I had been drinking water with a giardia infestation. The campground was having pump problems while we were there and the water had been contaminated and wasn't properly chlorinated. I will drink bottled water when camping from now on.

fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 04:30 PM   #42
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I guess we've met too many fulltiming Montana owners to believe they don't hold up or that lots of problems are the norm. It just aint so. Problems is about all we talk about here. We're not very good about saying how well our Montana has held up. We've had this one for four years come July and have fulltimed in it for 34 months. Our Montana has had a few problems but, for crying out loud, we've dragged it bouncing down the road, some very rough, for 40,000 miles. It's a house on wheels. How long would a stick home last under those conditions? I expect this Montana to last a long time yet and it shows every sign of doing just that. It will take some maintenance and occasional repair but I expect it to take good care of us as it has so far. Some folks have had lots of problems. Unfortunately you can substitute whatever brandname you want into that statement and it's still true. Even Prevost motorcoaches at 1 million and a half per copy.

Trapliner, I can relate to the miles on the truck. We bought ours a few days before you, October 25, 2004, and it is about 30 miles shy of 45,000 on it now. It will be 15 months old tomorrow. At that rate it will turn 200,000 at 5 yrs and 7 mos old.

Maybe some like tinkering with their rigs but I do it because it needs it, not because I like doing it. If this thing would repair itself and keep itself nicely washed and waxed I'd be a VERY happy fulltimer!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 08:54 AM   #43
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
I have fulltimed since Oct. 2001. My first rig was a '00 3255 Monty, have a '05 3670 Monty. I had less problems with the 2000 and feel it was better constructed, shower was nicer, front nosecap stronger, quality control was better. I still like the Montana better than most, but was disappointed some with the 2005.
The dealer is the glue for the problems, other than that just fix the small stuff yourself and expect things to be broken.
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 11:32 AM   #44
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Welcome to the forum, rvfirefighter. We are ordering a 3400 this spring and We have not had one previously, so we won't have a comparison. Maybe that will be good. We are prepared mentally for the little challenges that are certain to pop up. That will not dampen our enthusiasm for our new lifestyle we are going to be embarking on.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 02:05 PM   #45
Montana_89
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #89
Thanks for all your replys. I hope to go partial "fulltime" for about 5 months of the year in a short while!
Montana_89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 11:38 AM   #46
keham
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3778
Hmmmm still have not found that parrot pic.. of richfaa bird.
keham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 12:25 PM   #47
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The Parrot pic went away..new one soon..I am also retired Fed and school bus driver.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 02:52 PM   #48
Montana_4654

M.O.C. #4654
We are new to FT. Our 2003 Montana 36ftRL, and our Ford 350, crew cab extended bed with dully, pulls like a dream.
This being our first winter only problem we had was frozen water pipe line in the belly. Keystone did not change the water lines until 2004 model. They are located closer the bath area, deeper in the belly so it gets more of the heat. Thanks to this website, we found out to let the water run low stream, during the days and nights that you think it will be below freezing. We also use to small space heaters, one in the corner of the bedroom, the other in the living room area. We have two 100 pound butane tanks, that cost now $ 82.00 each. Heaters have been a big help in cutting down the fuel cost.
We looked for a long time to find a pre-owned one to try it out first. We paid more for this unit then we should have ($34,000) but it was in pristine condition, and the dealer threw in over $ 3000.00 of extras in the deal. The only regret we have at this time and it has nothing to do with Keystone, we brought the SPLENDID made in Italy front loading wash machine/dryer combo for $ 1700.00. It it a joke. I would advise you to buy american made stack set. My husband is 6'3" and his pants are too long for the small drum in the washer/dryer combo. I have to wash one pair at a time. They come out like someone tied them up in knots.
We have the large desk and that is where I operate my home based business. Hubby is retired. It took a while for me to get use to the walking straight pattern. We have been FT since Oct 2005, so use to it by now.
Very easy to clean, and I was worried about carpet traffic, but have to say the carpet is still in its new condition.
If you are going where it is very cold, make sure you order the extra storm windows, which can be kept under the bed. We will be going to Keystone next Summer to order them, and see what else we can update.
We love the table top that moves, that is a great advantage.
We are parked for now in Southeran Illinois, has been a mild winter, as I have to take care of my blind mother who is in a nursing home. when Jesus takes her home then we will be on the move.
So go buy your MONTANA, enjoy it for years to come.
God Bless!
Montana_4654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 04:50 PM   #49
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Ralph and Penny,
Congrats on your Montana purchase. We as sure glad to have you join us here on the MOC. Hope you have many more happy years to come in your coach. Keep us updated on how your Montana is treating you.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 05:58 AM   #50
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well as dsprik can tell you I poked, pulled, yanked, probed, crawled under, banged on examined every nook and cranny on the 3400 that was at the Toledo RV show last weekend and execpt for being able to disassemble the plumbing under the kitchen sink with my bare hands in about 2 min's found nothing wrong. Now I am not ready to throw a party at the Montana plant just yet but even I was impressed and told the Montana rep so..He nearly fainted when he heard that from me.. We ordered one and I have a good feeling about the quality..not a great feeling..but a good feeling..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 09:38 AM   #51
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Rich did do a lot of poking in unsual places. Does that sound bad? Even though they had the road side of the Montana right against the back wall of the convention center, we were able to squeeze back there - Rich a little easier than me - to inspect things, like the new shore station. Checked just about everything we could. We didn't think it would be appropriate to ask Bill to drop the belly panels for us...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 06:05 PM   #52
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
Richfaa, having read your posts and understanding how detailed you are,,, well,,, if you are impressed,, that's impressive
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote