Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 06-27-2006, 03:20 AM   #81
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
Helen and Kenny, thanks for the input on the phone service. Helen, I read in you blog that you had a little trouble finding a campground in Dawson Creek. Where did you finally find a spot? We are heading there from Prince George today, and are wondering if we can find a place to stay.
Bob

bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 04:53 AM   #82
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
Bob,
We have Cingular cell service so I didn't bother to respond...probably should have just said that.
On the campground in Dawson Creek, we stayed at Northern Lights RV Park. Also had trouble finding a space. We arrived in DC about 4:30pm and I believe we got the last space in town. Northern Lights was under remodeling and there was mud everywhere. They did not have wireless throughout the park but we lucked out and got space number 5 that was close enough to the "internet room" and were able to get slow wifi from the fiver.
virgil47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 05:48 AM   #83
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Yes Bob, DC has a lot of summer workers all living in the campgrounds so space is tight but we stayed at Northern Lights. It is the first one you come to and if you get there early you won't have a problem. I think we arrived about 2:00 and had plenty of spots that we could fit in to.

Virgil, now you will really get the HDT fever. LOL. Can't wait to hear how it goes.

Judy, We are at the Rainbow Village RV Park ??? (I don't know how they dare to call this a park) right by all the stores and highway. I wish we had gone inside Denali. It would have been easier then getting in here from what we saw. But then I wouldn't have had my WIFI . Bill had to call up all of his skills to get in this one, but as usual, he came through with flying colors. We could only get W&E but we should only be here for four days. We have a 7:00 shuttle appointment for tomorrow as far as they go in the park (85 miles). They said it takes 11 hours so today I will get some food fixed up and pack our picnic basket. We can hardly wait. We drove the fifteen miles they allow cars yesterday and will probably do that again today too.

Thanks for the tip on the chowder. We will try that today.
Where are you guys now?

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 08:01 AM   #84
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Helen, we're sitting in my dad's home in northern Illinois. We came up here from Le Roy, Illinois where our son is getting married on the Fourth of July. After the wedding, we're heading to Leech Lake in Minnesota for a week of fishing.

Rainbow Village RV Park is where we spent our eleven days in Denali, in the corner opposite the office. Barely got WiFi. Four days is enough to see everything in Denali. I hope you have lots of sightings in the park and have your camera ready. Sounds like you picked the right trip into the park. By the way, that spot by the bridge, the farthest where you can drive into the park, had a grizzly walking down the middle of the creek last year. Caused everybody to fly.

When you get to Anchorage, visit the Farmer's Market on Saturday. Very Interesting.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 01:34 PM   #85
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
Virgil and Helen, thanks for the input on the campgrounds in DC. We were trying to get as close to town as we could so we are at Tubby's (one of the last spaces). Verizon air card is still working. Hope it doesn't leave me in the poorhouse.
Bob
bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 01:38 PM   #86
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Night trip Judy??? When is that. It's light all the time.

We just came back from another drive and saw Four Dall Sheep. Two brown bear, One Rabbit and one Pica (I think that is what it's called) I got pictures of all but the rabbit.

We are leaving in the morning on the 7 AM shuttle and returning
by 10 PM. We found out today that the campgrounds at the 30 mile marker have room for up to 40ft. We might book a couple of extra days and move there after we see it tomorrow . If you camp that far up, you can drive most of the places that the shuttles go. I wish we had known that yesterday. We are at the opposite end of the campground. As far north as it goes and backed up to the trees. Verizon comes in great.
Helen
Old 06-27-2006, 03:56 PM   #87
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
If you folks visiting Alaska want another trip to remember swing into Talkeetna and check into a scenic flight around Denali. I've done it twice, the first time from the dirt strip located within the park behind the RR depot, which was great, but the best was with K2 Aviation out of Talkeetna. We went for the flight with a landing on Ruth Glacier. As I recall it was 2-3 hours, worth the price and I'll do it again if I get the chance.
Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 04:40 PM   #88
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Thanks. I have a coupon for buy one get one free on that trip. We're kinda scared to try it though because of Bill's motion sickness. We did the helicopter ride in Hawaii once and the rest of the week was spent in sick bay. Tell us more Don. Something like this is so smooth you won't even know you are airborne.

Helen
Old 06-27-2006, 05:56 PM   #89
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Helen, I think I typed R I G H T.....right trip. You had me going there for a minute. I couldn't figure out what you were talking about.
Old 06-27-2006, 06:17 PM   #90
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
oops Judy, That's what happens when you get too tired. Guess I should slow down a little.

H
Old 06-27-2006, 08:29 PM   #91
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
Hey Gang,

The trip to the Arctic Circle was waaaaaaaay cool. Musskeeters were as big as horseflys but other than that it was a blast. If I ever get back here, I will feel comfortable planning to drive to Deadhorse. The road up to the Circle was just not that bad. You definitely have to WANT to go because the road is MUDDY and rough in spots and the scenery was black spruce almost all the way but I believe it was worth it. Got my picture struck in front of the Arctic Circle sign.

Now to top it all off, I got to ride in a Volvo 610 HDT with 430HP and an Autoshift tranny. For a frustrated wannabetrucker, it was a blast! All in all it was one of the best days since I left Georgia in March.
Old 06-28-2006, 03:20 AM   #92
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Glad you had a good time Virgil. Did Jo go with you?
We have a friend from the Escapee Forum that just got back from Deadhorse. His name is Rudi and he is staying at the same park as you. I told him to drop by and see you so don't be surprised.

It is so cool when we all meet up like this.

Helen
Old 06-28-2006, 08:52 AM   #93
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
Helen, we were fortunate in that it was a clear calm day when we took the flight. Seeing the mountians up close by air is awesome.

Oh, I should mention that this is so smooth you won't even know you are airborne!

Have you considered leaving Bill on the ground?
Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 04:25 PM   #94
sgtpp214
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1782
Greetings everyone. I have forgotten to post on this thread. We are now in Santaland CG and will be lvg here on the 1st for Skagway. MIL is tiring out but she is hanging in there. DW and I went golfing at North Star GC today. It is the furtherest North GC in N. America. Not the greatest course, but we got a certificate. We are heading to the Artic Circle tour tommorrow. MIL liked the idea of getting a cert and pic taken there, but doesn't like the idea of riding the tour bus for that long. Except for the 75 miles of the AlCan just before entering AK it has been a great trip. We have seen everytime of wildlife including a grizzly. Got to the top of Sulfur MT, walked on a glacier, and now the circle. Life is great!

If it is convenient stop and camp at White River Crossing. The owner is a real northwoods character. Full hookup and he will point out that there is no TV. Did I mention power is provided by a generator which is turned off about midnight and back on about 4.

Will try to update things from Skagway if I have WiFi.

sgtpp214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 04:33 PM   #95
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Skagway has WiFi if you find the right campground. They should advertize. We stayed at Mountain View RV Park. Nice little park on themain drive into town with pullthroughs.

There's a great restaurant along the harbor on the left side as you look across the water. It's near the Ticket office for the ferry to Haines, which is a trip that you should take. It's a great day trip.

The drive into Skagway is one of the best drives on the entire journey.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:36 PM   #96
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
Helen,

Jo did not go. Just the HDT owner, Robb and I.

All,

Did a shake and howdy with Kenny and Virginia today. They are in the same campground. Enjoyed meeting them. They were off to explore and then I think they were going to also drive up to the Circle Thursday. Another adventuresome couple!

Old 06-29-2006, 05:05 AM   #97
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Don, we got up close and personal with the BIG one yesterday and it was awesome. Bill keeps telling me to do some of the things without him but it just wouldn't be the same. He is the one I want to share the excitement with, so we'll just have to find a way around small planes and cruise ships.

Yesterday we re-lived our trip to Switzerland as we looked at Mt McKinley. It sure reminded us of the wonderful time we had there too. We have been so blessed.

Helen
Old 06-29-2006, 08:18 PM   #98
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
Greetings, we are in Valdez. We picked up WiFi from another park, we are staying at Bayside RV Park. 29 bucks a night, full hookups, cable TV. Better than some we have stayed at, we were in a park on the Kultina River. Electric only, no phone service, wifi any of that stuff, but I caught my limit of Sockeye Salmon everyday. Had a great time, good people.
We will be in Valdez for at least 3 days, then back toward Anchorage. Any advice on a Glacier Tour out of Valdez? The drive into Valdez is more than worth the trip here. It does not get any better or prettier.
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 05:28 AM   #99
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Dave, some friends of ours from the Escapee's forum used their tour saver book for the Stan Stephens tour. The savings paid for the book. They said it was great. Six hours and saw sea otters, bald eagles, sea lions, humpback whales, puffins and a whole lot more plus great views of both the Colunbia and Mears glaciers. They raved about it.

Helen
Old 06-30-2006, 05:58 AM   #100
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
Where does one look and get one of the tour saver book?
We have seen Bald Eagles everywhere, limited numbers of Moose. They are in hiding.
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote